Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I looooooove this show.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the appeal to Star's program was in the Medea excerpts, not in the Celesta Concerto.

So again, we continue to have many folks trying to compare SCV 2010 with Start 1993.

They are not playing the same complete show.

Perhaps we can say I prefer Star's Celesta Concerto better because...

That would be fun get everyone's opinion on.

So again, we continue to have many folks trying to compare SCV 2010 with Start 1993.

They are not playing the same complete show.

Perhaps we can say I prefer Star's Celesta Concerto better because...

That would be fun get everyone's opinion on.

I know that - I was specifically asked to compare the two. :thumbup: That said, it did make me realize that my beef is with that piece in particular, not Bartok in general.

Mike

I know that - I was specifically asked to compare the two. :tongue: That said, it did make me realize that my beef is with that piece in particular, not Bartok in general.

Mike

Yep.

To be clear for all thread followers Star 1993 played Allegro (from Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste) by Bartok, Bela in addition to other Samuel Barber selections.

Mike, how do you feel about SCV 2010's Concerto for Orchestra (even though presently unfinished)?

Edited by Joe Salvatore

Yep.

To be clear for all thread followers Star 1993 played Allegro (from Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste) by Bartok, Bela in addition to other Samuel Barber selections.

Mike, how do you feel about SCV 2010's Concerto for Orchestra (even though presently unfinished)?

When I watched Star in '93 I was a junior in high school. Probably like many when I was young I didn't get Bela Bartok and thought he was just a dude that forgot to do his theory homework so he just threw some notes on the page and called it a style. I didn't care for Star '93 at the time, but I was still mesmorized by it, something kept pulling me back to watch it. When I got into college I became facinated with Bartok and Samuel Barber, Shostakovich and other 20th century compsers. I loved Star '93 after that because I knew that Bartok and Barber were not slouches in school, but visionaries that created a new style of writing with 12 tone row, parallel writing etc... I say this to say that while I know SCV's show is not trying to be like Star and is in fact mostly different music, it's going to be hard not to compare. I think simply because they (Star) had a masterpiece and were the first to really bring Bartok to the masses. With that said, I think that the writing of the two corps is vastly different. It seems to me that SCV has choppiness to the arrangements and thus the show does not seem to truly develop musically. Yes they're doing some different music from Star, but the Star show definitely developed and didn't ever seems too segmented. Ultimately I think after I watch SCV live and then hear this show more and more I may not feel this way. Right now the marching arrangements of Bartok that we have liked over the years have been from Star and thus it may take longer to get into SCV '10. We'll see, but I think the more people get used to this show it will be well received. The visual package seems to be vey good and I think this will really help to sell the music. Going to be fun to watch how this show develops throughout the summer!

Wes P

I consider myself to be an SCV fan, but I absolutely HATE this show. Although I realize what is on the fan network is not indicative of the final product, I hope some things change DRASTICALLY for the vanguard. That's all I have to say.

Just keepin' it real. Don't get mad at me :tongue:

I consider myself to be an SCV fan, but I absolutely HATE this show. Although I realize what is on the fan network is not indicative of the final product, I hope some things change DRASTICALLY for the vanguard. That's all I have to say.

Just keepin' it real. Don't get mad at me :tongue:

Wow...

Hate?

Good thing the kids are strongly advised NOT to log onto drum corps planet.

After reading all the negative comments on here about the music and how boring the show is... Well, I thought I'd go back to the FN and watch Stanford a few more times. Nope, still don't get what all the fuss is about... the average person won't like this music? Really? I love this show! I can't wait to see the whole package. I find it hard to believe that this show won't be a contender in Indy.

Yeah, go ahead, tell me to take my SCV goggles off...

:thumbdown:

I'm surprised a show that is basically all about the music, without a pretentious and poorly executed theme, with a great visual design that doesn't detract from the musicality of the show is receiving so much flack.

Thank you, SCV, for realizing you are not in WGI.

You are about the music and this is why I will always love you.

You guys can have your tables, chairs, mirrors, rabbits, horse fences, ladders, etc.

I'll take Bartok's "ugly" music ANY day.