WGI ORLANDO REGIONAL

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor’s note: I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I know what will happen if I don’t: some of you people will get your panties so impossibly bunched-up that assistance from a medical professional might be needed to successfully “unbunch” them.

So, here goes:

The following review represents MY personal opinions and observations ONLY. I am neither currently nor have I ever been affiliated directly in any capacity whatsoever with any guard - active or defunct - competing in any class of any circuit.

I’m relating MY ideas and views ONLY. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok…??? Can we please remember this and not work ourselves into lather over anything that might be mentioned in this or any other review posted in this forum…???

Thank you.

- The management

Northeast Independent

Wow. They are performing the heck outta every moment of this show. Their score of 92.4 was well deserved. I’ve said previously that I’m not a huge fan of the show design, but that’s just me. Even so, the impact and accomplishment of this program is undeniable. The attention to detail is tremendous, the movement is first-rate and the execution of their uber-demanding equipment book is spot on. This is one of the strongest overall NEI shows that I remember seeing. Job well done, Northeast Independent.

Braddock Independent

This show keeps getting better and better. The “wow” moments are much more “wow” than they were when I saw this show two weeks ago. They’re nailing their big toss section toward the end of the show and it’s crazy good. It starts in the back of the performance space and winds it’s way to the front in kind of in a spiral, Then, it goes back the other direction. Very effective. As an ensemble, these performers really are relating to each other incredibly well as they tell the story of the final hours in the life of Jesus Christ. I’m still impressed by some of the more subtle aspects of the choreography and staging: movement imagery that suggests Jesus carrying the cross; pain and sorrow being expressed in ways that don’t look cliched, etc. All of these potentially awkward images have been realized and staged tastefully, thoughtfully and effectively.

However, the new flag that Braddock has introduced for the closing flag feature might catch some audience members off guard, so to speak: it’s a solid red flag with a white silk-screen image of the face of Jesus. (Click the link below to see the approximate version of the flag design)

Now, the face isn’t the traditional Jesus face that we generally see in Western Biblical imagery. It’s either an original piece of artwork or it might have been some version of actor Jim Caviezel when he played Jesus in ‘The Passion of the Christ.’ No matter the source, the image on the flag is a relatively realistic representation of the battered Jesus Christ wearing a crown of thorns, either while dying on the cross or somewhere during the procession to the cross.

For the record, I think this flag is one of the best I’ve seen in competition this season.

And the closing ensemble section of work that Braddock does with that Jesus flag really is some terrific work. It’s very well written and very well staged and executed. A great ending for a great show.

(Note: For anyone who might be interested, I’ve created a post about Braddock’s Jesus flag in the main color guard forum)

http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx40/Mr...FLAG_SAMPLE.jpg

Crown guard

A gentle, sentimental ode to romance and love, “Last Dance” gives to crown a perfect opportunity to spotlight their top-notch movement and demanding weapon book. It’s an elegant, sophisticated show with a very soothing, melodic pace. The dance training of the ensemble is evident in the staging that often pairs the performers for beautiful, ballroom-inspired dance moves. In fact, a lot of the staging reminded me of classic on-screen moments between Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers - very “old school romance” in it’s feeling and design.

Premonition

This crowd-pleasing unit twitched and tapped and counted and double and triple-checked their way through another “Obsessed” performance. Lots of fast-paced equipment work in this shows keeps it exciting from beginning to end. And the visual representations of obsessions are handled quite well. I even like the doors that they’ve integrated into the show. Sure we’ve seen doors as set pieces many times before, but they really make sense in this show. (And when I got home, I checked MY front door about 52 times to make sure that it was locked…!!!) Their wild flag feature that ends the show is definitely one of the best out there. It’s frenzied, manic, jittery, jumpy and absolutely perfect for the ending of this show.

Also, they’ve changed the their floor from an all-white tarp to all-black tarp and it’s made a big difference in their overall visual package. To me, everything seems to be held together significantly better on the black floor. The visuals of the show just feel better now. Whodda thunk such a simple change could make such a dramatic effect…???

Fahrenheit

This program still is just a little too weepy and sad for my taste. But, apparently, I’m in the minority with that opinion. So be it.

However, the audience really responded favorably to the warm, sentimental relationship story behind “P.S.: I love you.” The equipment book was executed well and the attention to the body and movement was quite a pleasure to watch throughout. The staging was one of the most effective I’ve seen for a show that takes this route. Lots of effective, bold moments for a show that you’d expect to be 100% soft and passive all the way through. Nice visual touches throughout, as well. And the gradual costume changes that are made really do advance the storyline that’s being told with this show.

Edited by Mr. Know it all

Ok here are my thoughts.

I really felt Braddock should have won world class.

I know everybody loves NEI and I have to some years. Thier equipment book is one of the best if not the best. It is however not all about the equipment book and Braddock's show has it all. While I'm sure their are some who found the concept a problem, anything relating to religion is always a touchey subject. I really think the show has outstanding GE moments, thier equipment book is also very difficult that rifle feature was amazing, movement I thought was better than NEI as well ensemble they really put the whole package on the floor and thats really what I want to see in a show. The red flag is not a problem not that in your face.

I just don't beleve NEI is a top 5 guard this year I don't want to see the same basic show year after year and thats what I get from them. The first 2 times they did a show like this I loved it now show me something new. Last year they went back to what they were doing 3 years before. Still want to see something cutting edge.

Braddock has clearly steped out of their box on this one and I hope they keep doing this. This is my all time favorite Braddock show.

The rest of the placement was accurate IMO however I don't think the spread should have been so much between 1st and last.

I'm a big Fahrenheit fan and hpoed this show would score better. One of the reasons I'm such a fan is each year I see a show thats different.

Edited by guard is my drug of choice

Ok here are my thoughts.

I know everybody loves NEI and I have to some years. Thier equipment book is one of the best if not the best. It is however not all about the equipment book and Braddock's show has it all. While I'm sure their are some who found the concept a problem, anything relating to religion is always a touchey subject. I really think the show has outstanding GE moments, thier equipment book is also very difficult that rifle feature was amazing, movement I thought was better than NEI as well ensemble they really put the whole package on the floor and thats really what I want to see in a show. The red flag is not a problem not that in your face.

I just don't beleve NEI is a top 5 guard this year I don't want to see the same basic show year after year and thats what I get from them. The first 2 times they did a show like this I loved it now show me something new. Last year they went back to what they were doing 3 years before. Still want to see something cutting edge.

Braddock has clearly steped out of their box on this one and I hope they keep doing this. This is my all time favorite Braddock show.

The rest of the placement was accurate IMO however I don't think the spread should have been so much between 1st and last.

I'm a big Fahrenheit fan and hpoed this show would score better. One of the reasons I'm such a fan is each year I see a show thats different.

IMO ...I totally agre on all accounts. I couldn't have said it better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO ...I totally agre on all accounts. I couldn't have said it better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say that the IW class was filled with well crafted shows from all of the competitors. I guess we all have our own personal bias when it comes to taste in shows. Good luck to ALL the IW teams in Dayton!

I have to say that the IW class was filled with well crafted shows from all of the competitors. I guess we all have our own personal bias when it comes to taste in shows. Good luck to ALL the IW teams in Dayton!

I think....well for me anyway wasn't a BIAS just an observation and an opinion. as as you say good luck to all teams.

Ok here are my thoughts.

I can see where you're coming on all accounts especially that Braddock has outstanding GE moments. The never ending rifle ripple! So good! I also think they PERFORMED the most of the evening.

But how was Northeast 09 anything like 3 years ago? 2006 was the show with the black floor with boxes on it. I can't see the correlation at all... ??

For the record: "I can see where you're coming" from does necessarily mean I agree. I see Northeast as a top 5 guard, and I would've had Crown over Braddock also.

Edited by colorguardboy86