WGI Scores...agree or disagree?

All kidding aside we have embarked on another great year of WGI. Given some conflicts in placement errors and guards in regionals not making the cut, what does everyone feel about this years scores. I have gave my opinion already and as it stands, the truth will come out in the end of this I am sure. Apparently, as everyone can tell either the guards down south are better or the guards up north aren't getting proper credit. Any insight would be great?

Scores from different parts of the country cannot be truly judged against each other. The only true judgement is when guards see each other in head to head competition.

Ranking websites are interesting but not truly accurate. Not all guards improve at a rate of 2 points per week.

Colorguard judging is subjective. When you take away the subjectivity of judging things get boring. Look at figure skating. The new highly non subjective scoring system has taken away much of the creativity, magic and spark of the sport. It has also encouraged participants to play it safe instead of taking risks.

Scores from different parts of the country cannot be truly judged against each other. The only true judgement is when guards see each other in head to head competition.

Ranking websites are interesting but not truly accurate. Not all guards improve at a rate of 2 points per week.

Colorguard judging is subjective. When you take away the subjectivity of judging things get boring. Look at figure skating. The new highly non subjective scoring system has taken away much of the creativity, magic and spark of the sport. It has also encouraged participants to play it safe instead of taking risks.

Sort of A Class WGI then?

Last years finalists seemed to play it safe as well. Follow the sheets...don't take any risks...and follow the theme. Most of these guards are promoted to new classes IO, SO. And they are struggling my friend! So you think there is no conflict in scores!!! Anyone else?

Most of these guards are promoted to new classes IO, SO. And they are struggling my friend! So you think there is no conflict in scores!!! Anyone else?

They are not all struggling.

The A class sheets are weighted 70/30 towards technique and training....however the judging of that technique and training is still subjective. Once promoted to Open class the sheets are no longer weighted in the same manner. Based on the statistics from 2009 it appears that the transition from IA to IO is the easiest. 5 out of the 6 promoted guards made finals at WGI.

The A class sheets are weighted 70/30 towards technique and training....however the judging of that technique and training is still subjective. Once promoted to Open class the sheets are no longer weighted in the same manner. Based on the statistics from 2009 it appears that the transition from IA to IO is the easiest. 5 out of the 6 promoted guards made finals at WGI.

this is true!

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great topic to discuss!

Here's my opinion (for what it's worth). I can certain relate to where Guard Politician is coming from. Things seem to not "make sense" this year when talking about scores and evaluating other guards. But, as I step back, I begin to realize what MAY BE the "problem".

For the past couple of years most guards in A and Open have been promoted to the next class once they've entered finals. I think it has been a great thing for so many of us! Some of us that had never made finals felt as if we had been finally recognized, yet the following year seem to struggle as we tried something harder. But, there's nothing wrong with that (as I have learned now). Struggling isn't a sign of weakness but a sign of growth, you put that together on a wider scale and look how much guards have grown in the last couple of years ago at WGI Look at IW... Old guards have faded, returned and then faded again and new names have appeared faced with similar circumstances.

My point being, I think that a new era of colorguard has started to evolve. The younger designers and techs are now stepping forward after having marched and are beginning to understand how hard it is to put a show out on the floor, and to receive the recognition that they feel they deserve.

Again, it has been an extremely rewarding time for so many of us who made SA, and then promoted to Open. As well as a headache now, as we learn how become better writers as well teachers by teaching our kids to be more humble.

There is a new standard in Scholastic "A" that has emerged; along with "Open" (I believe). So new that what some people might see as a lack of talent or creativity is just something we have never seen before in these classes.............GROWTH!!

I can only imagine what some were saying about us as we first ventured in to Scholastic A finals. The same for Open class finals. It appears that so many of us are struggling this year when compared to years past. At first, I would have traded it all in for a spot in (possibly) Scholastic A Finals this year; just so I didn't have to see "my kids" experience... I'm sure some of you can relate... what they identify as "defeat" and "embarrassment"?

Let's not forget to be great teachers and teach our kids that struggling is ok. It builds character, it builds knowledge....more importantly it builds COURAGE.

(That's it..my opinion...for what its worth).

More or I less I typically agree with most of the judges scores. . .but there is some craziness going on in the IA class in Indy today. Not sure what to make of it. . .you can gather your own opinions, I guess:

Dayton Regional 2/28

Independent A

1 Artistry IN BLUE (Canton, Ohio) 83.10

2 Interplay (Grand Rapids, Michigan) 79.30

3 Fairborn (Fairborn, Ohio) 78.80

4 Consortio (Cincinnati, Ohio) 77.80

5 Collage (Akron, Ohio) 76.50

6 Art 101 (Columbus, ) 75.10

(2 weeks later)

Indy Regional 3/13

1 Eclipse Independent (Saint Cloud, Minnesota) 85.90

2 Interplay (Grand Rapids, Michigan) 85.00

3 Consortio (Cincinnati, Ohio) 83.70

4 Southwind (Lexington, Kentucky) 79.40

5 Art 101 (Columbus, ) 77.90

6 Cadets of South Shore (Chicago, Illinois) 76.70

7 Fairborn (Fairborn, Ohio) 76.40

8 Velocity WG (Green Bay, Wisconsin) 76.30

I find it hard to believe that Fairborn fell 2.5 points 2 weeks later!! and furthermore. . .there was a .5 gap between them and Interplay and now there is an almost 9 point gap? Seriously???!. . .that's a clear cut case of bad numbers management!! Especially given that Fairborn was nearly the first guard to perform in prelims at Indy this morning. Whoopsie. ..right, WGI judges? :thumbup:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay