Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

So you're basically admitting that you're dumb.

I 'd say that's a dumb interpretation to extrapolate that from what I said. But then again, maybe I'm just dumb compared to your brilliance.. who knows.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to " tonality", I 'm in the Milton Babbitt camp that thinks Bartok blows...his confusing chords are passe and old hat...

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Milton Babbitt's "Ensembles for Synthesizer." Enjoy.

Part Two: Because it's hard to stop at just a little Babbitt.

Edited by Michael Boo

geesus.. don't give a show designer any MORE ideas along these lines, Michael.

Between Bartok, Babbitt and Boo, the room is spinning. I'd sooner swallow some of Madison's nails that listen to any more of that metaphysical mess.

Edited by BRASSO

geesus.. don't give a show designer any MORE ideas along these lines, Michael.

Between Bartok, Babbitt and Boo, the room is spinning. I'd sooner swallow some of Madison's nails that listen to any more of that metaphysical mess.

Then you certainly won't like my proposal for a show titled, "Babbitt/Bobbit: Milton and Lorena in B-flat."

Then you certainly won't like my proposal for a show titled, "Babbitt/Bobbit: Milton and Lorena in B-flat."

Does it come with a discount coupon for a bottle of Sominex ?

I can be persuaded sometimes.

I still get really confused every time I see people saying that they don't like things because they don't recognize tunes. How would music in any genre ever progress if there weren't any tunes that one had not heard before? This opinion gets to me more than any others.

That being said, Bartok (along with Mahler, Copland, Stravinsky, and many, many others) all wrote music that is considered quality, and at times includes the "pops" you mention and some other things that some may hear as strange. We may not like all of what a corps plays, but I for one do not want every year to be a medley of Appalachian Spring, Malaguena, and Westside Story, even though I LOVE all of those.

A little bit of time dedicated to learning about what you're playing/listening to does wonders for "interest."

This! :thumbup:

I really loved BD as a child and even was a pen pal with Jerry Seawright; but, my musical horizons grew with the help of so many other corps to add to the pallet of what BD performed. I would not ever have bought a tape to listen to Ron Nelson's Rocky Point Holiday without first hearing the Cadets play that in 1982. Also, if DC is to pander to what many of the younger generation wants to hear then I most certainly will not attend DC shows.

Edited by Joe Salvatore

Great choices M.B.! Just imagine the power of 148 color guard in the 2-3 minute mark of ensemble for synthesizers! And...imagine the auditions for the two music spots - you'd have to be one heck of a pianist to earn a place OUTSIDE the color guard!

I clicked on this thread hoping to find a discussion about my favorite 2010 show. I was hoping we could get back to that soon. I am very excited to see SCV's closer. The whole piece is one of my favorites.

Anyone else care to head us back in the right direction.

I clicked on this thread hoping to find a discussion about my favorite 2010 show. I was hoping we could get back to that soon. I am very excited to see SCV's closer. The whole piece is one of my favorites.

Anyone else care to head us back in the right direction.

You've just done so.

Anyone that can offer up some historical analysis of the original while we wait to to see what SCV gives us? :thumbup:

I still get really confused every time I see people saying that they don't like things because they don't recognize tunes. How would music in any genre ever progress if there weren't any tunes that one had not heard before? This opinion gets to me more than any others.

That being said, Bartok (along with Mahler, Copland, Stravinsky, and many, many others) all wrote music that is considered quality, and at times includes the "pops" you mention and some other things that some may hear as strange. We may not like all of what a corps plays, but I for one do not want every year to be a medley of Appalachian Spring, Malaguena, and Westside Story, even though I LOVE all of those.

As far as the younger generation having no interest, perhaps it is because they haven't been made to really listen. In the band programs I work with, the kids play shows consisting of symphonic, wind band, and various other types of music. We have them listen to different settings of it, similar pieces, other works by the composers, and whatnot. All of them end up liking a good portion of it. Not all like it all. Interestingly enough, the "younger generation," as described most often in relation to being disinterested, seems to be down on the slow ballads, while the students I work with almost always end up with the ballads being their favorite movement (except for the overzealous low brass players, lol).

A little bit of time dedicated to learning about what you're playing/listening to does wonders for "interest."

For me, it's a problem of a lack of passion. Not a lack of passion on the part of the performers, but a lack of passion on the part of the composers. I love Copland, Prokofiev and some other composers that may be deemed "modern" to an extent. This show though. Wow - I have been the biggest SCV homer since I first saw them in 1984 and I can honestly say this is my absolutely least favorite SCV show. I never thought I'd see a show I liked less from SCV than their 2003 show, but this one blows that away. By and large, I feel most modern composers have sucked the passion right out of classical music. I know that's broad, but that's how I feel.

I just don't understand for the life of me, with all the wonderful classical music out there, SCV would pick this. I'm not the biggest fan of 1993 Star, but I did like that show better. Every year doesn't have to be Appalachian Spring, Malaguena and Westside Story, especially when we are talking classical music. SCV does Russian well, and Russian classical composers did passion so well. A perfect match. They could play years worth of exciting shows by Russian composers alone and never repeat themselves. Throw in Beethoven, Mozart, Rossini, Verdi, Wagner, Berlioz, Puccini (to name a few) and there are thousands of shows there. I've never been a fan of Bartok and this show certainly will never make me one.

Maybe like Star 1991, it will grow on me....I hope so. I will give it several chances, but really wish SCV would get back to the Romantic period composers, or dive into the Classical period composers.

At the end of the day, the job of any artistic group is to engage, entertain, teach, and challange your audience. While this show certainly challenges, it does not entertain me in the least, and I believe I will be in the majority here.

Edited by gellio