Demographics of Marching Members Today

Marching Member Demographics  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a current marching member ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Are you a music major (any degree) ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. How far did you travel to camps?

• 1 hr or less (drive)
    • 2-4 hr (drive)
    • 4-6 hr (drive)
    • 6-8hr (drive)
    • 8-12hr (drive)
    • >12hr (drive)
    • 1 hr (flight)
    • 2 hr (flight)
    • 3 hr (flight)
    • 4 hr (flight)
    • > 4hr (flight)
    • International Flight

not in *real* states...lol.

in any case the implication of the "out-of-state" comment was "from no where near the corps' home base".

Allentown is 30 minutes from NJ :shutup:

This poll is spin-off of the "The Real Deal" thread. The statement was made that 90% of current corps members are from out-of-state and that they are all music majors. Curious to see what DCP has to say about that....

Yeah, every so often someone out here on the DCP gets all wound up and makes an outrageous (and usually unsupportable) pronouncement like that.

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

States are also relative. 200 miles east, and I'm out of state. 300 miles north and I'm out of state. 600 miles west and I'm out of state. Or NOT, It might be a dozen or more miles past that until I've actually passed a state line. Where in other regions, 700 miles would cross FIVE state lines(WI, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY).

Back when I marched, it was also argued that everyone was a music major. And a fair majority of those old enough to be in college were in fact music majors. Or were to become music majors for at least one semester in their lifetime. With the information age, I doubt that's still the case. Not that making noise for a living is any less realistic these days, we're just more aware of it now. I eventually chose other paths realizing that I didn't want to spend my days with kids until death do us part. And other this person accused that person of stuff and 4+ years of education and a career otherwise terminated based on hear say. Not my cup of tea. Not that the Army was much different. We don't like the way you look, you're fired. gotta love RIF (and Clinton).

marched 2004

was a music major - started college after i marched but am now two years out (ok sorry i went past the 5 year clip but at 23 i figured it was good enough)

drove 2 hours

Starting in 2006, DCI conducted a number of primary research projects aimed at better understanding the students that participate and those that attend events and purchase products.

the core project was Project Persona -- a research program designed to help DCI get more information about the students that participated - who they are? why are they there? In 2006, 2007 and 2008 students particpating in World Class corps (in 2008 Open Class was added) were invited to complete an extensive on-line questionairre. Each year, more than 1000 World Class students participated. Additionally, personal one-on-one interviews with approximately 50 students were conducted.

In 2007, DCI conducted a season long audience profile project.

Attached is a very short summary of the 2007 Persona study and a statisical summary of the 2007 Audience Profile study. Note that distances traveled were calculated by using zip code information and latitude/longitude information. Income and housing value information were calculated by using standard zip code profile information.

click the link below to review these two slides.

hope this helps the disucssion.

steve

2007 Research Summary

Edited by stevedci

Marched 06-07 with Colts. I have a degree in Music Ed. I drove from Fargo, ND to Dubuque, IA. Depending on the weather it was at most a 9 hour drive.

• 6 years later...

Please feel free to add details in a post.

This poll is spin-off of the "The Real Deal" thread. The statement was made that 90% of current corps members are from out-of-state and that they are all music majors. Curious to see what DCP has to say about that....

Fast FORWARD to the 2015 survey by DCI...these numbers tell a different story

wc%20by%20numbers%202016%20annual%20meet

Fast FORWARD to the 2015 survey by DCI...these numbers tell a different story

So if I'm reading that infographic correctly, about 60% are music majors and also about 80% are traveling more than 100 miles to participate.

Members should be required to march with a corps within their defined drum corps region. If you live in the Midwest, you march with a corps in the Midwest. Drum Corps need more local membership. The current anything goes model is waaaay too costly for all involved.

Members should be required to march with a corps within their defined drum corps region. If you live in the Midwest, you march with a corps in the Midwest. Drum Corps need more local membership. The current anything goes model is waaaay too costly for all involved.