Did Neil Peart ever march

I always wondered about that, since Pert has a really distinctive, assertive, articulated style that sounds drum corps influenced ... But his style also sounded like late '70s/'80s corps style in the early '70s.

Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater also has a signature sound very much like Perts (the Dream Theater boys were all hugely influenced by Rush and they make no bones about it.) Portnoy never marched either.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an old thread but I am just reading it so...

Neil never marched...and if you listen close with a good drum corps drummers ear...he does not posess that distinct attribute that comes from a drum corps drummer moving to mainstream. However a great drummer...

One who DID march, however, is Billy Cobham. And listening closely to him he totally posesses that distinct sound one would have coming from a drum corps background. I am not exactly sure which corps Billy played in but I want to say NY Skyliners....does anyone know for sure?...All I know for sure is he DEFINATELY marched!

One who DID march, however, is Billy Cobham. And listening closely to him he totally posesses that distinct sound one would have coming from a drum corps background. I am not exactly sure which corps Billy played in but I want to say NY Skyliners....does anyone know for sure?...All I know for sure is he DEFINATELY marched!

St. Catherine's Queensmen.

He, Geddy, Alex and untold numbers of fans should march on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and demand an explanation about why Rush is not yet in the Hall of Fame! I mean, it's great that Blondie, Parliament-Funkadelic, Run-D.M.C. and The Clash, among others, are recognized there for their contributions to rock and roll....but why this trio continues to be excluded is beyond me.

Rant off!

Sunrises too I believe. Steve Gadd marched with the Rochester Cursaders as well

St. Catherine's Queensmen.

Steve Gadd marched with the Rochester Crusaders as well.

The old original Drum Corps World of the 1950s/1960s even pretty much said that "little" Stevie Gadd (he was only 11 or 12 years-old at the time) would someday be a star in the world of drumming.

Another famed drummer who has a drum corps background is Hal Blaine (member of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame), probably the most prolific drummer in pop music history. Hal told me he marched with a Catholic church corps in Connecticut growing up. He actually played on so many famous recordings it's amazing. He played on 6 consecutive Grammy Award record of the year winners in the 1960s.....A Taste Of Honey, Strangers In The Night, Up Up & Away, Mrs. Robinson, Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

And why doesn't anyone seem to dress as Santa for Halloween?

I have... :thumbup:

He, Geddy, Alex and untold numbers of fans should march on the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and demand an explanation about why Rush is not yet in the Hall of Fame! I mean, it's great that Blondie, Parliament-Funkadelic, Run-D.M.C. and The Clash, among others, are recognized there for their contributions to rock and roll....but why this trio continues to be excluded is beyond me.

Rant off!

x2

Will be off to Vegas in August to see 'em live. :thumbup:

The corps that would have been possible were...

Chessmen from St Catherines, Conqueror from Hamilton, Grantham Police Boys, or TORONTO Optimists, Guelph Opti-Knights, York Lions, Flying Dutchmen, Cardinals and of course....THE BLOUSEMEN.

Neil Peart marched Blousemen, thats it!