Do You "Spin" or "Twirl"

jojo

I went back and reread all of the pages and now wander Majorettes hate us because yall are acting like they don't work hard to do what they do. I personally respect anyone who has the corage to do anything. Expectually where their uniforms in public, because I'm not sure if I could do it. But the Majorettes I know have been doing what they do for their whole lives and they are some of the best in the state. I think that They work very hard to do what the do even if it is called twirling because I've seen some things that They've done and I thought it was cool and I couldn't do it. Like tossing her baton and doing a cartwheel under it then catching it and doing a leg extension. Plus just to keep their program running they are willing to learn to spin Flag and Spabre for field season. I think that they are very hard working so I'm not sure if I like some of the stuff that I've heard yall say. I don't think that it's far that yall give your selves all the credit in the world but I'm not sure if you'd learn to twirl just to keep the guard program running and wear their uniforms.

Plus the girls on my guard that are the best have never twirled in our lives. and We like Majorettes because they are nice. Yall say that they complain but yall complain when someone says twirl and they don't even know what they are talking about so just say we spin and get on with your lives.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Well my preferance is Spin, you spin a rifle, spin a flag, spin a saber, twirling is definately baton... and you can also do "tricks" with the flag, I've learned many tricks from a former cavalier color guard member, they do lots of tricks, but everyone spins a flag. :) and saber and rifle.

Just wanted to let you know that I cringe when I hear someone say that they are "Flag Twirlers" UGH!  ^0^

Sounds so "hokey" to me!

I teach my guards to SPIN their equipement. If they want to "Twirl" they can go join a school that has Majorettes.

Also another word that bothers me is "trick".......I know, I know there were "Trick Flags" back in the early 70s but to me when I hear someone say, "Trick" I expect to see a Rabbit being pulled out of a hat!  :P

• 9 months later...
I spun those Spanish Sabres in SCV. Much different than the covered white short sabres. All metal, hurts like #### if not handled properly. Now that I've used those, I'll never go back.

I spin...not twirl.

My 2 cents on some of the vocab that aren't used properly...'practice' and 'rehearse'

I hear people using the word 'rehearse' when there's nothing to rehearse. The show has not been written , etc. In that case, you just practice. Just something that bugs me...

:rock:

I Spin. Yep, definately spin...twirl sounds like something little girls do in their froo-froo sunday dresses.

Kanika,

Your signature says you marched SCV Guard in 93...I don't remember you!!! That's not saying much, as I have Mommie brain, but can you jog my memory, please?

Thanks,

Paula

SCV Colorguard 1992 & 1993

Oh goodness - thank god most of the people on here said "spin". When I hear twirl, I get this almost defensive feeling and have to correct people right away :rock:

As far as the spanish/chrome blades and gloves - I think it's up to personal preference. As someone who has spun them, and taught groups that spun them, ideally during technique and training, you want your hands to get acclamated to the blade. Calloused, I guess - the more your hands are "exposed" to the blade bare at first, they become used to it. Might sound crazy, but I promise! :)

My first winter spinning them, I only wore one glove - on my right hand. I couldn't get a good enough grip on the hilt with a gloved hand. This was also the season I filled a spot, and only marched for 5 weeks - so needless to say I wasn't spinning them for months like everyone else. It was just a matter of "here, here's a 40 inch King sabre - go learn the work, we have a show tomorrow" :lol:

In the summer - I wore gloves, because the entire guard wore gloves. Spinning every day, I think I could have managed without them, but there were times during Everydays that my hands were quite tender after 8 hours of technique block. Spinning with gloves on in the rain though - is NOT an option. The leather becomes too slippery, and it's much easier to grip without them when your hands are wet - both rifle, and sabre.

Just my $0.02!!! :D

It's probably been said already - but I'm not motivated enough to go back anf read the whole thread, so:

Twirl a baton -

Spin a rifle!

• 4 weeks later...

there is a difference between them both..because u cant twirl a flag....that would be so impossible to do and if anyone can do it i would want to see it..i know it cant be done..haha...but i rather there be a difference than them being the same thing....dur..anyways to tell u all that u or anyone in the world can not twirl a flag............ ^0^ if anyone thinks that they can twirl a flag could show someone and they approve that its twirling and not spinning then u out beat me on that one but im tellin u it cant be done....ok im out dont try to twirl ur flags now.... ^0^