Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV

I understand the question is other drum corps, but I have a hard time believing anyone marching their first year in a top 5 WC corps has no prior experience, at least with one hell of a band program.

2005 Cadets had a 15 or 16 year old lead trumpet player who had never done marching band at all.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the question is other drum corps, but I have a hard time believing anyone marching their first year in a top 5 WC corps has no prior experience, at least with one hell of a band program.

I think in the hornline especially, when we're talking about, what, 60+ members needed to fill spots, it's not uncommon to find people who've never marched before that were good enough to make it. Heck, I know of people who were plugs in World Champion shows from the past ten years (plug meaning they rarely played a note and were merely there to fill a drill hole and nothing more).

It happens. Heck, I've heard stories from staff members from a couple of Top 6 corps from the last few years on the lengths they had to go through to fill horn spots that are on one hand funny, and on another hand maybe a little sad. Plus, if someone comes into a corps audition with zero marching experience but a TON of heart/desire/drive, staffers know that they can mold that into what they need and not have to worry about breaking bad habits or having to fight previous corps' marching/playing techniques.

I marched Blue Devils in 2007 with no prior drum corps experience and I came from a band program of 28 winds. This coming summer will be my 3rd year teaching world class drum corps. I think people forget what a strong work ethic can do for your life. :thumbup:

Edited by euphplayer07

I think a few true rookies could make a top 5 if they came from a strong band program

It’s my understanding that Cadets take a lot of rookies (more than the others mentioned in this thread) because they are looking more for a type of character, attitude and potential as opposed to a ready to go product. I greatly respect that from them, shows confidence in the members and their staff

I hear Cavies and Blue Devils are very difficult to crack w/out prior marching but do know it can be done.

Not really sure what SCV’s attitude on this is currently

I only marched Blue Devils. My high school MUSIC program (not just marching band) had about 50 kids.

I learned about drum corps when I was a senior in high school. Watched one live show when I was 17, another live show when I was 18, and auditioned when I was 19.

I was fortunate that I was already a good player, so I just practiced my butt of for the marching part and then I was good to go.

I stand corrected! I find it extremely impressive those of you who have cracked a top WC corps with no prior experience, that shows a pretty rare determination IMO.

I stand corrected! I find it extremely impressive those of you who have cracked a top WC corps with no prior experience, that shows a pretty rare determination IMO.

Or just too raw to know any better. My HS band program had about 70ish people, but we weren't all that great in an overall sense(there were some shining light...I was fortunate to be one of them). My college band was 300+, but I'd never marched corps style until I tried out for BD (all squads of 4 in HS...bigger squads or FTL in college).

I was a good player...NOT the best marcher (I consider myself one of the top 10 worst BD marchers), but like someone else said, at that level they can look for someone they can train and mold during the practice season.

Each year, since 2006, (except 2009) DCI has conducted a pre-season survey of participants in DCI corps. One question asked relates to whether the student marched in a different World or Open Class corps before making the roster of their current corps. The % varies from corps-2-corps and year-2-year.

For the last year we collected the data (2008), here are estimates of % for students who participated in a different World Class corps before making the BD,Cavaliers, Phantom, Cadets or Vanguard. (Note there are some number of students jumping from Open Class to tier World Class that may not be included in these numbers).

2008 Corps Marched in Other World Class Corps

Blue Devil 51%

SCV 35%

Cadets 41%

Cavaliers 44%

Phantom 28%

Each year, since 2006, (except 2009) DCI has conducted a pre-season survey of participants in DCI corps. One question asked relates to whether the student marched in a different World or Open Class corps before making the roster of their current corps. The % varies from corps-2-corps and year-2-year.

For the last year we collected the data (2008), here are estimates of % for students who participated in a different World Class corps before making the BD,Cavaliers, Phantom, Cadets or Vanguard. (Note there are some number of students jumping from Open Class to tier World Class that may not be included in these numbers).

2008 Corps Marched in Other World Class Corps

Blue Devil 51%

SCV 35%

Cadets 41%

Cavaliers 44%

Phantom 28%

Yeah, but that is excluding Open Class corps, which most of these kids come from that are moving up.

Yeah, but that is excluding Open Class corps, which most of these kids come from that are moving up.

I don't remember that many people having marched open class. I actually remember more people who had marched senior corps first than open class.