I agree in regards to recruiting members, but I was talking more about fan base. Most alumni corps are nothing more than a passing curiosity at best to folks under 50, even under the best of circumstances, unless they have a personal tie to a given corps.

Alumni corps need to figure out how to revere this, or it will be the first major component of the current corps movement to die.

get more younger members involved.

while we have older folks, especially within the drumline, we range from mid 40's to early 20.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree in regards to recruiting members, but I was talking more about fan base. Most alumni corps are nothing more than a passing curiosity at best to folks under 50, even under the best of circumstances, unless they have a personal tie to a given corps.

Alumni corps need to figure out how to revere this, or it will be the first major component of the current corps movement to die.

I doubt it, John...

We're having WAY too much fun!!! And our average has gone from about 48 yrs. old in 2006, to about 38-39 yrs. old at present.

And Cabs Alumni have an unending supply of new recruits, so they should be around for at least another 50 yrs.!!!

Both corps boast 60-70 man horn lines, 25-35 man drum lines, and 20-30 people in the guard!

Not sure about the others, but you guys will be stuck with us for a long time!!! LOL

Edited by overthehillDM

I agree.

No offense meant to any of the other corps that will participate in the final Serenade.... but it would be wonderful symmetry to have the Westshoremen Alumni close the deal.

Fran

There is no reason to have and be talking of a final Serenade JUST YET - it's way too drastic !!

Just move the venue to a less expensive, (regional) high school.

I know it's not the same as the FORUM but neither was the Dream when Roosevelt stadium went down.

But we moved the show - to the Meadowlands, to Rutgers, and it lived (for at least a little while longer).

SIB can survive if you try - It doesn't need to be/sound so FINAL !

It is worthy of a shot !!

Just IMO !!

Darth

There is no reason to have and be talking of a final Serenade JUST YET - it's way too drastic !!

I know it's not the same as the FORUM but neither was the Dream when Roosevelt stadium went down.

But we moved the show - to the Meadowlands, to Rutgers, and it lived (for at least a little while longer).

Just IMO !!

Darth

Good point, Charlie! :thumbup:

Good point, Charlie! :thumbup:

Hey Jimbo, I'm just trying to salvage another really good road trip :lol:

They were abusing me on the bus all the way back - I loved it but I got even.

I took the bus right to my house, then proceeded to give it directions to Morristown :worthy:

They couldn't find Rt 78 in the dark if they tried !! :worthy:

Edited by cvayda

Just IMO !!

Darth

nothing really in the area is suitable, and Serenade has the perfect set up because you can walk from the hotels to the show and the party.

and...well...as Hershey proved, when you move from a well known venue, the people don't follow

I doubt it, John...

We're having WAY too much fun!!! And our average has gone from about 48 yrs. old in 2006, to about 33-34 yrs. old at present.

And Cabs Alumni have an unending supply of new recruits, so they should be around for at least another 50 yrs.!!!

Both corps boast 60-70 man horn lines, 25-35 man drum lines, and 20-30 people in the guard!

Not sure about the others, but you guys will be stuck with us for a long time!!! LOL

Again, I'm not talking about the corps membership, I'm talking about audiences. It won't matter how many members you have if there's no one to play for.

Again, I'm not talking about the corps membership, I'm talking about audiences. It won't matter how many members you have if there's no one to play for.

Correct, John. Did an alumni show at Haverford HS a few years back where there were more of us on stage than there were in the audience. It was painful.

Younger alumni corps members "should" attract a younger audience. Don't the two go hand in hand? This is true for DCI Shows, and there is a much younger average age within the ranks of DCA than say, 20-25 years ago.