Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

No problem, rosski47, we ALL have a keyboard stroke every once in awhile... ( I'm about overdue for another...haha)

Key board stroke I like that it's sort of like when you are writing something and then u lose njnnrfquiurgne gefni;erg and then you come back to reality? :thumbdown:

Wes P

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Key board stroke I like that it's sort of like when you are writing something and then u lose njnnrfquiurgne gefni;erg and then you come back to reality? :thumbdown:

Wes P

It was a pretty bad one too, I could only type with my right side and suddenly had a british accent.

:thumbup:

This much controversy over Bartok's most popular and crowd-pleasing piece? And people wonder why drum corps is looked down upon by man "serious" musicians...

It's just not "hummable" and I like to hum.

Sorry.

It's just not "hummable" and I like to hum.

Sorry.

You should learn how to hum to it.

No seriously, I felt the same way when I first got exposed to this kind of music. It's definitely an acquired taste.

BUT

(as a general statement to anyone who's having trouble getting into SCV's music)

If you do learn to dig stuff like this it'll open your world up a little more, which is always good! So just give it time and hopefully it'll grow on you. :thumbdown:

You should learn how to hum to it.

No seriously, I felt the same way when I first got exposed to this kind of music. It's definitely an acquired taste.

BUT

(as a general statement to anyone who's having trouble getting into SCV's music)

If you do learn to dig stuff like this it'll open your world up a little more, which is always good! So just give it time and hopefully it'll grow on you. :thumbdown:

I was joking, but I agree with you 100%. It's not for everybody, but the 5th movement is about as "Pops" as orchestral music gets.

There are some good pockets of discussions going on regarding the SCV show.

From my spot in the stands this is the first SCV show in a number of years I really enjoyed on the first viewing. Yes, as many have noted, the concept is different and the music is a risk - but so what! These performers are pouring their hearts and souls into a complex show - on many levels - and a masterpiece is starting to emerge.

Something the majority of postings are missing is the artistic impressionism coming from the visual design and performance. Unlike normal visual design where the success is dependent on the machine-like choreography of the whole, the SCV motif seems to be the individual quality coming together in a mosaic fashion to present the whole.

As for the music, I strongly agree with those noting knowing the source material takes enjoyment of the show to a higher level.

Bottom line, a great show from a great corps!!

I'm surprised a show that is basically all about the music, without a pretentious and poorly executed theme, with a great visual design that doesn't detract from the musicality of the show is receiving so much flack.

Thank you, SCV, for realizing you are not in WGI.

You are about the music and this is why I will always love you.

You guys can have your tables, chairs, mirrors, rabbits, horse fences, ladders, etc.

I'll take Bartok's "ugly" music ANY day.

Nice! :thumbdown:

...however after watching it from Stanford it's a bit disjointed and way too segmented. The music doesn't develop.

Yes and did anyone hear how in SCV's first Phantom of the Opera show (1988) in the last show of 1st tour, they had a race to the finish of the opener between side 1 horns, side 2 horns, and drums. It is very early folks. Also, I'd say sometimes corps change their shows in ways that are disappointing. In one of Gail Royer's last years with SCV (1992) they did a very traditional Fiddler on the Roof show. Many of us were really disappointed that they gutted the wonderful old-time show that many witnessed in California that summer. The end result did not change as they placed 7th with a show really not as enjoyable as the one they started with.

I agree. There is no need to fuel the haters who demean those Corps that" use mirrors, horse fences, et and other props and so forth. People should be able to speak their mind without engaging in the slings and arrows toward other Corps to try and boost their favorite Corps show here.

Good point BRASSO, we all do need to keep focused on our options without subtle or direct jabs at other corps.

I just wish that the shark would comeback and eat another opera fat lady... that was so fun!