Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

Does anyone know if they have added the new ending yet? I am going to see them tomorrow in Pasadena, and I am looking forward to watching them since this show is growing on me. I think it will be a great time to perform the new ending since the show is not scored.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This much controversy over Bartok's most popular and crowd-pleasing piece? And people wonder why drum corps is looked down upon by man "serious" musicians...

Name us some " serious " musicians we all know that " look down " upon Drum Corps. ( now don't cite some obscure prof. at some 2nd rate college music dept. that hasn't had commercial success himself or herself with a major record label contract... most of us don't take these musicians seriously either ). Maynard Ferguson, Chic Corea, Arthur Fielder, Rita Moreno, Chuck Mangione, and about 50 other prominent commercially successful musicians, composers, symphony orchestra directors, professional dance performers, etc take Drum Corps seriously for the contributions to youth develoment in the performing arts. But if the choice is to play boring music, then expect the criticism in some quarters, that's all. Apparently from reports, Star knew that playing boring Bartok would meet with alot of angst on the part of many fans. And they were not disappointed. I suspect the staff of SCV knew that doing this to SCV this year would likewise lead to the boring tag. It goes with the territory when one selects Bartok as the musical inspiration for a Drum Corps show.

Edited by BRASSO

Name us some " serious " musicians we all know that " look down " upon Drum Corps. ( now don't cite some obscure prof. at some 2nd rate college music dept. that hasn't had commercial success himself or herself with a major record label contract... most of us don't take these musicians seriously either ). Maynard Ferguson, Chic Corea, Arthur Fielder, Rita Moreno, Chuck Mangione, and about 50 other prominent commercially successful musicians, composers, symphony orchestra directors, professional dance performers, etc take Drum Corps seriously for the contributions to youth develoment in the performing arts.

Brasso, as an obscure professor teaching in a second-rate college music department, I am deeply offended by your comment. I don't look down on drum corps- I was involved for five years, met my wife in corps, and we still plan our family vacations around corps shows. I'm pretty sure that most of the other obscure faculty members at my school would enjoy a drum corps show- if they even knew that drum corps existed.

And it's Chick, not Chic.

Brasso, as an obscure professor teaching in a second-rate college music department, I am deeply offended by your comment. I don't look down on drum corps- I was involved for five years, met my wife in corps, and we still plan our family vacations around corps shows. I'm pretty sure that most of the other obscure faculty members at my school would enjoy a drum corps show- if they even knew that drum corps existed.

And it's Chick, not Chic.

" Chick " Corea... ( typo ) I know the man. (He marched Drum Corps)

And there was no need to take my post personally, as it was not intended as a criicism of you at all... no matter what you do for employment. I was telling the poster above that any " serious " musician that he claims" looks down "on Drum Corps " need not be taken seriously these days any more. Those days have come and gone now. If they are unfamiliar with Drum Corps, that is one thing. But if they ARE familiar with it, and STILL look down at it, well they are ignorant and rude, that's all. I listed a few names above ( could have listed 50 more ) of successful people in the performing arts that don't " look down " on Drum Corps. That's all we need to know. Not some obscure musician somewhere that nobody heard of telling us differently.

Plus, if one simply scrolls down DCP, they'll see a thread where a former Phantom Regiment trumpet player was recently selected by the Boston Symphony Orchestra to become a member of their trumpet section. I think this " serious music " group knows a thing or two about music... and the young man cut his teeth in trumpet playing doing Drum Corps. So those who " look down " on Drum Corps are simply misguided or ignorant.

Edited by BRASSO

" Chick " Corea... ( typo ) I know the man. (He marched Drum Corps)

And there was no need to take my post personally, as it was not intended as a criicism of you at all... no matter what you do for employment. I was telling the poster above that any " serious " musician that he claims" looks down "on Drum Corps " need not be taken seriously these days any more. Those days have come and gone now. If they are unfamiliar with Drum Corps, that is one thing. But if they ARE familiar with it, and STILL look down at it, well they are ignorant and rude, that's all. I listed a few names above ( could have listed 50 more ) of successful people in the performing arts that don't " look down " on Drum Corps. That's all we need to know. Not some obscure musician somewhere that nobody heard of telling us differently.

Plus, if one simply scrolls down DCP, they'll see a thread where a former Phantom Regiment trumpet player was recently selected by the Boston Symphony Orchestra to become a member of their trumpet section. I think this " serious music " group knows a thing or two about music... and the young man cut his teeth in trumpet playing doing Drum Corps. So those who " look down " on Drum Corps are simply misguided or ignorant.

I see that you have taken care of your own...But in your defense..I'm really not sure why that guy took your post as you were speaking about him either....I did not read it that way...You were just responding to the other guys comment about "serious" musicians. I SAT next to MANY serious musicians at Championships over the years..the last was in Bloomington...I am not going to name drop because I respect their privacy...so I think that comment from the guy that said drum corps is not taken serious is a bunch a bunk if you ask me...

Name us some " serious " musicians we all know that " look down " upon Drum Corps. ( now don't cite some obscure prof. at some 2nd rate college music dept. that hasn't had commercial success himself or herself with a major record label contract... most of us don't take these musicians seriously either ). Maynard Ferguson, Chic Corea, Arthur Fielder, Rita Moreno, Chuck Mangione, and about 50 other prominent commercially successful musicians, composers, symphony orchestra directors, professional dance performers, etc take Drum Corps seriously for the contributions to youth develoment in the performing arts. But if the choice is to play boring music, then expect the criticism in some quarters, that's all. Apparently from reports, Star knew that playing boring Bartok would meet with alot of angst on the part of many fans. And they were not disappointed. I suspect the staff of SCV knew that doing this to SCV this year would likewise lead to the boring tag. It goes with the territory when one selects Bartok as the musical inspiration for a Drum Corps show.

I'm not totally sure (because I don't know them personally), but I'd be willing to bet that none of the musicians you listed above find Bartok's music boring.

I see that you have taken care of your own...But in your defense..I'm really not sure why that guy took your post as you were speaking about him either....I did not read it that way...You were just responding to the other guys comment about "serious" musicians. I SAT next to MANY serious musicians at Championships over the years..the last was in Bloomington...I am not going to name drop because I respect their privacy...so I think that comment from the guy that said drum corps is not taken serious is a bunch a bunk if you ask me...

We had a thread on here last month from a guy on DCP that claimed in his interview with an applicant for a musical position opening, the musical applicant made some snide condensending remarks relative to those that do or did Drum Corps. The implication was that the applicant thought doing Drum Corps was beneath them and was convinced that having done so would have been a total waste of their time if engaged in.

So here we had a guy that was either underemployed... or worse.... unemployed and broke.... saying this on the very same day that it was announced that a former multi year trumpet in the Phantom Regiment ( and from a Drum Corps family ) was chosen to become a trumpet in the internationally renowned Boston Symphony and Pops Orchestra. The threads were right along the side of one another on DCP.

How illustrative and refreshing it was to read both these threads in tandem that day I thought. It brought a smile to this Drum Corps fan's face.

Edited by BRASSO

I'm not totally sure (because I don't know them personally), but I'd be willing to bet that none of the musicians you listed above find Bartok's music boring.

Maynard Ferguson is entertaining all the angels and the souls in heaven with his trumpet these days, my friend..

I have no idea what he thought of Bela Bartok. And I guess we'll never know now.

But it is unmistakably clear that Maynard Ferguson had a lot of love, admiration, and respect for the brass players of Drum Corps. He organized concert gigs with some of the brass playing legends of Drum Corps to play in concert with his band, as a matter of fact. He was happy to be asked to do music commentary one year in the booth at DCI Finals too, and enthusiastically obliged and participated.

Edited by BRASSO