Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

When it comes to " tonality", I 'm in the Milton Babbitt camp that thinks Bartok blows...his confusing chords are passe and old hat. Bartok couldn't sell his obscure compositions sufficient enough to even give himself a proper burial for heavens sake. He lived in poverty and without the financial assistance of friends that provided for food, clothing and shelter, he would have died on the street... as it was he couldn't command a dozen people to attend his funeral. Look, I have nothing against Bartok, as he's the apparent love of the US and western world music intelligensia these days... but many of the most up to date anaysis of this composer's work is less than flattering to say the least. Babbit for one. Bartok was boring then. He's boring today. But hey, that' just my opinion here, too.

Well, if riches and approriate burial are the yard stick for compositional value, I guess we better kick that Mozart guy to the curb too!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say I liked it, I just said that's the way its likely intended to move you.

True. Bartok's music typically does make a lot of people " uncomfortable ". It does have that effect with it's dissonance and the incongruity of it all. Some people like this music. And that's certainly their perogative. I 'm happy for them. Really. But personally, Bartok's music is worse than elevator music to my ears.

But personally, Bartok's music is worse than elevator music to my ears.

That's called taste.

Bartok wrote with a lot of variety, and his pieces appealed to different tastes, just like any composer's.

Unless there's something wrong with you, every composer out there will have pieces that fit and don't fit your tastes, including Bartok.

I suppose some people like some muzak and noth other muzak, too, but....yeah.

You either like it or you don't. Not much to argue about there. I happen to really enjoy this show. If BRASSO doesn't like the show, then let him not like it. It's not a crime to not like something.

Bingo.

And it's not just SCV's show, it's ANY show. You either like it or you don't.

Well, if riches and approriate burial are the yard stick for compositional value, I guess we better kick that Mozart guy to the curb too!

comparing Bartok's music and legacy to the world to Mozart's music and legacy to the world is akin to comparing A Flock of Seagulls music and legacy to the world to that of The Beatles music and legacy to the world.

Edited by BRASSO

comparing Bartok's music and legacy to the world to Mozart's music and legacy to the world is akin to comparing A Flock of Seagulls music and legacy to the world to that of The Beatles.

it was a logical extension of what you were saying about Bartok dying in poverty and obscurity. You can change premises all you want, but they were right.

it was a logical extension of what you were saying about Bartok dying in poverty and obscurity. You can change premises all you want, but they were right.

For the record, Mozart, who died rather suddenly at age 35, was buried in the contemporary fashion prevalent in 1791 Vienna. There was nothing extraordinary about his funeral not being grandiose. It was in full accordance with Viennese culture and customs. His funeral and burial was typical.. not atypical. Bartok, on the other hand, died as an older gentleman in a manner that befitted his relative obscurity as a composer at the time of his death in 1945 in New York City.

Edited by BRASSO

For the record, Mozart, who died rather suddenly at age 35, was buried in the contemporary fashion prevalent in 1791 Vienna. There was nothing extraordinary about his funeral not being grandiose. It was in full accordance with Viennese culture and customs. His funeral and burial was typical.. not atypical. Bartok, on the other hand, died as an older gentleman in a manner that befitted his relative obscurity as a composer at the time of his death in 1945 in New York City.

lol

OK... we've really traveled far on this thread (discussing composer deaths and merit of their music).

So, back to the topic on hand, Santa Clara Vanguard 2010.

I'll state that regardless of taste, I think that the year's program is a good fit for Vanguard.

I also enjoyed Michael Cesario's, Marc Sylvester's and Dan Potter's discussion on DCI Field Pass.

Link at http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=6...87-4ae3257f3059

Michael cited the use of Bartok as "the Perfect fit for Santa Clara". I happen to agree.