Loudest Baritone line ever?

RenegadeBaritone

Being part of the 1983 Phantom Regiment bari/euph line under the leadership of Dan Farrell, a great player himself, we had one of the most powerful bari/euph lines. He had some serious power players on that line. There were passages in the opener and "1812" that took advantage of that and we made the most of it. Even the liner story on the DCI albums that year recognized us, along with our contra line.

Some honorable mentions go to Spirit of Atlanta 1978, Phantom Regiment 1978, Madison Scouts 1975 (simply powerful all around), Phantom Regiment 1989, and Spirit of Atlanta 1980. More recently, SCV 2000 was good in that respect, especially the contras and, of course, PR 2000.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweetest sound =

Phantom Regiment 93.  Beggining of Fire of Eternal Glory is amazing considering they have G bugles.  Best baritone sound I've ever heard come out of a drum corps.

Thanks!

I thought all the bari lines from 1991-1994 wer epretty amazing. In fact, I think Regiment had an amazing run of baritone lines from 1987 to 1997. In that span, we had several DCI I&E Winners (as well as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers), we had several DCM I&E winners, and the lines were simply musical beyond belief. I consider myself lucky to have marched in those lines.

> Posted on Jun 27 2002, 02:25 PM

>

> Guys, Guys, Guys . . .

> You're all missing it, the loudest baritone line I've ever heard was 1985 Suncoast. And yes, I heard 1980 >Spirit live. Yeah, Spirit might have been louder overall, but I

> still gotta give the Suncoast baris the "loudest I've ever heard award" (hint: listen to the closer).

>

> Don Taylor

What he said. 85 Suncoast. End of discussion.

As far as cool licks go, the little conversation between the lead baris and the drum line in "America", Cadets '84, was Sooooooo sweet.

I remember Phantom 89-96 was always loud...just loud. Not Good, just loud. :blink:

Sorry, but I have to call bull**** on this one. Those Phantom lines were both loud *and* good. In 1989 we had a DCM and a DCI I&E Champion, and 3 of the top 5 at I&E were Regiment. In 1991 we had a DCM I&E Champion (ahem) and 2 of the top 3 at DCI were Regiment. In 1992 we had a DCI I&E Champion and two of the top 3 were Regiment. In 1993 we had a DCM (ahem) and a DCI I&E CHampion, and 2 of the top 4 were Regiment. In 1994 we did DCM I&E only and 2 of the top 4 were Regiment.

And not just the lead baris either...show me better baritone lines than the 1989, 1990, 1991, and 1993 lines. Star was close, but their baritone lines were not challenged as much as Regiment's...most of Star's horn book seemed to revolve around the mid-voices (and with good reason, those were some awesome mid-voices they had!)

Regiment not only had meaty parts, but they performed them extremely well.

Not Good, just loud. :blink:

Wha? I suppose that depends on what you define as "good." :lol:

I'll second (or third as the case may be) that 85 Suncoast nomination. I marched in 86 and the section leader stood next to me and said that if I didn't play as loud as he did, he would punch me in the arm. You can hear him over the whole corps when the baris answer the soprano fanfare at the beginning of the show.

Also, 85 Phantom. Sure, they sound like chainsaws, but they *all* sound like chainsaws so it's a pretty tight ensemble sound. And scary.

This year, y'all need to check out Phantom again. Golly they're powerful!

Did anyone notice how this discussion of baritones contains a large beer discussion? I don't think that's an accident.