funny thing is Ed, you marched in a corps that proved that theory wrong just 10 years ago

Jeff, if you're referring to 2000 and 2001. In looking at the scores that year, we started 2000 1 point behind Cabs and 2 points behind Brigs. Cabs and Brigs both ended up besting us at finals in 2000. In 2001 we started 1 point behind Cabs and 2 points behind Brigs. So I guess maybe I'm not understanding what you mean.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is, it seems that one of the catalysts for forming DCA, among other considerations as well, is that the Caballeros simply wouldn't stop winning the AL championship. Cabs won '51, '53, '54, and then a 7 year streak from '58-'64. DCA was formed in '65? And the Cabs weren't there the first year.

History seems to suggest that when a corps keeps winning every single year, people want a change. I can't imagine that there was no anti-Caballero sentiment anywhere in the founding of DCA.

Which is not to say that DCA is an anti-Caballero organization at all, although there are certainly some dubious Finals results in the 90s.

I think it's naïve so say that the Bucs are ruining DCA; however, it may be equally naïve to say that one corps going undefeated for more than half a decade doesn't cause any discontent or a feeling of malaise in the people that aren't winning.

No, no. This statement is laughable simply because it's easy to throw out there without any solutions. So what action do you suggest DCA should take to Bucs from "ruining" DCA? Disqualify the Bucs? Give the other corps handicaps? Institute a membership draft? It's ridiculous, dude.

Do I sense the possible creation of DCA "G1" ???

Just kidding...couldn't resist.

WOW! The tic system, less Corps than Back In the Day, Evil Hopkins, Blast ruined drum corps, and the end of the activity all rolled into one post! All because the Bucs won the WW show... By a lot. If only you could have tied G bugles into the conspiracy. Maybe when the Bucs beat Empire?

We are no longer living in the days (sadly) of the tic system and it is the substance which creates the scores. Under any scoring system - opinions on the results will differ.

As to the comments about Bucs killing DCA by being so dominant - taken at face value is a laughable statement, but perhaps the originator of the statement didn't mean it exactly in the way it was taken. I read it as a statement that since no other corp stands a chance to win it all - why bother. Over the past few decades we've see the number of excellent senior corps shrink. We just lost kingpins such as Cru, Brig and Sky. With perhaps only 3-4 real contenders - can DCA survive ? We've seen DCI change the landscape of the Juniors and what once was hundreds of corps, we are down to perhaps two dozen quality corps in total and now the 'brilliant' ones have a plan for the 'elite' 8 corps or so to breakoff a bit and have their own shows. Obviously the likes of Hopkins is looking to have a BLAST type show and let DCI fend for itself - it could mean the end to the activity as we know it. Who knows.

Hi Folks ! I know I haven't posted in some time, but I could not let this one slide.

Everyone is so hung up on "history" and "past performances", that they fail to address the SHOW that was Saturday night. I will not say who won the show, but I will say that a five point spread for what was presented on the field that night is as wrong as it gets. It is my opinion, that it's one of the reasons (besides the economy), that performance schedules and attendance figures drop every year. It's been many years since I marched with the competing corps, but back then, we did over 20 shows between Memorial Day and Labor Day. What do they do now? 10, 12? This first show of the year is as important as ever. There is no longer time to make "suggested" clean-ups or enhancements. Unless some changes are made soon, I won't have a show to take my grandchildren to.

Edited by DaveDrum

Enjoy it while you can Dave. It's not going to get better because it is all subjective now. Add that to the "homogenization" of musical opinion and you have an entirely predictable and boring result.

WOW! The tic system, less Corps than Back In the Day, Evil Hopkins, Blast ruined drum corps, and the end of the activity all rolled into one post! All because the Bucs won the WW show... By a lot. If only you could have tied G bugles into the conspiracy. Maybe when the Bucs beat Empire?

OK! Conspiracy theorist unit. As mentioned earlier, unless you were actually at the show, none of you have a clue as to what happened. Did the Bucs deserve a 5 point spread at the kick off show, by reports of THOSE WHO POSTED AND WERE AT THE SHOW... they say either Yes by a small margin or NO, not at all. But this result doesn't even signify that the Bucs ruined DCA. Like every other Drum Corps, they have winter camps, spring training and they hit the field. They perform their show as does everyone else. The issues, debates, arguments and what not are based on the scoring results by the adjuicators. If you choose to direct your anger, dismay, or simple disagreements towards anyone, it should be directed at them. Not the drum corps themselves

You have now heard it by the people in attendence that the outcome of this show did not reflect the actual performances of the corps. There is no way that this result based on the current findings anyone can determine that Reading is an unstoppable force or if Cabs are 5 points behind Bucs or what ever. Sounds to me that the results of this weekends performance means nothing. It didn't determine anything in terms of scores or placement. Its funny that those making the claims that Reading is ruining the activity, or are this drum corps freak of nature weren't even there to see for themselves and those who were there are being ostracied for even claiming by theirown witness that it is possible that Reading simply isn't as good as last year or that its possible that Cabs got their act together. But by all accounts Reading fell short of the posting spectators expectations and Cabs are far ahead of their previous performances, as are Bush and Fusion. I for one will be using this as a guidline for future reference rather then the numbers or spreads from this weekend.

But by all accounts Reading fell short of the posting spectators expectations and Cabs are far ahead of their previous performances, as are Bush and Fusion. I for one will be using this as a guidline for future reference rather then the numbers or spreads from this weekend.

The problem is that it's very clear that the spreads and scores from one weekend exert some influence on the scores and spreads of the next weekend; and that seems to be at the heart of what is being discussed here, because by most accounts the Bucs didn't deserve a 5-point edge over the Cabs.

OK! Conspiracy theorist unit. As mentioned earlier, unless you were actually at the show, none of you have a clue as to what happened. Did the Bucs deserve a 5 point spread at the kick off show, by reports of THOSE WHO POSTED AND WERE AT THE SHOW... they say either Yes by a small margin or NO, not at all. But this result doesn't even signify that the Bucs ruined DCA. Like every other Drum Corps, they have winter camps, spring training and they hit the field. They perform their show as does everyone else. The issues, debates, arguments and what not are based on the scoring results by the adjuicators. If you choose to direct your anger, dismay, or simple disagreements towards anyone, it should be directed at them. Not the drum corps themselves

You have now heard it by the people in attendence that the outcome of this show did not reflect the actual performances of the corps. There is no way that this result based on the current findings anyone can determine that Reading is an unstoppable force or if Cabs are 5 points behind Bucs or what ever. Sounds to me that the results of this weekends performance means nothing. It didn't determine anything in terms of scores or placement. Its funny that those making the claims that Reading is ruining the activity, or are this drum corps freak of nature weren't even there to see for themselves and those who were there are being ostracied for even claiming by theirown witness that it is possible that Reading simply isn't as good as last year or that its possible that Cabs got their act together. But by all accounts Reading fell short of the posting spectators expectations and Cabs are far ahead of their previous performances, as are Bush and Fusion. I for one will be using this as a guidline for future reference rather then the numbers or spreads from this weekend.

Very well said.

I was in The Bushwackers during their dynasty and in 1994 the general message around the circuit was "Anyone But Bush." It happens. The bar gets raised and adjustments are made. The dynasty shifts to another corps. It has happened several times. Accept it.

We didn't hear about it then because we did not have DCP, but there was a lot of venom pointed at us and I sure there are other people with similar stories. 1993 finals was a perfect example of this. Anyone remember what I am referring to?

I am not making any comments about Saturday night or any of the corps involved so feel free to flame me, but I said nothing other than make a reference to history that is similar to things happening in recent years.

Thanks.