Poll and Discuss...

I accidently posted this in the reviews.......

OK.....I am not entirely sure how to start a poll, but I wanted to ask the general public, and/or fans of both Reading and Hawthorne....

Which statement is more rediculous........

"The Cabs have been playing shows that are variations of Kershner's "Pictures of Spain" or "Malaguena" for the better part of the last four decades, maybe longer".... :laughing:

Or....

"The Bucs are ruining DCA"? :blink:

(These 2 Quotes were taken from another thread)...

Discuss.......

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have what the person Frank quoted is having.....

Been a rough day and need something numbing. And ya gotta be numb to say this about either corps. :laughing:

Yes to the first one. Take a page from Pio's book this year, getting away from the Irish stuff for a change-bet you see a jump in placement, they already have seen a jump in membership.

OK.....I am not entirely sure how to start a poll, but I wanted to ask the general public, and/or fans of both Reading and Hawthorne....

"The Cabs have been playing shows that are variations of Kershner's "Pictures of Spain" or "Malaguena" for the better part of the last four decades, maybe longer".... :tongue:

Or....

"The Bucs are ruining DCA"? :cool:

Discuss.......

"Cabs'vs Buccs":

"Pictures of Spain" didn't come along (For Caballeros) until 1991. Muchahos had used it previosly (1974 & 75) , also written by LK. Crossmen had also used it in the 1980's, and I "believe" it was written by Matt Krempasky (Who ALSO wrote and taught Caballeros in the early 1990's). "Pictures" is an "Original" LK work, copyrighted. :blink:

"Maleguena" has been around FOREVER. The firat corps I ever heard use it was the Caimbridge Caballeros, 1961. Al Saia wrote and taught it to them. Caballeros had it arranged for them back in the 1960's, I "Believe" by Truman Crawford. (Yeah, Truman Crawford).

LK started working with Caballeros in 1969, while he was still a STUDENT at Berklee Music College. As far as "Four Decades" of "Kershner's Pictures & Maleguena": I don't think so. :laughing:

"Bucc's Ruining DCA": Gimmie a break. They are very good. They are and will be very hard to beat. Best of luck to Caballeros, Empire, MBI and Hurricanes.

Elphaba

Hawthorne has kept their identity for the longest time and that is so cool!

Reading, along with many others are what's great about DCA....add Statesmen, Bush, Cabs, Hurcs, MBI and Renegades PLUS all the other great DCA corps...I think DCA has more quality corps than ever!

"The Cabs have been playing shows that are variations of Kershner's "Pictures of Spain" or "Malaguena" for the better part of the last four decades, maybe longer".... :laughing:

Or....

"The Bucs are ruining DCA"? :blink:

Discuss.......

Don't have much to say about the Cabs comment. They will always be one of my favorite corps and were the first Senior (now All-Age) corps I saw back in the 70's. I'll never forget the Cabs lead sop wailing away from on top of the bus after the show.

Bucs are redefining and lifting the whole organization. Ruining? Are you kidding me!!? They sure are making it tough for old guys like me to stay in the game. There is an ever advancing demand curve in the show content in DCA and I have an ever dwindling capability curve as I get older (55 this year). I may be on the bad side of the intersection of these respective curves already. But last years DCA Championships was the most fun I've ever had at a drum corps show with solid quality top to bottom.

Since I'm the one being quoted, I guess I would say...

1. Yes (I'm the one who said it. And I don't claim to have uncovered any big secret. Everyone knows the Cabs have played these types of shows for a long time. I also mentioned that my favorite Cabs show in recent years was Carmen. Still fit the Cabs identity, but it gave them the chance to present a little different flavor. I'm sorry to sound harsh, but I and a lot of other people I know have heard enough shows that sound like Malaguena or Pictures of Spain for a while....a long while. But of course, this is just my opinion, and I know the Cabs have lots of fans that love the fact that they know what to expect when they see the corps perform. However, I don't think it is going to do very well competitively.

2. No the Bucs are not ruining DCA. I have been to finals several times in the last 10 years after not being around the activity much for 15 years before that, and I have definitely noticed an increase in the quality level of all of the corps, from top to bottom. Corps like Bush, Brigs and Bucs (hmm, maybe it's a B thing?) have done a lot to push the other corps to play catch up. I'm sure it's frustrating to the other corps when one corps goes on a terror like these two have done over the last 12 years, but as several others have said, if they don't like it, step up and do something about it. This includes the show writers along with the corps members proper.

Sorry to have caused so much hulabaloo, but I was always known for being a loud mouth back in my day. I guess retiring (from drum corps) hasn't changed that very much. Good thing we didn't have this DCP thing back in the 70's & 80's. It was bad enough just in the lots after the shows. :laughing:

1. Yes. They play similar stuff because that's they're identity. Just because it's true doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Just gotta risk that some people are going to not even give the shows a chance because they'll assume its the same.

2. The Bucs are a saving grace of DCA. The Bucs are the gold standard that everyone is chasing. When someone finally beats Reading, there are going to be posts along the lines of "Thank God for _______, they saved DCA!" ... and I always ask, "Is it going to be because Reading got worse?" doubt it. People and organizations rise to challenges.

1 Great corps' and 22 good corps' is a lot better for the strength and longevity of the activity than 23 good corps'.