Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

I also agree with all this, and at the same time, I've heard there's still quite a few

things that will be added to the show that are designed to boost the overall

general effect and excitement. I wish I could make it out to Finals to see

this show again!

Ya, Jeff I am with you. It is still early, there is more to come. If you all look back the last 3 years, this Corps sure does know how to bring it, at the end of the year. Ya, I am hoping for special things from the MADISON SCOUTS! this last month of the 2010 season. I sure am having a good time with the product they are putting out right now, cant wait to see it evolve for Championship weekend. Hell, I just might have to go. This weekend should be great live, agianst everyone. Sorry to rub it in my brother, but I will have a beer for you this weekend in Minn. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

Jason

Edited by thirdcoast

Jim Mason could have done so much more with the Scouts this year. . From this point, he can move them into something more advanced.

That is what has some of us concerned. We hear " something more advanced ", and we think " good stuff for the DCI judges, but bad stuff for most of us fans ".

'Guess I'll just have to enjoy the moment with the good stuff offered up by Madison Scouts this year.

Edited by BRASSO

That is what has some of us concerned. We hear " something more advanced ", and we think " good stuff for the DCI judges, but bad stuff for most of us fans ".

'Guess I'll just have to enjoy the moment with the good stuff offered up by Madison Scouts this year.

From what I understand, the number one goal for this year, AND the years to follow,

is to make sure the Madison Scouts are the crowd favorite. The secondary goal is

to improve competitively. I think this staff has already shown that both are possible.

I also think Corps like Crown and Bluecoats have definitely shown this as well.

Well, Jim is a huge proponent of ensuring that the pieces that are selected for performance by the corps are given as much musical credit as possible. In case you didn't notice this year, the men are playing "Rhapsody in Blue" not "Aire on themes from Rhapsody in Blue." Obviously you can't play 15 minutes of music in 5 minutes of show, but you have to admit, it's a much more faithful interpretation than a lot of selections in modern drum corps. No one looked at it and went "Which section can we butcher to make a trumpet feature that is harder than the orginal music?"

the team with the Scouts are doing exactly what they needed to do this year...get people excited again, and make the corps better.

reminds me of watching the Bluecoats in 2000 after falling out in 99

I love the show this year. I think it is awesome! I'm not sure what people's gripes are with the drill. I think it's very well designed. I think the whole show is, and I'm very happy. I do think this show has the potential to beat Boston and Blue Stars, but as long as they make finals I'm happy.

From what I understand, the number one goal for this year, AND the years to follow,

is to make sure the Madison Scouts are the crowd favorite. The secondary goal is

to improve competitively.

If this happens. ie... continuing to be a " crowd favorite ", then that' d be very good thing indeed.

I love the show this year. I think it is awesome! I'm not sure what people's gripes are with the drill. I think it's very well designed. I think the whole show is, and I'm very happy. I do think this show has the potential to beat Boston and Blue Stars, but as long as they make finals I'm happy.

I agree with this. There's a lot more fight in this corps and this design team and I highly doubt, as a matter of pride, that they're gonna sit back and be content in 11th when they see that 2-3 spots higher are available to them. I can see them beating Boston, BS and BK or more. There's a lot yet to happen. I think they'll definitely be scoring in the low 80's on Friday and Saturday.

Yeah. Madison's weak link is clearly their creative staff.

/sarcasm

C'mon. Madison is a virtual lock into finals. The design team could have created a dream Madison show that this group couldn't have possibly performed. Would that have been better?

My point is that IMO design and design team have disproportionate effect on scoring and placing in DCI. Madison's team cannot be considered a premier DCI design team (for purposes of my argument) at this point because they have been out of the game so long.

Well, Jim is a huge proponent of ensuring that the pieces that are selected for performance by the corps are given as much musical credit as possible. In case you didn't notice this year, the men are playing "Rhapsody in Blue" not "Aire on themes from Rhapsody in Blue." Obviously you can't play 15 minutes of music in 5 minutes of show, but you have to admit, it's a much more faithful interpretation than a lot of selections in modern drum corps. No one looked at it and went "Which section can we butcher to make a trumpet feature that is harder than the orginal music?"

Interestingly enough, if you had seen Madison in 1974 and 1975 you would have seen much the same going on for their early season versions of both Slaughter and Rhapsody. They got sliced and diced as the season went on ostensibly for maximum effect. The funny thing is given the current activitys better marching playing and equipment, Scouts today could play the 1975 version pretty faithfully and it would probably be as effective now as it was then.