A Drum Corps Blind Spot

Bad example. He has a beard because he IS a caveman, but he's clean and well dressed. If you compare his facial hair, hygiene, and dress standards to many corps staff, he'd definitely come out ahead.

Not so fast. I'd contend that the DCI fashion police fans would look at him along the sidelines at DCI shows and would NOT make that distiction at all. I'd submit they'd be likely to make their initial impressions count from a distance and he'd be seen as a wild eyed, bad skinned, bearded, waaay too hairy misfit. Not the decent and smart one that he is, despite his awful beard and long hair in these Geico Ads.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so fast. I'd contend that the DCI fashion police fans would look at him along the sidelines at DCI shows and would NOT make that distiction at all. I'd submit they'd be likely to make their initial impressions count from a distance and he'd be seen as a wild eyed, bad skinned, bearded, waaay too hairy misfit. Not the decent, smart individual that he is under his Cave Man awful beard and long hair in these Geico Ads.

It would probably be hard for some people to get past the hair. :thumbup:

It would probably be hard for some people to get past the hair. :thumbup:

True... believe it.

Bad example. He has a beard because he IS a caveman, but he's clean and well dressed. If you compare his facial hair, hygiene, and dress standards to many corps staff, he'd definitely come out ahead.

for the win :thumbup:

for the win :thumbup:

.... but the shot rolled of the rim. ( Corps- mudgeon had it right as well, Cave Man would get criticised and hammered by the self apponted DCI fan fashion police for the hair alone .)

Edited by BRASSO

We really need to be careful here folks......next thing you know there will be a stoneage corps on the field.....

They will play on mastadon and wooly mammoth horns, pound on logs with big clubs, run around waving animal hides, and "re-discover" the origins of fire as their show concept. :thumbup:

...and yes, they will all look EXACTLY like the Geico cavemen.

"Ladies and gentlemen...on the starting line.....Zinjanthropus!!!!! :tongue:

So having said all that: who's staff is out there looking like total slobs? In my years marching and teaching, the staffs always looked like...well, like your average person hanging around in the summertime. T-shirts, shorts, hats, sunglasses, all the usual sort of stuff you'd expect to see on someone at such an event; I don't remember anyone ever looking like a mess. Is there someone in particular we have in mind here or is this just #####ing for the sake of #####ing?

Yup.

Man, the season can't start quickly enough. I don't come here for a while, and now I see that somebody started a thread to complain about the corps staff wearing summer attire...

Next thing you know, they'll be whining about how the kids are dressed at rehearsal.

OK - after 30 minutes I still fail to see the point of this thread.

We really need to be careful here folks......next thing you know there will be a stoneage corps on the field.....

They will play on mastadon and wooly mammoth horns, pound on logs with big clubs, run around waving animal hides, and "re-discover" the origins of fire as their show concept. :plain:

...and yes, they will all look EXACTLY like the Geico cavemen.

"Ladies and gentlemen...on the starting line.....Zinjanthropus!!!!! :plain:

i've already seen a show with the vikings from the Cap One commercials..."what's in your drum case"