The Kansas City MO-chacino House

I feel like this penalty issue with the Blue Knights is pretty harsh. I was at the show and besides the extra INT added it didn't seem like it took way too long to get the action going again.

I understand that rules are rules, but come on taking that many points off their score seems a little ridiculous to me considering the reasons why they were late.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this penalty issue with the Blue Knights is pretty harsh. I was at the show and besides the extra INT added it didn't seem like it took way too long to get the action going again.

I understand that rules are rules, but come on taking that many points off their score seems a little ridiculous to me considering the reasons why they were late.

It's just one show. Everything will be fine Wednesday in Broken Arrow.

Anaheim Kingsmen got a HUGE late penalty at US Open prelims in 1973. They took ninth in prelims, then won finals.

Saturday August 11, 1973

Marion OH U.S. Open - Prelims

Position Corps Score

1 Belleville Black Knights 79.400

2 Kilties 79.050

3 DeLaSalle Oaklands 74.250

4 Purple Lancers 74.100

5 Argonne Rebels 73.250

6 Polish Falcons 72.650

7 Des Plaines Vanguard 70.500

8 Phantom Regiment 70.100

9 Anaheim Kingsmen 70.000*

10 Blue Rock 69.550

10 Royal Crusaders 69.550

12 Toronto Optimists 68.300

* 83.30-13.30 (penalty)=70.00

Sunday August 12, 1973

Marion OH U.S. Open Finals

Position Corps Score

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 80.300

2 De La Salle 78.250

3 Black Knights 75.850

4 Kilties 74.150

5 Purple Lancers 73.550

6 Polish Falcons 69.750

7 Argonne Rebels 69.150

8 Des Plaines Vanguard 68.750

9 Royal Crusaders 67.300

10 Blue Rock 66.050

11 Toronto Optimists 65.700

12 Phantom Regiment 65.400

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I wasn't saying that in view that their success and failure this season is based on this penalty just that I thought the issuing of an 8+ penalty because your truck broke down or whatever happened is a little ridiculous.

It's just one show. Everything will be fine Wednesday in Broken Arrow.

Anaheim Kingsmen got a HUGE late penalty at US Open prelims in 1973. They took ninth in prelims, then won finals.

Saturday August 11, 1973

Marion OH U.S. Open - Prelims

Position Corps Score

1 Belleville Black Knights 79.400

2 Kilties 79.050

3 DeLaSalle Oaklands 74.250

4 Purple Lancers 74.100

5 Argonne Rebels 73.250

6 Polish Falcons 72.650

7 Des Plaines Vanguard 70.500

8 Phantom Regiment 70.100

9 Anaheim Kingsmen 70.000*

10 Blue Rock 69.550

10 Royal Crusaders 69.550

12 Toronto Optimists 68.300

* 83.30-13.30 (penalty)=70.00

Sunday August 12, 1973

Marion OH U.S. Open Finals

Position Corps Score

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 80.300

2 De La Salle 78.250

3 Black Knights 75.850

4 Kilties 74.150

5 Purple Lancers 73.550

6 Polish Falcons 69.750

7 Argonne Rebels 69.150

8 Des Plaines Vanguard 68.750

9 Royal Crusaders 67.300

10 Blue Rock 66.050

11 Toronto Optimists 65.700

12 Phantom Regiment 65.400

Garry in Vegas

I add that the score for Finals were on Sunday because the Saturday Finals were rained out! Blue Rock was the last corps to perform on Saturday night. Blue Rock took the field in decent weather, but after the corps' opener thunder, lightning and rain began to challenge the corps for supremacy on the field. Blue Rock defied the elements, continued to perform, wowed the crowd, and finished the best show of our 1973 season in a driving thunderstorm! However, since the storm drove the judges from the field and the stands, we did not get a score for our performance that night.

The next day, the corps uniform were all soaking wet. Blue Rock competed in t-shirts during the Sunday afternoon U S Open finals!

I wasn't saying that in view that their success and failure this season is based on this penalty just that I thought the issuing of an 8+ penalty because your truck broke down or whatever happened is a little ridiculous.

I don't know why people are making such a big deal about a penalty at a show, that for intents and purposes is meaningless. It would only matter if it happened at semis and knocked them out of finals.

I add that the score for Finals were on Sunday because the Saturday Finals were rained out! Blue Rock was the last corps to perform on Saturday night. Blue Rock took the field in decent weather, but after the corps' opener thunder, lightning and rain began to challenge the corps for supremacy on the field. Blue Rock defied the elements, continued to perform, wowed the crowd, and finished the best show of our 1973 season in a driving thunderstorm! However, since the storm drove the judges from the field and the stands, we did not get a score for our performance that night.

The next day, the corps uniform were all soaking wet. Blue Rock competed in t-shirts during the Sunday afternoon U S Open finals!

Classic drum corps story! Thanks.

Rules are rules are rules. It doesn't matter, and complaining about it is just silly.

Man, I am so silly for trying to question the almighty rulings of the just and fair organization known as DCI.

WOW, Phantom went head to head with BD last night in Kansas City and their percussion took first. Awesome job PR. Now is anyone NOT surprised that BD was overheard cussing afterwords because THEY didn't win. Yes this is the type of attitude that leads to people NOT liking BD and rooting for anyone else.

Any other thoughts out there?