Your 2nd Predicion Thread

Jersey Surf, Mandarins, and Pacific Crest ( 62 range ) are all within 5 points of Crossmen and Spirit, Colts ( 67 range). Troopers got a 69 last nght. Spirit, Troopers, Crossmen, Colts, are right now closer in range to Mandarins, Jersey Surf and Pacific Crest than to Blue Knights and Madison Scouts that are at 72 and 73 range. And Boston,at 75 in 1st show out, are only 2 tenths out from Cavaliers recent 75 score... and others. I mean anything can happen up or down, as it's WAY too early to speculate, but the listing of Corps here in your grouping could, and probably will, change. The key to look at right now are the Visual and GE scores. The execution captions will rise. But you need to have the show vehicle in the eyes of the judges to get the maximum edge. Anyway, I expect some surprises before all is said and done this year... maybe a few more surprises than we usually get.

Hmm... I dont know where you saw Pacific Crest scoring a 62, but the most recent score was a 67.2, and before that a 66.5. And from what I've seen, the show isn't all out on the field, so i expect the GE score to rise once they put it out there.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I dont know where you saw Pacific Crest scoring a 62, but the most recent score was a 67.2, and before that a 66.5. And from what I've seen, the show isn't all out on the field, so i expect the GE score to rise once they put it out there.

That Sunday nite score for Pacific Crest of 67.2 came to me after I posted my comments on Sunday morning at around 10: 30 am. I'm on the East Coast. That Pacific Crest score would have been posted on the DCI website Monday morning when I'm in deep slumberland, MattWtrs. So take no offense that I did not pick up on that 67.2 score. I wish Pacific Crest nothing but the best this season. Who knows, maybe they'll improve enough to even make Finals.

Edited by BRASSO

That Sunday nite score for Pacific Crest of 67.2 came to me after I posted my comments on Sunday morning at around 10: 30 am. I'm on the East Coast. That Pacific Crest score would have been posted on the DCI website Monday morning when I'm in deep slumberland, MattWtrs. So take no offense that I did not pick up on that 67.2 score. I wish Pacific Crest nothing but the best this season. Who knows, maybe they'll improve enough to even make Finals.

No offense taken- just putting the scores out there. :tongue:

No offense taken- just putting the scores out there. :tongue:

The competition to make that 12th spot for Finals right now seems to be among more Corps than usual. This makes it quite interesting. And with Pacific Crest scoring a 67.20, this certainly puts them right in the hunt it would seem. The key will be ( like always ) the up coming head to head competition among so many of these Corps.... at all levels.

1. Blue Devils

2. SCV

3. Carolina Crown

4. Bluecoats

5. Cadets

6. Cavaliers

7. Boston Crusaders

8. BlueStars

9. Blue Knights

10. Phantom Regiment

11. Madison Scouts

12. Glassmen

13. Colts

14. Spirit

15. Academy

16. Troopers

17. Crossmen

G

I think this is going to be a wild season......there are some really good corps, and some corps have definitely stepped up from where they were before........here are my current predictions, with comments in parenthesis.....

1. Cadets........the package has it all...demand in every section, strong music which is well-written and ACCESSIBLE,

perhaps their best drumline since 2005 (which is what is going to seal the deal), and enough talent to

nail it by August.....they will come from behind late in the season to do so.....

2. Phantom.......that's right.........they are going to come on strong when they get the visual book tightened and guard work

in.....this corps can play, and have a musical package that will hang with anyone.......I think the guard will

get better, but will be what keeps them out of the winner's circle....however, that's a big variable, so if they

can make the guard hot, look out.........in 2008, I called it this early, and people laughed, as they were

losing solidly......but it happened......took until the last show, though.........

3. Crown.......very musical, with no weaknesses.......at the end, though, they don't quite generate enough excitement in the

effect caption.......

4. Blue Devils..........yes, they are very talented in all segments, and will execute quite well. However, the musical

arrangements have serious continuity issues which limit their effect.........this caption will hinder their

chance at winning.........however, musical continuity is a musical aspect that is constantly ignored

by the judging community, so if it is ignored yet again, who knows.............

5. Blue Stars.............another sleeper.......I was floored when I saw them on FN this week. They have stepped to the plate

with this one. Great brass sound and scoring....Aungst has written a top-shelf perc. book for them, and

it looks like they have the horses to pull it off, the visual package is solid, and they have a huge amount

of effect and the book is musical.

For me, this corps is the surprise of the year....it reminds me of Crown when they first started to

contend, and in any other year this corps would be pulling a ton of upsets......

6. Bluecoats...........another corps who has stepped it up. Strong in all captions.........I think the arrangements are good,

but perhaps not quite as musical as some above them. It kind of reminds me of the "Criminal" year,

when they were well prepared and beat everyone, only to have a disappointing finish. Still, a very fine

corps, though.

7. Cavaliers..........my evaluation of them is strange this year. Musically, I think there is far more risk in this program

then they have been doing, and finally some good dynamic impact. That said, there are musical

execution problems. Perhaps scarier is that in one week I hear all of the same stuff that I heard

opening night. If they weren't addressed in order to finish the drill, ok, but it's not showing up in the

score just yet. I think they also have musical continuity issues. Some fine moments, especially the

ending of the one piece where the hornline is laying it out complete with screaming soprano soloists.

They could finish higher IF they nail execution in all captions, but I don't think the programs in front

of them are going to falter.

8. Santa Clara.......they will perform across the board, but not as good as others.......I understand the Bartok, but

I just don't find the musical package as generating much excitement. Visually, the drill is good, and

the possible strength in that caption may move them up, but there are no weak drills in front of them,

either...........

9. Madison Scouts.............great music, a well-coordinated drill, great execution, and over the top effect put Madison

not only back in finals, but comfortably. I think they wrote a show that is perfect for their

entrance back into finals, and did not write anything that they can't play/march. Difficulty will

keep them from challenging, but it is possible they could catch a few if they don't bring their

A games......great to see them back this way.

10. Blue Knights...........really solid arrangements this year, and they will perform well. It's a shame that they have

a MUCH better package, but will still be in the bottom 3rd of finals....just a tough year, but this

show will be enjoyed.....

11. Boston..............it is totally unfair for me to rank this corps at all at this point, as I haven't seen them.....I'm just taking

a guess, and things could be totally different after I see them..........

12. Colts.............they win the battle for finals this year with an accessible book, adequate demand, and a pleasing overall

show.......yes, they had typical June execution problems at Normal, but they have the horses to perform

their program.

13. Academy.........I am taking a guess here, as I haven't seen them.............I think they will be strong musically......

if they sell their program and perform in all captions, finals is not out of the question, and I will know

much more after seeing/hearing them.......not really fair to evaluate them at this pont......

14. Troopers..........early season execution hurts them for part of the season. I think they will make a run, and who knows,

but they simply do not have the accessible book that they had last year. Good impact, and this corps will

work hard, so they can't be counted out.....

15. Glassmen..........drumline and guard will be strong..........horn execution, combined with very fragmented brass

arrangements will do them in..........

16. Spirit.............Arrangements are ok, but not strong enough to move them much.....they could finish as high as

14th or as low as 17th, but I don't think the musical package is strong enough to challenge for finals....

17. Crossmen........it's not really fair for me to judge them, as I haven't seen/heard them yet, and my opinion could

change big-time. Metheny has worked great for the Crossmen in the past. However, they are also

challenging themselves to match the arrangement quality of that past, and I am not certain how they

will fare there. However, no further judgement here until I see/hear the product....I will see them this

week.

18. Pacific Crest..........good overall corps, but just don't have enough to propel them into semis......

19. Jersey Surf...........young corps with some good ideas

20. Teal Sound......ditto

21. Seattle Cascades...........they will make some steady progress and produce an entertaining corps........

22. Mandarins.........competent, but need a stronger musical package to move up..........

23. Pioneer................always good to see them out there

Notes....EIGHTH PLACE could be 94 this year.....ELEVENTH could break 90......it will take an 86 or 87 to get in.....13-17 will not be far off the pace

GB

Sorry this does not fit into the Slotting machine

Scores will level out, some will increase at a higher rate. Scores in June never really tell any true story.

G