Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

I'm surprised a show that is basically all about the music, without a pretentious and poorly executed theme, with a great visual design that doesn't detract from the musicality of the show is receiving so much flack.

Thank you, SCV, for realizing you are not in WGI.

You are about the music and this is why I will always love you.

You guys can have your tables, chairs, mirrors, rabbits, horse fences, ladders, etc.

I'll take Bartok's "ugly" music ANY day.

Why is this 2010 SCV show considered not " pretentious " ? I mean, nothing against SCV selecting the music of Bartok. It will be played on Finals Night by SCV. But is it JUST a coincidence that Star of Indiana Alumni will be putting on their long awaited Reunion show in Indianapolis, Indiana in the Semi's Finals exhibition show this year that features Bartok's controversial musical style ? And that the SCV staff selected the Bartok inspired music, but had no clue at all, that Star would be there in Indiana ? Could a case be made ( or not ) that SCV is engaging in pandering here ? Look, I'm just raising the question here, that's all. Maybe it IS a coincidence, and SCV was going to do this Bartok inspired music this year anyway. Its certainly possible that after a long absence, SCV just decided to do homage to Bartok anyway this year. Then again, maybe it's the height of pandering. Who knows. The timing of this certainly makes people wonder why Bartok... and why THIS year. People can decide for themselves, either way.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised a show that is basically all about the music, without a pretentious and poorly executed theme, with a great visual design that doesn't detract from the musicality of the show is receiving so much flack.

Thank you, SCV, for realizing you are not in WGI.

You are about the music and this is why I will always love you.

You guys can have your tables, chairs, mirrors, rabbits, horse fences, ladders, etc.

I'll take Bartok's "ugly" music ANY day.

I addressed this in my earlier post. I am glad to see SCV do a show that is without a "Central Theme." Ballett for Martha however, was a themed show and they were awesome in carrying out that theme. Themed or not themed, SCV always puts out a quality product with great execution. This year it's not about what they (SCV) are or aren't trying to portray, it's the fact that the musical arrangements don't really engage the audience member. I'm right there with you about their visual package and think everything in the program this year is strong, except the musical growth. I think it's hard to do a Bartok show that has some of the same musical elements to what Star '93 did and not compare. That being said I don't want to compare and I do want to give this show a chance, however after watching it from Stanford it's a bit disjointed and way too segmented. The music doesn't develop. I think that's represented in their GE Mus score which I believe was failrly low last night compared to the GE vis score. Just saying that when you follow one of the most popular SCV show's (Ballet for Martha) which makes you feel warm and fuzzy and musically draws you in, you're gonna hope to see something similiar the next year. In similiar fashion, I hope for BK's sake they do a similiar show next year to what they are doing this summer. They are kinda doing the same thing SCV did a year ago, strong music that develops and stays true to the originals. I'm a Bartok fan and I'm just not that into the arrangements this year. Are they good? They're ok, are they gonna be a fan favorite? No. Just the way it is. But hey I come from a corps that in our past was maligned for the musical choices and darkness portrayed and you either loved it or didn't care for it all. This is a line in the sand show for SCV, people will either love it, or won't love it. Just kinda have to accept that.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Why is this 2010 SCV show considered not " pretentious " ? I mean, nothing against SCV selecting the music of Bartok. But is it JUST a coincidence that Star of Indiana Alumni will be putting on their long awaited Reunion show in Indianapolis, Indiana this year that features Bartok's controversial musical style ? And that the SCV staff selected the Bartok inspired music, but had no clue at all, that Star would be there in Indiana ? Could a case be made ( or not ) that SCV is engaging in pandering here ? Look, I'm just raising the questio here, that's all. Maybe it IS a coincidence, and SCV was going to do this Bartok inspired music this year, anyway. Its certainly possible that after a long absence, SCV just decided to do Bartok anyway this year.

Notice I said the theme isn't pretentious, not the show.

If you feel the show is pretentious, then you probably feel that Bartok's music as a whole is pretentious, which is another matter.

And I guarantee you Vanguard's show has absolutely zero to do with Star's reunion.

That is not how SCV operates, whatsoever.

And Wesley, I'm sorry you feel the arrangements aren't what they should be, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you, at least as far as my personal opinion goes (obviously we're all entitled to our own. lol)

Maybe it's just because I'm a Bartok fan in general, but I really like the arrangements. Especially the 4th movement of the Concerto for Orchestra. The arrangement of the section where the strings enter of the 4th movement is the most beautiful moment I've heard in any show so far this year. This show got me hooked from the start and had me entertained the whole time.

Why is this 2010 SCV show considered not " pretentious " ? I mean, nothing against SCV selecting the music of Bartok. But is it JUST a coincidence that Star of Indiana Alumni will be putting on their long awaited Reunion show in Indianapolis, Indiana this year that features Bartok's controversial musical style ? And that the SCV staff selected the Bartok inspired music, but had no clue at all, that Star would be there in Indiana ? Could a case be made ( or not ) that SCV is engaging in pandering here ? Look, I'm just raising the question here, that's all. Maybe it IS a coincidence, and SCV was going to do this Bartok inspired music this year anyway. Its certainly possible that after a long absence, SCV just decided to do homage to Bartok anyway this year. Then again, maybe it's the height of pandering. Who knows. The timing of this certainly makes people wonder why Bartok... and why THIS year. People can decide for themselves, either way.

Also, look no farther back than 2007.

Their show was "!" With music by Ravel and Bartok.

And I think that alone makes your claim of "pandering" a tad ridiculous.

Edited- Because I'm stupid and don't even know what I was trying to say.

Edited by rosski47

And I guarantee you Vanguard's show has absolutely zero to do with Star's reunion.

I used to like how SCV " operates ", but the G-7 soured me a bt here re. how SCV " operates ". ( just my opinion here)

That said, I will acknowledge that SCV doing Bartok this year and Star doing Bartok is probably just a coincidence. Others can likewise decide for themselves if it's just a coincidence or not.

Edited by BRASSO

Notice I said the theme isn't pretentious, not the show.

If you feel the show is pretentious, then you probably feel that Bartok's music as a whole is pretentious, which is another matter.

And Wesley, I'm sorry you feel the arrangements aren't what they should be, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you, at least as far as my personal opinion goes (obviously we're all entitled to our own. lol)

Maybe it's just because I'm a Bartok fan in general, but I really like the arrangements. Especially the 4th movement of the Concerto for Orchestra. The arrangement of the section where the strings enter of the 4th movement is the most beautiful moment I've heard in any show so far this year. This show got me hooked from the start and had me entertained the whole time.

It's cool man, we can have differinng opinions and I applaud your liking of the arrangments this year. Like I said I also am a Bartok and 20th century music fan, but this years production so far hasn't been my cup o tea, but I'm not going to be closed minded and I will give it a chance to grow on me througout the summer.. Cheers! :thumbdown:

Wes P

BK '97 '98

Also, look no farther back than 2007. Their show was "!" With music by Ravel and Bartok. It's no secret that SCV is a corps who likes minimalist composers.

Maybe (ref. Glass in 1999) ... but Ravel and Bartok hardly qualify as minimalist composers.

Guys, let the haters hate. Don't fuel them. ~something I have to remind myself a lot~

No hating here, just some opinions... Discussions of various points aren't a bad thing. It's when people act petty and don't respect others that it becomes an issue. Just some passionate fans here that love SCV and those of us who love them but but maybe not the show as is this year so far!!

Wes P

Guys, let the haters hate. Don't fuel them. ~something I have to remind myself a lot~

I agree. There is no need to fuel the haters who demean those Corps that" use mirrors, horse fences, et and other props and so forth. People should be able to speak their mind without engaging in the slings and arrows toward other Corps to try and boost their favorite Corps show here.

Edited by BRASSO