Santa Clara Vanguard 2010

Wow Brasso! That's a bold statement. SCV has been around since the inception of DCI, and to the best of my knowledge is doing well financially and administratively.

Is there something that you know that the rest of us do not? Are you on the Vanguard Board of Directors or something??

No, Brasso just feels the need to mention G7 in every single post he makes.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Brasso! That's a bold statement. SCV has been around since the inception of DCI, and to the best of my knowledge is doing well financially and administratively.

Is there something that you know that the rest of us do not? Are you on the Vanguard Board of Directors or something??

well,... yes.. apparently YOU anyway don't appear to know yet about what conceivably might be going down.

No, Brasso just feels the need to mention G7 in every single post he makes.

nah.... 95% of my dozens of posts the last 2 weeks never mentioned G-7 at all. So that's just flat out wrong... nice try, BugleBand.

Edited by BRASSO

Well by all means, do share. If you're willing to bring it up, SURELY you would be willing to follow through with your bold statement.

What are you talking about ? A " revelation " that there is a chance of an unrepairable schism within the World Class Division ? Were you and Pee Wee here away somewhere the last month ?... if so that'd explain it, I guess.

DCI NEWS RELEASE

ENTIRE VELVET KNIGHTS REPERTOIRE FROM 1982 TO PRESENT DAY TO BE STRICKEN FROM DCI CD COLLECTIONS

"They can't hear the funny," says DCI, VK executives

Heh. I first encountered Velvet Knights via the 1989 CD, and thus had no idea that they emphasized comedy in their shows.

< atonality>

Whoa! Bartok is dense and full of odd progressions...but it's not atonal...unless perhaps you're talking about the BD show by mistake (ducks and runs...)

When it comes to " tonality", I 'm in the Milton Babbitt camp that thinks Bartok blows...his confusing chords are passe and old hat. Bartok couldn't sell his obscure compositions sufficient enough to even give himself a proper burial for heavens sake. He lived in poverty and without the financial assistance of friends that provided for food, clothing and shelter, he would have died on the street... as it was he couldn't command a dozen people to attend his funeral. Look, I have nothing against Bartok, as he's the apparent love of the US and western world music intelligensia these days... but many of the most up to date anaysis of this composer's work is less than flattering to say the least. Babbit for one. Bartok was boring then. He's boring today. But hey, that' just my opinion here, too.

Edited by BRASSO

sitting in my car in rush hour traffic makes me " uncomfortable " too. So what ? And I supposed to LIKE "uncomfortable " ?

Given a choice, I 'll take being " comfortable " over " uncomfortable " any day of the week.

Then again, I do know some folks that still don't believe in air conditioning as part of their Global Warming thingy, so I'm happy a least they are happy being " uncomfortable " with the AC turned off.

I didn't say I liked it, I just said that's the way its likely intended to move you.

When it comes to " tonality", I 'm in the Milton Babbitt camp that thinks Bartok blows...his confusing chords are passe and old hat. Bartok couldn't sell his obscure compositions sufficient enough to even give himself a proper burial for heavens sake. He lived in poverty and without the financial assistance of friends that provided for food, clothing and shelter, he would have died on the street... as it was he couldn't command a dozen people to attend his funeral. Look, I have nothing against Bartok, as he's the apparent love of the US and western world music intelligensia these days... but many of the most up to date anaysis of this composer's work is less than flattering to say the least. Babbit for one. Bartok was boring then. He's boring today. But hey, that' just my opinion here, too.

So did Mozart. As did several other HIGHLY acclaimed composers, who were unappreciated and unpopular or virtually unknown in their day for various reasons. Popularity in a lifetime is not the only indicator of cultural and historical significance.