Posting prelims scores

TrishDish1002

At the Trumbull Regional, we were told that there is a new rule stating that they must wait until an entire class has performed before prelims scores will be posted.

Our kids were practicing not knowing whether or not they made finals - thankfully they did and after rehearsal we had to turn right around and go back to the high school for finals.

Please tell me that this doesn't mean that in Dayton we won't have to wait HOURS to find out the scores!!!!

Also - special thanks to Carman Dragone for keeping us informed of the situation and for trying to keep the kids' best interest in mind!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? when did this happen? That's really inconvenient for groups who want to get in additional practice time for finals or keeping to a schedule in general.

At the Trumbull Regional, we were told that there is a new rule stating that they must wait until an entire class has performed before prelims scores will be posted.

Our kids were practicing not knowing whether or not they made finals - thankfully they did and after rehearsal we had to turn right around and go back to the high school for finals.

Please tell me that this doesn't mean that in Dayton we won't have to wait HOURS to find out the scores!!!!

Also - special thanks to Carman Dragone for keeping us informed of the situation and for trying to keep the kids' best interest in mind!

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

I am not aware of this rule! For smaller regionals like the Austin regional, this may not be a major issue, or it may create even larger issues.

Anyone else have feedback regarding this?

Ohhh yes, I arrived after Prelims while swarms of people gathered FESTERING over this issue. They were FURIOUS that their kids had to be sent to rehearsals missing staff people because they were left behind to WAIT for results until the classes after them had finished.

Ohhh yes, I arrived after Prelims while swarms of people gathered FESTERING over this issue. They were FURIOUS that their kids had to be sent to rehearsals missing staff people because they were left behind to WAIT for results until the classes after them had finished.

what regional? Trumbull? I'm just asking to see if this was the case at other regionals as well, or if it was isolated.

*sorry, I put my question in the quote, which made it hard to see.

Edited by ATXguard

My understanding from this weekend at Trumbull that this is a new policy that will be at all regionals so the judges may verify scores before they are posted. That way no score goes up that is wrong and guards given false information.

Has this really been a big issue in the past? Seems like the potential for a lot of wasted time (and money spent on rehearsal time) for something relatively minor and seems to work fine nearly all the time.

My understanding from this weekend at Trumbull that this is a new policy that will be at all regionals so the judges may verify scores before they are posted. That way no score goes up that is wrong and guards given false information.

Seems like a really bad decision on WGI's part. If this activity is 'supposed' be about the kids and those who perform, then this type of policy does not make sense. Perhaps WGI should have a little more faith in their judges and tabulators? This wouldn't have anything to do with the mass exodus of judges over the last few years augmented by the fact that this years judges are relatively 'green' to the WGI world. . would it? If so. . .again, bad move on WGI's part. .I mean how hard is it to accurately adjudicate, tabulate and post a score? It's not rocket science. :doh:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Seems like a really bad decision on WGI's part. If this activity is 'supposed' be about the kids and those who perform, then this type of policy does not make sense. Perhaps WGI should have a little more faith in their judges and tabulators? This wouldn't have anything to do with the mass exodus of judges over the last few years augmented by the fact that this years judges are relatively 'green' to the WGI world. . would it? If so. . .again, bad move on WGI's part. .I mean how hard is it to accurately adjudicate, tabulate and post a score? It's not rocket science. :doh:

Show coordinator and tabulators are supposed to check math on the judges' score sheets prior to documenting them. If the Total Score doesn't match up to the sum of the boxes, the sheet is sent back to the judge to re-do the sheet.

Judges are also trained to write down their scores on a tote sheet prior to writing them on the score sheet, so that's another check. Although I have seen judges when signing off on the score sheet say "these numbers aren't right", and they have to be retabulated (checked against the tabulator's score, the actual sheets and what was entered into the computer system).

So, pros and cons both ways, I guess.

Show coordinator and tabulators are supposed to check math on the judges' score sheets prior to documenting them. If the Total Score doesn't match up to the sum of the boxes, the sheet is sent back to the judge to re-do the sheet.

Judges are also trained to write down their scores on a tote sheet prior to writing them on the score sheet, so that's another check. Although I have seen judges when signing off on the score sheet say "these numbers aren't right", and they have to be retabulated (checked against the tabulator's score, the actual sheets and what was entered into the computer system).

So, pros and cons both ways, I guess.

If that's the case, it's an internal issue...most likely with the training of adjudicators. . .why should a unit be penalized waiting around for scores and sacrificing practice time, free time, traveling time etc.. .when this is a judging issue? It doesn't make sense. Just wait until WGI gets to address the huge drop in enrollment b/c of school budget cuts. . .it's getting ugly out there, and this policy is doing them no favors, at least from my perspective