Looking for Schmidt Indians Info

Picked up another "different" DC item recently. Postcard with a drawing of a couple of Schmidt Indians shaking hands with who I take is the King and Queen of England. Can't tell which king and queen but they look young so guessing after 1952 or so when Elizabeth II came on the throne. As by the pic the Indians are in Minnesota and the royal couple are in Canada with Winnepeg in the background.

About all I know about this corps is the expensive unis and they are connected with Hamms Indians (previous? name). Any of you midwest DCPers want to fill in the blanks. Trying to find out what this postcard represents. Also years each name was in use.

Edit: Did a quick google and Elizabeth II visited Canada in 1957. Also visited in the early 1970s but that's not good for the post card. Previous King (George VI) and Queen visited Winnipeg (card has WinnEpeg) 1939 just before war broke out.... Hmmm.....

16_098.jpg

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

The post card depicts the king and queen of the U.K. The U.K. has not had a king since the current queen's father died. The post card must be from the '30's.

About all I know about this corps is the expensive unis and they are connected with Hamms Indians (previous? name).

I have posted this explanation before.

They were originally sponsored by Schmidt's.

After they drank that brewery dry, they moved over to Hamm's.

I have posted this explanation before.

They were originally sponsored by Schmidt's.

After they drank that brewery dry, they moved over to Hamm's.

Good thing it wasn't Schmidts of Philadelphia, they would have been too sick to continue. :tongue: OK, Schmidts then Hamms.... and ignore any reference to Skokie Indians....

And shame on me for not searching DCP for info. :huh2:

And as for the King of England, actually there isn't anything on the card saying who they are. But ol' Prince Phillip keeps a real low profile. And he would have probably be behind the queen in any pic. Found a pic of the royal couples vist to Winnipeg in 1939. That Queen Elizbeth had her hair about the way it shows in the postcard. Same woman that I remember as the "Queen Mum". (I have relatives in England so hear more about the royal family than I want to hear.) So now wondering if it is a 1939 postcard but didn't think too many corps used names back then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't resist putting this in from corpsreps :tongue:

One story relates that the corps had to borrow equipment from a junior corps at one competition because their trucks were too full of beer for the instruments to fit in. Another involves the frustration of an Army officer trying to inspect the feathery Indian costumes for uniformity.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Good thing it wasn't Schmidts of Philadelphia, they would have been too sick to continue. :tongue: OK, Schmidts then Hamms.... and ignore any reference to Skokie Indians....

So now wondering if it is a 1939 postcard but didn't think too many corps used names back then.

... and if you look at the card, the bass drum has only the Post # (8), the town (St. Paul) and the sponsor (Schmidts) ... there's now mention of "Indians" ... and FYI ... when I did a google on Winnipeg, half the results came up Winnepeg ... looks like a dual spelling is acceptable ... where do you find this stuff? ... tag sales? ... antique shops? ... facinating ... wonder how many thumps that bass drum head took from the tomahawk before it broke ... LOL ...

:-)

Picked up another "different" DC item recently. Postcard with a drawing of a couple of Schmidt Indians shaking hands with who I take is the King and Queen of England. Can't tell which king and queen but they look young so guessing after 1952 or so when Elizabeth II came on the throne. As by the pic the Indians are in Minnesota and the royal couple are in Canada with Winnepeg in the background.

About all I know about this corps is the expensive unis and they are connected with Hamms Indians (previous? name). Any of you midwest DCPers want to fill in the blanks. Trying to find out what this postcard represents. Also years each name was in use.

Edit: Did a quick google and Elizabeth II visited Canada in 1957. Also visited in the early 1970s but that's not good for the post card. Previous King (George VI) and Queen visited Winnipeg (card has WinnEpeg) 1939 just before war broke out.... Hmmm.....

16_098.jpg

Maybe that's a young Prince Phillip and not a king.

... and if you look at the card, the bass drum has only the Post # (8), the town (St. Paul) and the sponsor (Schmidts) ... there's now mention of "Indians" ... and FYI ... when I did a google on Winnipeg, half the results came up Winnepeg ... looks like a dual spelling is acceptable ... where do you find this stuff? ... tag sales? ... antique shops? ... facinating ... wonder how many thumps that bass drum head took from the tomahawk before it broke ... LOL ...

I search ebay once in a while for "drum corps" and "bugle corps", not to mention the names of my corps. Only problem now is most of the listings are for CDs of old shows and no idea who burned them. (Rather get my old show CDs from places I know like DCW, Fleetwood and POCM).

And true to my off beat sense of things, the weirder the DC item the better, including off-beat corps names (Doremus Jersey Skeeters).

But GREAT point, there is no name mentioned of the corps. Nothing like me seeing something that isn't there. So perhaps when the corps needed to pick a name they looked at the uniforms and :tongue: . If this is a 1939 card then they probably would have been called "St Paul Post #8 Drum & Bugle Corps". And I had the same problem googling Winne(i)peg.

And possible young Prince Phillip and current Queen Elizabeth. IIRC she was in her 20s when she became queen. Had to sit thru a BBC special on that subject when I visited my cousin in Bristol, England. Then after the show was over and it was dark I found out that half her block was destroyed in the Blitz. "Oh if it was light out I could show you the differences between the houses". Nothing like missing out on being in the middle of history when you can watch it on TV..... Of course we never got a chance to go back to look. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I search ebay once in a while for "drum corps" and "bugle corps", not to mention the names of my corps. Only problem now is most of the listings are for CDs of old shows and no idea who burned them. (Rather get my old show CDs from places I know like DCW, Fleetwood and POCM).

Ya know ... I see those CD offering all the time and wonder how he get's around Fleetwood's and Stetson's Copyright now that DCW is offering them up ... I know there's certain affiliations that have permission but, this guy runs amuck with his "through the years" stuff for just about any corps ... maybe no one has challenged him yet ... brings up a good point: anyone know who are the valid sources that can legally sell old DC recordings for profit? ... Ron - you know? ... you just went through this for your radio station - no?

Maybe that's a young Prince Phillip and not a king.

I believe it is from the Royal visit of the late 1930's. It is Elizabeth"s Father and mother

Ya know ... I see those CD offering all the time and wonder how he get's around Fleetwood's and Stetson's Copyright now that DCW is offering them up ... I know there's certain affiliations that have permission but, this guy runs amuck with his "through the years" stuff for just about any corps ... maybe no one has challenged him yet ... brings up a good point: anyone know who are the valid sources that can legally sell old DC recordings for profit? ... Ron - you know? ... you just went through this for your radio station - no?

Xactly.... Plus I know DCW uses the profits to clean up and release even more of the old tapes. So if no one buys from them, no more shows will see the light of day. And dealt with POCM when I found some home made tapes of shows that had never been recorded professionly (70s/80s Hershey Chocolatiers, few others). The recordings were cleaned up and put on the POCM list which beat letting the tapes rot and be lost forever. And pretty sure I read that the current Fleetwood group has rights of some sort to what they sell.