DCI Direct

We cannot argue about this now. I think this was a good article, however, I would have liked to heard more about the reasoning behind DCI moving and staying in Indy. What exactly does DCI get out of the town per contract?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, but what was it to begin with?

it's been discussed. some stuff got cut due to cost. we can't keep going back and beating them over why they did what they did. They need to fix it, and communicate about it. Here's hoping they do, or since people are saying they wont go in 2010 numbers look to be down, and if not fixed people that go this year may not go back.

Very Good Article Bob. What a great way to start the process of open and honest communication with a segment of the consumer base of this Great Activity of ours. For those who have not read Mr. Jacobs, I would encourage to read some of his ideas on the marketing side of our Activity. Most are on the Open Class Forum.

Fluff, No sir. I was one who took the survey. Bob was addressing questions that were raised in the survey.

In order for one to find a solution You first have to find the root cause. By putting together this great team of exports, it seems to me DCI is doing just that. Although I feel you left off one very important person form your team. That persons name is John Q Public. It is always good to have fresh eyes and ears on ones team.

Looks to me like the next step the team is doing is starting to disseminate the data they collected, and then start making recommendations. Will it be perfect in 2010? No! Will it be better? To me, without question. To me it seems DCI is being very pro-active on the sound issue. At least DCI is showing me their willingness in trying to be more transparent with their consumers. :thumbup: :thumbup: Constant pursuit of perfection. It is hard to ask more, is it not?

Bob, I look forward to your next article.

A BIG SHOUT OUT TO DCP AND DCI FOR COMING TOGETHER AND MAKING THIS HAPPEN

Dean

One of the things addressed in the article is about how difficult it will be to test based on having a live corps and fans. Aren't the Blue Stars and Madison Scouts in that area for much of the pre-season? And if there was an organized attempt at showing a free quasi-show in order to get the effects of having butts in the seats, I am sure many would show up.

One of the things addressed in the article is about how difficult it will be to test based on having a live corps and fans. Aren't the Blue Stars and Madison Scouts in that area for much of the pre-season? And if there was an organized attempt at showing a free quasi-show in order to get the effects of having butts in the seats, I am sure many would show up.

Heck, I'm only four hours away. I'd go!

With sweeping, unobstructed sight lines

that's not true, I had to ditch one of my seats in the 'friends' section due to a glass window

Depending on the location of your seats within the stadium, you may have enjoyed a spectacular World Championships experience by every measure… or you may have been disappointed by the reflected sound of the corps as it reverberated throughout various parts of the venue.

Really?

so where were the good sounding seats?

again, mid level, in the friends seats, the sound was bad, really bad

I also went around and checked out other areas of the stadium and the sound did change from location to location but it was never good, it was never even acceptable

so do tell, where are the good sound seats?

I don’t understand why it was a problem in the first place considering the press on the stadium supplied from DCI claiming it was acoustically state of the art

that's just a start as I don't have time to address this as I'd like but I will later - there are many problems with the info as presented

Nice idea, but I'd guess this would kill it:

" The sizable expense and logistics involved with temporarily rigging additional sound-dampening materials throughout the stadium for such a test is one issue,"

I don't know that 20,000 people are needed because I bet people would be willing to be assigned seats to help get a good distribution of listening positions tested. Maybe a person could be given a good seat for one corps and a less optimum seat (no bad seats in LOS, right?) for the other corps. The main thing is you wouldn't get the sound dampening benefits of all the bodies you have during championship week.

Recognizing that the “listening environment” inside the stadium is the very essence of the drum corps experience for participants and fans alike, Drum Corps International has joined with experts from within and outside of the drum corps activity, including Hall of Fame drum corps designers, professional adjudicators, award-winning sound engineering and television production experts, stadium logistics experts and city representatives in an aggressive continuing effort to identify, understand and address the challenges and to vastly improve the quality of the sound inside the stadium.

stadium logistics experts...

that’s the one that caught my eye, what exactly do they do? Are they a cost vs benefit type of person, do they have a background in acoustics?

Looking at all the titles there I don’t really see one that screams ‘I have the technical skills to design and install an acoustical fix.’

Who are the acoustic experts, the one that designed and installed acoustically successfully concerts halls, who draws up the plans?

Those titles are nice and all but weren’t they all also involved in delivering us a horrible, and late, acoustic product already? Am I’m to trust they get it right this time, fer real? Are not most of them just corps staff? Award winning audio engineer is great but I understand that was in a recorded medium with studio post-production, forgive me if I’m skeptical as to how that translate to fixing a massive dome for a live experience. How many of those 'titles' were at BOA in 2008 and then how could they have been surprised for the nasty at DCI 2009, why wasn’t it fixed prior?

Did they think we wouldn't notice the sound sucked, hard?

I’ve heard this all before, how they had all these experts, how it was state of the art for sound, how the intent was to have the roof and the window open and yet...

I don’t see the experts, I don’t see the change, I see the same people that delivered a sub-par and late product already.

oh, and I have more