BD organization in jeopardy

I have to wonder if the situation is really so dire, but it's unfortunate that BD has to deal with this in the middle of the season. Though perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. As the letter says, bingo is declining, so it may be time to develop a more up-to-date fundraising strategy . . . something they seem to be in the process of doing anyways. Of course, it would be best if BD could do that on its own schedule rather than being confronted with this kind of competition. Most of today's corps survive without bingo, and BD can survive without it too . . . hopefully without losing BDB, BDC, and other parts of the organization. Since BD's bingo operation has been threatened in the past, one hopes they a contingency plan designed to keep things going in this kind of situation.

Good luck to BD fighting this. Getting people associated with the organization to write letters, protest, etc. is a good start, but they really need to get some of the local heavy-hitters in business and politics on their side. For anyone from the Concord area who decides to write the council, do NOT write a long, histrionic diatribe. Keep you message short and respectful, emphasizing what BD has done for you, for the community (forget the "worldwide" stuff, that's irrelevant), and -- most importantly -- that you are a voter and a taxpayer.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to wonder if the situation is really so dire, but it's unfortunate that BD has to deal with this in the middle of the season. Though perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. As the letter says, bingo is declining, so it may be time to develop a more up-to-date fundraising strategy . . . something they seem to be in the process of doing anyways. Of course, it would be best if BD could do that on its own schedule rather than being confronted with this kind of competition. Most of today's corps survive without bingo, and BD can survive without it too . . . hopefully without losing BDB, BDC, and other parts of the organization. Since BD's bingo operation has been threatened in the past, one hopes they a contingency plan designed to keep things going in this kind of situation.

Good luck to BD fighting this. Getting people associated with the organization to write letters, protest, etc. is a good start, but they really need to get some of the local heavy-hitters in business and politics on their side. For anyone from the Concord area who decides to write the council, do NOT write a long, histrionic diatribe. Keep you message short and respectful, emphasizing what BD has done for you, for the community (forget the "worldwide" stuff, that's irrelevant), and -- most importantly -- that you are a voter and a taxpayer.

This is excellent.

It's hard to dig up sympathy for an organization losing money when said organization had no problem with depriving other drum corps of money. Karma.

It's hard to dig up sympathy for an organization losing money when said organization had no problem with depriving other drum corps of money. Karma.

Careful, there we go with more "Group that won't be named" stuff.

The mods aren't happy with that line here.

But thanks, at least I'm no longer the only one (right 2000Cadet?).

:thumbdown:

Edited by garfield

I'm virulently anti-G7, and I agree that there is a touch of irony in this situation. Anyone, pro- or anti-G7, can see that.

At the same time, this a serious threat to the best organization in DCI. It deserves to discussed seriously.

this type of irrational hate is what Crown has to look forward to...they think they've had it bad so far. lol.

Irrational? You reap what you sew. No sympathy for BD or the rest of the greedy G7. All other corps should leave DCI if this goes thru.

I hate to see any corps suffer with finances, but especially when it's your home team. I would be there Tuesday if I could, but I live many states away. BD has helped so many people and is a very large organization. They provide a solid foundation for kids to grow in and yes, become champions. Some of the members of BD do this every summer because it keeps them off the street and out of trouble while teaching them respect, discipline and making them fine musicians in the process. It teaches all of them to live up to their fullest potential in whatever they do. This is not about Dave Gibbs. This is about the organization and what it means to a lot of people. Drum corps would not be the same without the Blue Devils. BD has always stepped up and helped other corps when they need it...now they need us to do the same.

I believe in what BD stands for and the example that they set. I am proud to be an alumni and will always be there to support them. Best of luck Devils. See you on the field!

I'm virulently anti-G7, and I agree that there is a touch of irony in this situation. Anyone, pro- or anti-G7, can see that.

At the same time, this a serious threat to the best organization in DCI. It deserves to discussed seriously.

Careful...they're gonna get mad at you.

Here's a synopsis of how this thread will go without discussion of the "magic words":

poster1: "I would have been on their side but am no longer inclined to help."

poster2: "Why not?"

poster1: "Ummm...I'm not allowed to say."

Careful, there we go with more "Group that won't be named" stuff.

The mods aren't happy with that line here.

But thanks, at least I'm no longer the only one (right 2000Cadet?).

Hell, why doesn't the activity just fold already so you can be happy? :whistle:

I have the solution:

BD organization on jeopardy.

And the Final Jeopardy category is.....

SPELLING.