DCI Warrenton, VA Show

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope! I am only a writer with a computer and Wifi connection. I wish someone was here to take pics. Maybe some will later.

That was pretty interesting... any ideas as to the size of the audience? What did they like in the show? that sort of stuff? Was there a full retreat? What implications do you see for the Open Class stretch drive?

That was pretty interesting... any ideas as to the size of the audience? What did they like in the show? that sort of stuff? Was there a full retreat? What implications do you see for the Open Class stretch drive?

Hi Ray! Long time no see. Very interesting questions. Unfortunately I have no qualified answers. This is the first Open Class show I have attended in several years and it is unusual for this type of venue this far south. I use to attend and report on Open Class Championship at DCI for DCW so I use to have a lot of exposure to these corps. But that was a few years ago and I have not seen any others but these six corps. I do see the Internet and I have access to the Fan Network but that is woefully inadequate to make any real judgements. Spartans are fresh back on the field and seem to be doing a terrific job, BD B is looking good as a possible repeat. But these are opinions without basis of seeing any of their performances in person. And more specifically in the Open Class it can be any given competition that magic might happen and a corps simply makes it all happen for that one special night. We all live and love this activity just to see if that may just happen.

I can answer these questions, it was not as large of a crowd that the show sponsored hoped for, the heat was unreal :tongue: so I am sure it kept some away. The show was moved from one high school to another because the other high school received a private donation to update their field so it became unavailable. The show materialized almost out of thin air because it was offered to the NOVA DCI Group in April in order to get a show close by for those few corps that will be a part of the Boy Scouts celebration parade, remember the other World Class was in San Antonio, TX for that big show. the rumor is that the Boy Scouts had anticipated the Atlanta regional for this weekend so those World Class corps that are Boy Scout sponsored would be able to hoof it up here for the parade. But alas it was San Antonio so it was impossible for corps like Madison and them to make here in time. One good note is that Jersey Surf are performing a show that will fit nicely into the celebration. I digress, the audience may have been a little over 1,000 possibly, it was hard to say as they were stretch out a bit so as not to offend anyone in the heat (small joke here :tongue: ).

What audience was here was highly respectful to all the corps and had geniune interest in all of the performances. Their reaction was amped up appropriately when the right things happened, so it was more than polite.

Drum Major only retreat, Surf brass did an encore as I mentioned before announcement of the scores.

By the way, if you ever get to a show with the Jersey Suf in attendance, check out their souviner table and look up Bill Ives, because he is worth the price of admission. He is hysterical and tells such great stories. He hawks the Surf merchandise and is a master salesman. As I said, worth the price of admission. :tongue:

Hi Ray! Long time no see. Very interesting questions. Unfortunately I have no qualified answers. This is the first Open Class show I have attended in several years and it is unusual for this type of venue this far south. I use to attend and report on Open Class Championship at DCI for DCW so I use to have a lot of exposure to these corps. But that was a few years ago and I have not seen any others but these six corps. I do see the Internet and I have access to the Fan Network but that is woefully inadequate to make any real judgements. Spartans are fresh back on the field and seem to be doing a terrific job, BD B is looking good as a possible repeat. But these are opinions without basis of seeing any of their performances in person. And more specifically in the Open Class it can be any given competition that magic might happen and a corps simply makes it all happen for that one special night. We all live and love this activity just to see if that may just happen.

I can answer these questions, it was not as large of a crowd that the show sponsored hoped for, the heat was unreal :tongue: so I am sure it kept some away. The show was moved from one high school to another because the other high school received a private donation to update their field so it became unavailable. The show materialized almost out of thin air because it was offered to the NOVA DCI Group in April in order to get a show close by for those few corps that will be a part of the Boy Scouts celebration parade, remember the other World Class was in San Antonio, TX for that big show. the rumor is that the Boy Scouts had anticipated the Atlanta regional for this weekend so those World Class corps that are Boy Scout sponsored would be able to hoof it up here for the parade. But alas it was San Antonio so it was impossible for corps like Madison and them to make here in time. One good note is that Jersey Surf are performing a show that will fit nicely into the celebration. I digress, the audience may have been a little over 1,000 possibly, it was hard to say as they were stretch out a bit so as not to offend anyone in the heat (small joke here :tongue: ).

What audience was here was highly respectful to all the corps and had geniune interest in all of the performances. Their reaction was amped up appropriately when the right things happened, so it was more than polite.

Drum Major only retreat, Surf brass did an encore as I mentioned before announcement of the scores.

By the way, if you ever get to a show with the Jersey Suf in attendance, check out their souviner table and look up Bill Ives, because he is worth the price of admission. He is hysterical and tells such great stories. He hawks the Surf merchandise and is a master salesman. As I said, worth the price of admission. :tongue:

You know it never occurred to me that Bill was working with Surf but now that you mention it I think I sort of knew that Terry's son, or daughter, or both had caught on to the activity (they were like babies when I was in Pennsylvania). Thanks for the report - I don't get to many shows and forget a trip to Virginia - I couldn't even get out of work ON MY DAY OFF the day of the Lawrence MA show. 15 hour day (on salary - so for nothing). If you didn't write reports I'd never know anything. Thank you sir.

The corps which marched in the Boy Scout parade just got some nice face time in a feature story on tonight's 10 o'clock News on Fox 5 here in DC. The story focused on how hot everyone must have been marching in this weather wearing those uniforms.

The corps which marched in the Boy Scout parade just got some nice face time in a feature story on tonight's 10 o'clock News on Fox 5 here in DC. The story focused on how hot everyone must have been marching in this weather wearing those uniforms.

Yeah..the heat on Sunday was almost unbearable. We wore ballcaps and not uniform-style hats because of the heat, but I saw other corps wearing their full uniforms plus shakos.

Great review! I was at the show too, but I only heard the performances as I was working at the Shenandoah Sound booth. The people running the show were great!