Minneapolis Corps Directors Meeting

The G7 are right about one thing...there is not enough financial growth to pay corps directors and staff full time salaries for a non-profit, youth activity. Those guys have done this to themselves. I'm sitting here watching 1991 finals. There is at least 40,000 people in the stands. Most corps getting a standing ovation before the end of their show. I'm liking those guys being gone more and more....

I have a friend making 6 figures in a non profit. Non profits are the hardest business to be in . Anyone taking on such a task deserves what they can get for a salary. Ive said it in another post, to keep a non profit going takes alot of work and talent and directors should be compensated for it. Its not the 60s where a dad took on the job.

With all that said....lol... sorry I would be surprised if any of the 7 go. I said almost from the beginning. This all may have been a plan to ask for alot, stir the pot and then come back and GET what they wanted all along.... this could be woodwinds... it could be more control..it could be more money who knows but I think there was a plan B in the works all along.....just my opinion :thumbdown:

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend making 6 figures in a non profit. Non profits are the hardest business to be in . Anyone taking on such a task deserves what they can get for a salary. Ive said it in another post, to keep a non profit going takes alot of work and talent and directors should be compensated for it. Its not the 60s where a dad took on the job.

With all that said....lol... sorry I would be surprised if any of the 7 go. I said almost from the beginning. This all may have been a plan to ask for alot, stir the pot and then come back and GET what they wanted all along.... this could be woodwinds... it could be more control..it could be more money who knows but I think there was a plan B in the works all along.....just my opinion :thumbdown:

Plan B got snatched right out from under them when the conference call changed the membership of the BoD.

Why not just change the rule that prohibits two or more corps performing outside of a DCI event? I mean if ANY 2 or 3 corps want to get together and come up with another show concept, let them. Or if it's that big of deal, limit the number of non-DCI events. Or maybe not the last three weeks of the season.

Why does this have to a G7 or even a world class thing? Why can't this work for everyone? What if Spirit, Music City and Teal wanted to put together an event for 5 performances over the summer?

Edited by DAvery

Why not just change the rule that prohibits two or more corps performing outside of a DCI event? I mean if ANY 2 or 3 corps want to get together and come up with another show concept, let them. Or if it's that big of deal, limit the number of non-DCI events. Or maybe not the last three weeks of the season.

Asked this before and don't think I received an answer. What is the definition of a "show" in this regard. Is it a judged competition, a field exhibition or even just a standstill concert?

Why does this have to a G7 or even a world class thing? Why can't this work for everyone? What if Spirit, Music City and Teal wanted to put together an event for 5 performances over the summer?

Ten yard penalty for illegal use of common sense. :thumbdown:

If some of the DCI member corps, whoever they are, want to work together to host events, fundraisers, whatever you want to call them, to benefit the corps, they should be free to do it. At its core, that's what the Super Show idea is about - the 7 leveraging their popularity to host some events in which they'd be the beneficiaries at the end of the night.

The rest of the proposal was pretty bone-headed, but that part seemed fair enough to me, given the disparity between what the top corps are paid vs their collective drawing power. Modify the restrictions on what the member corps can choose to do together outside DCI, and you open up creative possibilities for everyone.

Edited by mobrien

Ten yard penalty for illegal use of common sense. :thumbdown:

If some of the DCI member corps, whoever they are, want to work together to host events, fundraisers, whatever you want to call them, to benefit the corps, they should be free to do it. At its core, that's what the Super Show idea is about - the 7 leveraging their popularity to host some events in which they'd be the beneficiaries at the end of the night.

The rest of the proposal was pretty bone-headed, but that part seemed fair enough to me, given the disparity between what the top corps are paid vs their collective drawing power. Modify the restrictions on what the member corps can choose to do together outside DCI, and you open up creative possibilities for everyone.

There are two disparities in the area of money going to the corps that need to be considered:

• the disparity between what the G7 corps are worth (or at least what think they are worth) and what they currently receive.
  • the disparity between what the G7 corps currently receive and amounts that the rest of the corps currently receive.

The G7 corps already receive a significantly higher amount of money than the non-G7 corps do.

The way I read the G7 proposal (as currently written), it assumes a zero sum game - the only way to get more money to the G7 corps is to take it away from the other corps. This is done by holding G7 events as a parallel tour to the DCI tour. On a given Sunday night, there isn't a DCI show scheduled because the G7 show is in town. And thus, the rest of the corps are sitting idle not making money so that the G7 can make more money.

In contrast, I read the DCI plan trying to focus on growth: of events, of participants, of attendance. (Can this be done? Good question for a separate thread, perhaps.) If the DCI plan is successful, then there will be a bigger pie - more money will be available to flow to all of the corps.

This is one of those key "philosophical differences". Either the G7 does not believe that the DCI plan will work or they don't want to wait for it to work or they don't care about the non-G7 corps. I don't see too many other possible explanations for their actions.

There are two disparities in the area of money going to the corps that need to be considered:

• the disparity between what the G7 corps are worth (or at least what think they are worth) and what they currently receive.
  • the disparity between what the G7 corps currently receive and amounts that the rest of the corps currently receive.

The G7 corps already receive a significantly higher amount of money than the non-G7 corps do.

The way I read the G7 proposal (as currently written), it assumes a zero sum game - the only way to get more money to the G7 corps is to take it away from the other corps. This is done by holding G7 events as a parallel tour to the DCI tour. On a given Sunday night, there isn't a DCI show scheduled because the G7 show is in town. And thus, the rest of the corps are sitting idle not making money so that the G7 can make more money.

In contrast, I read the DCI plan trying to focus on growth: of events, of participants, of attendance. (Can this be done? Good question for a separate thread, perhaps.) If the DCI plan is successful, then there will be a bigger pie - more money will be available to flow to all of the corps.

This is one of those key "philosophical differences". Either the G7 does not believe that the DCI plan will work or they don't want to wait for it to work or they don't care about the non-G7 corps. I don't see too many other possible explanations for their actions.

Agree. The most fundamental fatal flaw in the G-7 plan, imo. was that they never even attempted to make a compelling case as to how their plan would benefit the other Corps either in the short term or in the long term. I'll concede that they had enough intelligence to anticipate that their plan once made public to the other Corps would meet with stiff resistance, if not outright rejection. The entire tone of the proposal is made with an agressive, extortion like posture. They knew they were firing the first round of artillary fire on their colleague Corps in DCI. Even a casual read of the wording and it's clear they were attempting to intimidate the others into submission, hoping the others would believe their Corps fortunes are hitched to the G-7 wagon for better or worse, and would perhaps capitulate when confronted with overwhelming brute force. The arrogance here that that they portrayed is breathtaking in it's sheer indifference.. even outright hostility.... to their fellow colleague Corps. They have a patronizing attitude toward the others that surely is not in keeping with the collegiality once present among all the Corps despite the competitive nature of the enterprise. Their egos appear to be on steroids... and it's a disgusting sight to behold, imo. " "Philosophical differences" with what DCI was supposed to represent, indeed.

Edited by BRASSO

Asked this before and don't think I received an answer. What is the definition of a "show" in this regard. Is it a judged competition, a field exhibition or even just a standstill concert?

Exactly. With the existing rules why is a parade with more than two corps OK, but another "event" with more than two corps is not? If a corps wants to devote time to combined corps events outside of DCI, let them. They may make more money, but my guess it will show competitively. If this was possible twenty years ago, we may still have Star around. What if they could have done Brass Theater and DCI? Then again maybe this would only postpone the departure of some corps. If a corps does 4 non-DCI events next year and they make more money, but drop in placement - they may have to decide what is more important. The staff might get paid more and member fees might decrease and that may be an acceptable trade-off for a lower placement. But regardless, that should be their decision to make.

The G7 are right about one thing...there is not enough financial growth to pay corps directors and staff full time salaries for a non-profit, youth activity. Those guys have done this to themselves. I'm sitting here watching 1991 finals. There is at least 40,000 people in the stands. Most corps getting a standing ovation before the end of their show. I'm liking those guys being gone more and more....

not quite, but if it helps you feel better assume 40k. i'd say it's half of that

I have, admittedly, selected a few choice quotes:

Me thinks you (and a few others) are yet unable to step far enough back in order to see the bigger picture contained in the G7 proposal.

Your "fans" are the tiny group of existing DC fans --the 1800, that show up at places like Allentown,

I'm interested --as I believe the G7 leadership is-- in cultivating a NEW wider audience that will number in the hundreds of thousands --just as Cirque du Soleil did.

Therefore, competitive SCORES will not be all that important. Will they use some sort of scoring system? Maybe! Perhaps they will let the crowd use their cellphones to vote. Who knows? It doesn't matter now and it will matter less then. ONCE AGAIN, TRY TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

Let's back it up here. Wasn't that magical show in Allentown, the one that drew 1800, SUPPOSED to be a prototype of this new Cirque du Drum Corps show that was supposed to draw in the hundreds of thousands???

I may be crazy, but I think the upcoming "actual drum corps show" in Allentown will draw a few more than 1800.

Hint: I'm not crazy.

Edited by Tank