RIP George Bonfiglio

It is with a saddened heart that the time has come to honor the memory of George Bonfiglio. He was a friend to the Santa Clara Vanguard and will be deeply missed by all...especially the alumni of the 27th Lancers.

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George B. was a true ambassador for the activity. He was also a genuinely wonderful human. Every time I met him at the World Championships, he was gracious and giving of his time. I never wanted to miss a chance to chat with him to learn about our roots, and he was always willing and eager to oblige.

According to The Cavaliers' founder Don Warren, George bit the bullet during the formation of the United Organization of Junior Corps in 1971, the year before DCI was founded. To make the organization a success, George refused to take 27th Lancers to any shows that weren't willing to follow the UOJC guidelines and also accept all the other UOJC corps in their contests; Garfield Cadets, Boston Crusaders, Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and Blue Rock. The UOJC often gets lost in the discussion of what it took to create DCI, being overshadowed by memories of the Midwest Combine. Don said George made substantial sacrifices for what he believed in.

We've lost one of our most special pioneers.

Edited by Michael Boo

As per Denise Bonfiglio, he passed away this evening peacefully at 6:27 pm EST.

6:27? Only George B. (Credit to Stephanie Louden, whom I'm talking to at the moment. That's what she said when I told her Key put up the time.)

Edited by Michael Boo

I was trying to wait for an official press release to post on the website, from the family. But yes RIP George B.....

It is with a saddened heart that the time has come to honor the memory of George Bonfiglio. He was a friend to the Santa Clara Vanguard and will be deeply missed by all...especially the alumni of the 27th Lancers.

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling...

Ouch. So sorry to hear this.

My prayers go out to him, his family, and all the literally thousands of young lives he impacted by his work as both a school teacher, and corps director.

RIP George Bonfiglio.

Edited by BRASSO

:thumbup: thanks mr b.