Where are the best seats in Lucas Oil Stadium?

Personally, I like to move around during the breaks to get a better feel for the sound and sight lines offered at each stadium. At Champinships, I sat in Sections 140, 240, 340, 440, 540, and 640 during the 3 days of competition. I was not happy with the sound while seated in any of those sections The bass boom was very distracting and tending to cover up the sound from the brass and the pit.

After 1/4 finals I briefly met with some long-time drum corps friends. We have known each other August 1979 and spend time together each summer during the Tour. To date, the have attended Finals as a regular part of their summer vacations. They have a streak of DCI Championships of more than 20 years under their belts. However, they told me that there was no way that they would spend thousands of dollars to return to Lucus Oil Stadium for DCI Championships in 2010!

I understand how they feel. I sat through most of the Finals Week performances, but the poor sound quality became too much to bear 1/2 way though Finals. Even after having shelled out $125.00 for my Finals ticket, I could not take it any more. I left Finals after the Bluecoats' performance. That's right! I left the stadium right in the middle of Finals! I stopped the first cab I found and returned to my hotel. Disgusted.

:smile:

I will not be in attendance at the 2010 DCI Championships unless the roof is open.

This breaks my personal streak of Championships

I was unable to attend in 1972. My corps was competing elsewhere that weekend.

1973...Competed as a member of Blue Rock

1974...Attended Finals only as a fan

1975...Attended all competitions

1976...Attended all competitions

1977...Attended all competitions

1978...Attended all competitions

1979...Attended all competitions

1980...Attended all competitions

I was unable to attend in 1981 due to military service

1982...Attended all competitions

1983...Attended all competitions

1984...Attended all competitions

1985...Attended all competitions

1986...Attended all competitions

1987...Attended all competitions

1988...Attended all competitions

1989...Attended all competitions

1990...Attended all competitions

1991...Attended all competitions

1992...Attended all competitions

1993...Attended all competitions

1994...Attended all competitions

1995...Attended all competitions

1996...Attended all competitions

1997...Attended all competitions

1998...Attended all competitions

1999...Attended all competitions

2000...Attended all competitions

2001...Attended all competitions

2002...Attended all competitions

2003...Attended all competitions

2004...Attended all competitions

2006...Attended all competitions

2007...Attended all competitions

2008...Attended all competitions

2009...Attended all competitions

DCI...KEEP DRUM CORPS OUTDOORS!

I will attend some of the outdoor competitions across the country in 2010. Look for me in Dallas, Rock Hill, Murfreesboro, Allentown, Minneapolis, Gadsden, Kalamazoo, and more!

I said: "I will not be in attendance at the 2010 DCI Championships unless the roof is open."

After thinking very long and hard about not attending DCI Championships, I have re-considered. I will attend. However, I will not be spending $55.00, $75.00, and $125.00 for 1/4 finals, 1/2 finals and finals tickets!!! Why should I pay full price when I am getting bad sound quality? I'll just get my tickets at a deep discount from someone who needs to get rid of extra tickets! So, relax. I will be there! I just won't be paying a lot for my tickets!

Tour plans are shaping up nicely! It should be a great summer, OUTSIDE the domes!

• 6 years later...

Any updates on the sound in Lucas Oil and reviews of sections to sit in? I only ask in this thread as it is the first non-dci.org result when Googling "best seats DCI Finals" (and personal curiousity).

Honestly, having been there as both a spectator and performer, I thought the sound was just fine except for right in the endzone, and considering that all the horns, speakers, and drum scoops are pointing away from you there, that's to be expected. Having been in the mid-level on the side 1 35, between the 40s in the 100s, in the 600s both to the front of the section on about the side 1 30, to the middle of the section around the 35, and in the front of the section right on the 50, and finally in the side 2 end zone, it's fine anywhere except there, and even there it's still not horrible. If anything, the echoes enhanced the clean horn cutoffs.

I'd recommend the 600s. The view is spectacular- when I was on the 50 it looked like I might as well be watching the high cam on the jumbotron- and the sound quality is still pretty good. During semis and prelims, the members of corps who've already performed tend to come up there- I saw the entire Colt Cadets go up there this year for the Colts- and it's always interesting to hear their take on the shows.

The only places in LOS where you can get both decent sound quality AND decent visual quality is in the seats where you have to donate hundreds or thousands of dollars to get them.

Otherwise, pick one or the other, or pick both during different nights. Like the above poster said, the top balcony, especially in the front on the 50, is probably the best visual seats in the stadium - it's just that the sound isn't the best there. Your nose might bleed, but your ears won't.

I think I'm going to skip Finals weekend and instead go to Akron for the ToC competition that Monday. 4 hour drive instead of 5 hours, and sound oughta be great. I much more prefer any outdoor venue over any indoor venue. Unless, of course, it rains, then I'd be wishing it was indoor. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Massillon is always a good time! Great sound, greater crowd, and 8 out of the Top 9 of 2015! I wish BD was there, but it's still amazing. Cheap food too!

I still say that other than Madison or Arrowhead... Bloomington was BY FAR a PERFECT "stadium" for finals.... The only reasson I don't say a perfect "venue" is due to the lack of hotels and other stuff to do... But it's really hard to disagree with a WALL of people!

fc7dqu.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly, having been seated on the 50 in the "prime seats" available only to sponsors, in a suite, on the 25 yard line, on the front sideline, and more, I have to say that the best seats in Lucas Oil are on your couch at home, watching the webcast.

The place just destroys the sound for live performances.

Honestly, having been seated on the 50 in the "prime seats" available only to sponsors, in a suite, on the 25 yard line, on the front sideline, and more, I have to say that the best seats in Lucas Oil are on your couch at home, watching the webcast.

The place just destroys the sound for live performances.

I'm glad for the kids that many of us disagree with you. Yea, the sound takes some getting used to (corps have actually done a better job of designing for the weaknesses of the acoustics), but the air conditioning is nice, the food choices are adequate in the stadium and wonderful outside it, and the seats are as comfortable as I've ever found and make sitting for 12 hours of shows very doable.

And, not matter all of those niceties, there's NOTHING like the electricity in the place on Saturday night. Bloomington's "wall" can't be topped, IMO, but short of perfect acoustics, LOS is WWWAAAAAYYYY better live than over the net, IMO.

(I do note that you gave four different seating locations, which connotes that you've gone to Indy four of 6 years and now stay home, right?)

Is this a record - digging up a thread from 2009 - impressive!

Garfield, I'm glad you and other like minded people attend. My last finals was 2008, in the glorious outdoors. Clearly my money isn't needed.