South Florida WGA Premier review

MiamiNight

READER BEWARE! Not all of this review is positive. I sometimes offer my own opinions that are not always PC. While every performer should be encouraged, I do find faults in shows (it’s a competition!). So apologies before hand, but these are my thoughts.

Although I caught a couple of novice groups, I missed all of B and JV class because of another commitment in the morning. I think SFWGA should consider splitting Guard and Percussion premier. The 8 am start was a drag. Also, could we follow the rest of the country and premier a week earlier? Also, how about more than one local show in March? Yes I know, the regional and then its Orlando, but really? And about that March show, thats the one you put in Palm Beach? Ah, I guess that's a complicated issue and money's tight for schools trying to host. Anyways, I got up early and enjoyed a great show.

The gym at West Broward is brand new but small, and overflowing for the world class units. Coming from midwest gyms, I'll never understand this (for instance, my high school was 1/10th of the population yet had a gym easily double or triple that capacity.)

Apologies in advance, it was a long day (I worked my two jobs besides the show), so some of the earlier SA and Nat’l A shows have escaped me. I forgot to take notes, so forgive the occasional lack of information.

And on a tangential note, what do directors have against posting their show information online? I would love to know the title of your show and your music, because I found it entertaining and would like to let others know about it. I think it builds hype and gets people excited about your show. By the time its posted (early January), no one is going to steal your music or show idea. *grumble grumble*

Starting in SA (which is Regional A elsewhere):

Hollywood Hills (42. 7) – Unfortunately, this wasn’t the class for them. Good ideas but need to finish the show and I think they will drop back to SB.

Cardinal Gibbons (52. 8) – Another unit pushing for this group. A larger group than last year, they’re blessed with good writing but struggling to pull it off.

Cooper City (58.9) – I was surprised they didn’t score higher, but could understand why the judges placed them here. They folded their JV unit into the varsity and dropped all the way from Open. It makes sense, as some performers shined but the majority had first show-itis. However, the group has been trained and had some good moments like their flag feature.

J.P. Taravella (61.8) – Another group that came down from Open (although it was A for half the year). Again, good moments interspersed with missing work. Liked it .

---Its obvious that the lack of a JV program can change a group’s goals and show for the year. Unfortunately until some of these units develop a feeder program, they’re combined shows leave me wanting more. The show will be great at the end of the year, but you’re left to wonder what if. –

Miami Springs (62.3) – This was an interesting and exciting group. Their concept was great, and the music was intriguing. They swept the GE and Ensemble captions, thanks to a complete show and some great moments. I love the little rabbit ears. They’ll have to add in their equipment work, but I think this is a great start. Really liked this show.

Miami Coral Park (64.6) – Congrats to good show that was also nearly complete. (Hey directors take note! It’s possible to have a good complete show by the end of January!) Their show was about the people of the night, with some great music from Roisin Murphy. Their weapons were hot, and the tosses sky high. The flags need some more oomph, and I was concerned about a couple of jarring soundtrack issues that interrupted the flow of the show. But I can’t knock the dancing or the concept.

National A:

I think these scores might be a bit inflated (giving a bit too much credit to Seminole Ridge before seeing the rest of the pack), but if they’re real, South Florida has some strong contenders this season!

Seminole Ridge (69.5) – Finally taking the plunge into Nat’l A, they started off Nat’l A with a soft and pretty show. I think the artist was Missy Higgins (thanks Cooper from last year!) and the ladies managed it nicely. 12 ladies earned 2nd in Equipment thanks to some strong weapons and beautiful flags. I think they’ll need to put some more emotion into this show to get it where it needs to go.

John A. Fergusson (71.7) – I was rooting for this show, but I think a music editor would be immensely helpful. I like the idea of “1,” which uses several versions of the song “One is the loneliest number” and gives many members a chance to spotlight themselves, but the soundtrack’s editing seemed off and at some points didn’t allow for good pacing. The spotlights though were outstanding, with good solos. The uniforms were sharp and the attitude was thoroughly given. Let’s hope the show cleans up to really showcase that attitude.

Park Vista (72.6) – On a cool floor, Park Vista used a favorite song of mine (Return to Oz by the Scissor Sisters) and did a great job with it. Not a storylined show, but still entertaining. I liked the floor, but didn’t know if it meant anything (Z?). I’m sure it was practice silks, but color choices should be addressed. Really liked this group.

Cypress Bay (77.4) – One of my favorite shows of the night, Cypress also took a larger group (No JV!) from their great marching band and made a good show about pushing people out of the way. Using a Regina Spektor song from her new album (I recognized it immediately but have since forgotten it), the group pushed people out of their way on the way to a good show. The weapons highlighted the show, and I suspect they come from last years group and the marching band. A couple of individual struggles, but another great show. Loved it!

Coral Glades (78.4) – A well-deserved score from a well-trained group. I’ll admit, its not my favorite style of show, but I appreciate what makes this show good. Good design and execution, but it’s not the kind of show that makes a huge impact statement.

West Broward (80.4) – Talk about making a statement! I think this score was a bit generous, but the ladies from this ensemble rocked their home show. Complete with show uniforms, silks and floor, they took the class with a complete, finished show. Their soloists rocked their weapon tosses, and they capitalized on their ensemble moments (no performers sticking out!). ON the downside, I couldn’t follow the show. I don’t really understand what it was about, although they used some Imogen Heap song from her new album. Clean it up and rock Dayton, because this show will be in finals competing for the top.

Independent A:

Medea (75.3) – Taking a giant leap forward from last year, Medea gave a great show about reflections in the moonlight. They used some giant window props, and although there was some “variation from performer to performer,” I loved the concept and the way it was presented. It was easy to follow and had good moments. I hope they continue to refine their show, and I hope they go (wish they were going?) to Dayton.

Scholastic Open:

Spanish River (58.2) – On the other hand, Spanish River may have taken a step back from last years 2nd place finish in A class. The unit had some strong performers, but some weak ones. And despite the fact that I’m not a fan of Sage-style shows anyway, this show was just not up to par. I couldn’t find a concept (flowers? [sarcasm alert! What a surprise for Sage!] sorry). I found my attention wandering. However, one moment was beautiful and gorgeous, and that was the build-up into the flag feature. That part I loved. And I know Sage shows finish strong, so we’ll see how this show turns out.

Stoneman Douglas (61.4) – Stoneman took the year to reflect on their success, which means back to Open class and no Dayton. But the direction they took for their show was fantastic. They used Ingrid Michaelson’s “Turn to Stone” (one of the “it” songs this year) and overlayed snippets of previous shows into the music. The result was a beautiful and touching look back at their shows while trying not to “turn to stone.” A great memory/tribute show, and I found myself focusing even harder to get the references. Okay, so there were some weak links in the guard and some dead moments, but a fan of the this guard will appreciate the direction they’ve taken. It’s not the in-your-face Stoneman we’ve known, but I like this group too.

Santaluces (71.1) – Wow, this was my other favorite show not in world class. I think this show was low-balled in score, and I think they have the show to push themselves to a great finish in Dayton. They were using last years floor and practice silks, but they created a great atmosphere with the song “Two steps away.” Great ensemble and GE moments, and I loved it.

Independent Open:

FIU (67.3) – This group made a strong entrance into Open class with a crowd-pleasing show. Similar to last year, their lack of uniforms make them look a little ragtag, but they were much stronger than last year. The weapons were good, and the blues beautiful. Clearly an early season show, I think this has a lot of room to grow and develop. It seemed short to me, and I couldn’t tell if it actually was (as in cut-off) or if it was just a lot going on and I couldn’t keep up. I’m pleasantly surprised by this show, and I hope they continue to get the most out of the pretty show.

Scholastic World:

Flangan (73) – A truly intellectual show from the class of South Florida Scholastic units. “Atlas Shrugged” takes elements from the book and weaves it into a classic Flanagan show. Although that is one of my complaints; Flanagan has a habit of presenting a somewhat formulaic show, and it comes off as slightly stale this year. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a great show with plenty to get excited about. But its not a new direction or a completely different idea, just good Flanagan. And although I like the music, it was used last year by Diamante (its from The Dark Knight). Their weapons were phenomenal, and the flag feature good. But I think the emotional element was missing as it has from their shows the last couple of years. I hope they made the guard read the book, cuz that would help the guard in my opinion. Really liked the show, but wanted that emotional pull I usually get from Flanagan and I just didn’t.

Independent World:

Premonition (69.9) – Premonition is making a name for themselves as the fast, exciting tricky show masters from Ft. Lauderdale. Their show about “Obsession” was rightfully exciting and unnerving. Here’s my complaint though: they’re using the same music as Diamante (and Flanagan [the Dark Knight – South Florida may be sick of it by the end of this season]) as well as Ars Nova (the 1-2-3-4-5-6 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 operatic music) did from last season. While these soundtrack choices are great (I do love the music), I question why you would use it when those two units will be some of your direct competitors this year. Choose something new. Also, the doors were cool, but as with any moving prop (doors, a la Northmont last year), they can be a bit distracting. One cool feature was the chalk they used to write on the floor with, but the point may have been missed. In the small gym, I couldn’t see it because of the vantage point, and I think in a larger gym you wouldn’t be able to read it either because its so light and so far away. Hopefully, they figure it out so it’s a great GE effect. All in all, I thought this group would’ve scored higher and closer to Braddock. I really do like the show.

Braddock (76.2) – Wow, talk about some great dance. And after hearing what this show is about, I enjoyed it even more. It’s a step in a different direction, and gloriously awesome one. If it is about the last hour of Jesus’ life (and I think it is, with some fantastic symbolism), then this show is one for the ages. The show wasn’t finished yet I’m sure, and I can’t wait to see the end. Just jaw-dropping good. There’s still Braddock sexiness, but a little less crowd-pleasing and a little more seriousness. I loved it, and it was my favorite show. Can’t wait to see them in March.

So that’s my review, and again sorry for the unkind words.

I’m looking forward to the Ft. Lauderdale regional!

I didnt get to see the whole show BUTwould agree with some of what was said. Love Braddock, What a new direction in the past 2 years . The change has been wonderful

Have to agree about Flanagan although still very strong. So much talent , wish we can see variety from year to year. Premonition, well I think this staff studied ALOT of old WGI tapes..the writing....Bishop Kerney, doors....where do I start..( not that things cant be repeated ) Strong though and Im sure will excite the new viewers. Personally I thought score was a bit inflated.

S. Fla. surley strong.