Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

Its especially strange since their drumline looked in the spring to be quite improved. Personally I can't say I know why anything is what it is in DCI these days. I didnt see Madison as down to Cadets by so much at Drums On Parade 3 weeks ago. The hornline was solid and mature and frankly sounded better than anyones that night. Percussion was very solid and the guard was clearly improved. For that matter I just watched 2008 Legacy videos and I have no idea of the difference from about 4-12. They all performed superbly, marched superbly and communicated their shows. About the ONLY thing I was sure of in 2008 was that the right corps (Phantom) won it.

This always brings me back to my usual rant that who wins and loses now appears to be decided by who wrote your show, and how you perform it secondarily.

If that were the case, Scouts would probably be in the Top 5 with their design team

This always brings me back to my usual rant that who wins and loses now appears to be decided by who wrote your show, and how you perform it secondarily.

Think maybe they need a stronger creative team?

Interesting stuff - they're about where I figured they'd be at this point - knocking on some doors they haven't knocked on for a while.

Here's my daring prediction - Scouts will beat no fewer than 2 groups that no one is figuring on them grabbing this season. Not crazy enough to name the groups but there you have it on July 12th.

And next year? ........

Think maybe they need a stronger creative team?

Interesting stuff - they're about where I figured they'd be at this point - knocking on some doors they haven't knocked on for a while.

Here's my daring prediction - Scouts will beat no fewer than 2 groups that no one is figuring on them grabbing this season. Not crazy enough to name the groups but there you have it on July 12th.

And next year? ........

Jim Mason could have done so much more with the Scouts this year. But because he's highly intelligent and understands what it takes to make Madison "Madison" again, he didn't. I was talking with him about this at the Scouts' home show and he mentioned the intent of this year's production, which was to re-establish the brand and identity. From this point, he can move them into something more advanced.

Restraint is a very hard thing to practice; especially in the world of pageantry. I think Jim and his crew did exactly what they needed to do. The corps needed to be on firm ground first. Now, they can start climbing the mountain again. At least they're not treading water to stay afloat. Good years lie ahead and this is the first of the good years.

Jim Mason could have done so much more with the Scouts this year. But because he's highly intelligent and understands what it takes to make Madison "Madison" again, he didn't. I was talking with him about this at the Scouts' home show and he mentioned the intent of this year's production, which was to re-establish the brand and identity. From this point, he can move them into something more advanced.

In the offseason, I would have commended this choice. And perhaps it's still the correct one. But it seems to me that the corps is better than we would've expected. Maybe they could've done more and pushed up the rankings a spot or two.

In the offseason, I would have commended this choice. And perhaps it's still the correct one. But it seems to me that the corps is better than we would've expected. Maybe they could've done more and pushed up the rankings a spot or two.

It's better than some might have expected because of a solid instructional staff. The whole thing about hindsight aside, I believe what was done this year (and how it was done) will be looked back upon as a solid step in the right direction.

Restraint is a very hard thing to practice; especially in the world of pageantry. I think Jim and his crew did exactly what they needed to do. The corps needed to be on firm ground first. Now, they can start climbing the mountain again. At least they're not treading water to stay afloat. Good years lie ahead and this is the first of the good years.

I agree with all of this, and I applaud the Scouts design team for not doing too much too quick. While many were predicting or hoping for Top 6 right out of the gate, It's great that Mason and the team are making smaller, more realistic goals while building the corps back up. This show DEFINITELY feels like THE Madison Scouts, and if the goal is to re-establish the Scouts brand I think mission accomplished. I think this show should (hopefully) put Madison back into finals, and will be a good jumping-off-point for the future.

I agree with all of this, and I applaud the Scouts design team for not doing too much too quick. While many were predicting or hoping for Top 6 right out of the gate, It's great that Mason and the team are making smaller, more realistic goals while building the corps back up. This show DEFINITELY feels like THE Madison Scouts, and if the goal is to re-establish the Scouts brand I think mission accomplished. I think this show should (hopefully) put Madison back into finals, and will be a good jumping-off-point for the future.

I also agree with all this, and at the same time, I've heard there's still quite a few

things that will be added to the show that are designed to boost the overall

general effect and excitement. I wish I could make it out to Finals to see

this show again!

If that were the case, Scouts would probably be in the Top 5 with their design team

Except that this team has not been prominent for some time now.

Please, they haven been prominent on the field but they know what they're doing. Don't ever doubt that.

Yeah. Madison's weak link is clearly their creative staff.

/sarcasm

C'mon. Madison is a virtual lock into finals. The design team could have created a dream Madison show that this group couldn't have possibly performed. Would that have been better?