Do You "Spin" or "Twirl"

jojo

I would say if not handled properly, it could cause some damage to your body parts......gloves are a must when catching those babies.....so I've been told.

The blades look flimsier and much narrower than what you see most guards using.

Anyone out there familar with these, please chime in.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya learn something new every day!

If you don't, you must be dead!

I spun those Spanish Sabres in SCV. Much different than the covered white short sabres. All metal, hurts like #### if not handled properly. Now that I've used those, I'll never go back.

I spin...not twirl.

My 2 cents on some of the vocab that aren't used properly...'practice' and 'rehearse'

I hear people using the word 'rehearse' when there's nothing to rehearse. The show has not been written , etc. In that case, you just practice. Just something that bugs me...

:huh:

I spun those Spanish Sabres in SCV. Much different than the covered white short sabres. All metal, hurts like #### if not handled properly. Now that I've used those, I'll never go back.

I spin...not twirl.

My 2 cents on some of the vocab that aren't used properly...'practice' and 'rehearse'

I hear people using the word 'rehearse' when there's nothing to rehearse. The show has not been written , etc. In that case, you just practice. Just something that bugs me...

:huh:

Hmmm.....that is interesting and something that I will keep in mind.

It kind of goes along the same lines I've been saying on my judge's tapes this year in winter guard......"some guards look well rehearsed rather than well trained."

I don't know, but I'm guessing they are "Spanish" sabers becuase of the ornate scroll work etched into them...but I could be wrong. Regardless, I would spin it, not twirl it!

As for "silks".....I didn't know this was a 60s/70s term....I still call them silks when referring to them being sewed/constructed......it would never be a banner.......silk or flag, yes, banner, no.

RIfles/riffles/guns are perfectly acceptable by colorguard members who know what they are talking about....Guns is NOT acceptable from the common clueless layperson!

on the subject, to you "toss" or "Throw" your equipment?????

or in the case of rifles, huck and chuck?

RIfles/riffles/guns are perfectly acceptable by colorguard members who know what they are talking about....Guns is NOT acceptable from the common clueless layperson!

on the subject, to you "toss" or "Throw" your equipment?????

or in the case of rifles, huck and chuck?

I use both 'toss' and 'throw'. Funny how I never pay attention to these terms until now.

Personally, I use 'chuck' for rifles, and 'toss' for sabre. I don't know why. Maybe the word chuck is more masculine and that's what a rifle symbolizes to me. It's a manly piece of equipment.

It's funny, but I don't have the same negative reaction to the term, "twirl," that many folks here seem to. (And I've actually marched in a band that had twirlers.) The way I look at it, color guard has borrowed a lot from baton twirling. Certainly, some of the finest guards--Blue Devils and Miller's Blackhawks are two that come to mind--have drawn on their baton twirling background to enhance their equipment work. Some really wonderful innovations in flag and weapon technique came directly from twirling.