exactly as I suspected... then there was a new drum for 1972 because Cru definitely had one. I can only assume that after the 1973 year with NO championship (Hawaii) that it was returned to the Legion.

yes we did and i did get to hold it for a few minutes. at least now we have the answer to the gold drum question. thanks john. i wish i could see that tropy case. must be awsome.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes we did and i did get to hold it for a few minutes. at least now we have the answer to the gold drum question. thanks john. i wish i could see that tropy case. must be awsome.

Don... how have you missed drum corps mecca all these years? Post 199 Hawthorne

Standing in front of that trophy case (Wall) is a very humbling experience for anyone who has devoted their life to this activity...

Standing in front of that trophy case (Wall) is a very humbling experience for anyone who has devoted their life to this activity...

i just never got there. i really don't know.

I've been dying to get Ron to that post to see all that glory.... maybe someday...

He "has" to see it to believe it !! There are no words to describe what folks feel when they actually see it.

To stand there in all it's shining glory and read all the individual accomplishments... WOW!

But, everyone in Drum Corps should definitely see and experience it.!!!

To stand there in all it's shining glory and read all the individual accomplishments... WOW!

But, everyone in Drum Corps should definitely see and experience it.!!!

OK... enough about Jim Cossetti's resume'. Now tell us about the Hawthorne post's trophy room.

Fran

it is indeed

• 5 weeks later...

I'm quite late to this thread, but the gold drum was one of the symbols [along with a muddy orange flag in 1965] of the Senior National American Legion Championship. As I remember there was a silver drum awarded to the Junior Champ.

Crusaders won high drums in Portalnd 19.6 to Cabs 19.2 in execution and 18.0 to Cabs 17.9 in GE drums. There are some old pictures of the corps returning to Rochester after the trip to Portland that clearly show a trophy [not a drum] with, what looks like a snare drummer at the top-I'm pretty sure that this is the high drum trophy. In the picture I have--the trophy is in Ashton's hands [how Colin ever let it out of his sight, I'll never know] In another photo it looks like Ray Mura has the drum trophy for some reason, and Gov carried it in the parade. BTW that was a pretty darn good drum line: Colin Campbell, Tommy Falzone RIP, Dutch Heinkel and Dick O'Connor on snare [steve Gadd played on and off that year but didn't make the Portand trip--yes, that Steve Gadd!] George Walton, Frank Michaels RIP and Jim Geninus on tenor, Jim Hilton RIP, Wally Filkins RIP, Ron Schumacher and George Nichols on bass, Mike Cappizzi RIP and Tom Keating on cymbals. Tom Johnson RIP, Gerry Fergueson and Dave Jackson-rudimental bass and tymbali. Saw George, Dave and Gerry at Tom's memorial service this last summer-I'll bet those 1965 uniforms would still fit each of them-I'm certain mine wouldn't fit me!

I'm quite late to this thread, but the gold drum was one of the symbols [along with a muddy orange flag in 1965] of the Senior National American Legion Championship. As I remember there was a silver drum awarded to the Junior Champ.

Crusaders won high drums in Portalnd 19.6 to Cabs 19.2 in execution and 18.0 to Cabs 17.9 in GE drums. There are some old pictures of the corps returning to Rochester after the trip to Portland that clearly show a trophy [not a drum] with, what looks like a snare drummer at the top-I'm pretty sure that this is the high drum trophy. In the picture I have--the trophy is in Ashton's hands [how Colin ever let it out of his sight, I'll never know] In another photo it looks like Ray Mura has the drum trophy for some reason, and Gov carried it in the parade. BTW that was a pretty darn good drum line: Colin Campbell, Tommy Falzone RIP, Dutch Heinkel and Dick O'Connor on snare [steve Gadd played on and off that year but didn't make the Portand trip--yes, that Steve Gadd!] George Walton, Frank Michaels RIP and Jim Geninus on tenor, Jim Hilton RIP, Wally Filkins RIP, Ron Schumacher and George Nichols on bass, Mike Cappizzi RIP and Tom Keating on cymbals. Tom Johnson RIP, Gerry Fergueson and Dave Jackson-rudimental bass and tymbali. Saw George, Dave and Gerry at Tom's memorial service this last summer-I'll bet those 1965 uniforms would still fit each of them-I'm certain mine wouldn't fit me!

thanks gary.............mystery solved along with some great history and the names of that great drumline. :thumbdown:

A lot of great corps people there Gary... Fond memories for sure... 1965 was special to all of us...