Do You "Spin" or "Twirl"

jojo

This came up at rehearsal last weekend ... some rifle folks "twirl" and others "spin". I won't tell you my preference becuz I want to see what the general consensus is ... but I want to know if you "spin" your equipment or "twirl" it. Is there a difference in your opinion? If there is, then what is it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The words are synonymous so it really shouldn't matter. I don't care personally. I have noticed that "flags are spun" and "batons are twirled." This suggests that the mindset is that guard spins the equipment and batonists twirl. Maybe "spinning" is two-handed maneuvers and "twirling" is one-handed maneuvers.

Twirl

Dictionary.com

Spin

Dictionary.com

Definitely spin. You spin sabre, flag and rifle. You twirl a baton.

Just wanted to let you know that I cringe when I hear someone say that they are "Flag Twirlers" UGH! ^0^

Sounds so "hokey" to me!

I teach my guards to SPIN their equipement. If they want to "Twirl" they can go join a school that has Majorettes.

Also another word that bothers me is "trick".......I know, I know there were "Trick Flags" back in the early 70s but to me when I hear someone say, "Trick" I expect to see a Rabbit being pulled out of a hat! :P

Edited by Malibu

Here's another one I hate. A flag is a flag NOT a banner. A banner is something carried at the front of a parade. Anyone with me on this one?

Here's another one I hate. A flag is a flag NOT a banner. A banner is something carried at the front of a parade. Anyone with me on this one?

I'm right there with ya Tracey. :P

Spin a flag, rifle, sabre

Twirl a baton

I started out twirling a baton...maybe that's why I'm so good at spinning... B) Ya think?!

I don't like it that flags are called silks...that's so 60s and 70s. They're flags.

I like calling rifles and sabres "weapons"...sounds powerful! b**bs