Tonight I felt like an old timer!

I Remember "back in the day" seeing people openly weeping <---NOT EXAGGERATED.

When I read that I got a jolt...during the push in Tenderland at '84 Finals I somehow made eye contact with a middle aged gentleman a couple rows back from the front railing...he was standing along with a bunch of others. Anyway, clearly he was being moved by what he was hearing, then he & I made eye contact for several seconds at the point where the company front went from moving diagonally to forward. He then gasped and just went to pieces at that moment, holding his head in his hands and sobbing uncontrollably.

While not completely non-existent (PR 08, SCV 04), I wish there were more "audience connection moments" factored into programming.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally bored to death last night with all of the top 8 corps performances, and non more than with Blue Devils. What a scam DCI is perpetrating on the fans who pay to see this "art." Wow, just think about the millions that these corps spend to put this mumbo-jumbo on the field. The "kids" in DCI should save their hard-earned money, or their parent's hard-earned money and put their respective talents to use in a less costly, less self-serving activity. Boo to DCI...I will no longer support this organization in its present form :tongue:

walking away is the best means at anybody's disposal of trying to affect change. if enough do it and the doomsday scenario you predicted in your last sentence happens, then things might change.

it's something you and others keep threatening but never do. if you and people who just hate all of the "problems" you percive keep going, you're contributing to the "problems".

freelancer has the right idea about simply walking away and not contributing anymore to that which he doesn't like.

I realize that attacking me for saying this is what will happen, and I bear no hard feelings to anybody about it.

But people always contribute to what they don't like. That is how it got this way.

There is little respect or maturity showed towards anybody in the OP. he has a right to his opinion, of course. I find it baffling. If anybody went into the historical forum and started ####### all over those shows, it would be interesting to see the reactions of the #### talkers who come into this thread and spew their hate. Respect is a two-way street.

People keep saying everybody is entitled to their own opinions. This is mine.

some of my favorite responses that this has generated:

Classy and respectful....hmmmmm...two-way street, I think.

Respect is reciprocated in most threads on here that aren't devoted to ####### all over what goes on today.

Saying "I appreciate you, but what you choose to do is garbage" is not respectful.

Actually that is TOTALLY respectful. Let me guess, you would let a friend of yours walk around with a booger hanging without telling them to do something about it? It reminds me of watching all the cooking shows on TV today, people go to the very best cooking schools, do the very best techniques, but can't cook anything with a #### because their taste buds just are horrible. They think they are the best, and might have a few other people that stroke their ego and keep telling them they are the best (hurting them)..til the majority show up and spit the food out. You see this on American Idol a LOT!

Edited by Mello Dude

Not exactly, but it comes across as if they are irked that we still love something that they never had a chance to experience.

And it's not just in the drum corps world. I remember being young and thinking ( along with most of my musical friends) that MF and Buddy Rich and the like were "it" and because of limited exposure to the Dorsey Brothers, Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman, we just couldn't understand why older musicians were not 100% in love with the big bands of the 70's.

I guess it's that way with everything...................and the generations stare at each other across a Great Divide

Finally, I understand Cavies show :tongue:

It's ironic that you would ever type the first paragraph, if you truly experienced what you wrote in the second paragraph. You're so close to the truth of it, though you haven't quite found the mark.

The truth is that we fans of the current state activity love something, and can't understand why older fans don't. This much is true. If we sound irked, though, it's not just because you don't like what we like. It's also because we are told constantly that we are wrong to like what we like. We can't even visit a message board dedicated to the activity we love without being told by fuddies like you that we're only happy because we don't know any better. Sorry, that's just not true.

I have more audio and video at my disposal than the average fan has ever had before. I've seen the shows from the 70's and 80's. I appreciate what they did to get us to this point, but I don't really care for them. Those shows don't connect with me the way the shows of the past 15 years have. Oh I know, recordings will never do justice to the experience of a live show. I know that. It's why I don't make my girlfriend listen or watch drum corps recordings, but she'll be going with me to Finals in two weeks. But - and this is leaving aside the point that our OP felt video was sufficient for him to draw his own conclusions - let's compare apples with apples.

This week I bought the APD of the Bluecoats' performance at Houston. That first day I played it nine times at work. That's nearly two hours of an eight hour work day, spent listening to one show. I love it. I'm fascinated by it. I pound it out on my desk at work, pissing off my co-workers, I'm sure. If this is where drum corps is headed, I can't wait to meet it there. This isn't a live show, this is just an audio recording. I want to get on DCP to talk with others who feel the same way about this show, who are as ga ga ga ga ga over it as I am. Instead, I have to put up with malcontents who - incomprehensibly to me - allege that what is happening on the field today doesn't entertain. I'm at a loss. I just don't get it.

You can claim that I am only entertained because I don't know any better. You'd be wrong. You can claim that shows today don't connect. Unless I'm completely alone in my experiences, you'd again be wrong. You can claim that shows today don't measure up with the past. I can't say you're wrong there, because it's an opinion, after all. So long as you speak for yourself, your opinion can never be wrong. But here's the thing about the past: since it only exists anymore in your head, the past can be whatever you want it to be. Some will hold on to the past as perfect ideal, remembering the best parts and wishing that we could get back there again. Me, I prefer to think of the past as a series of steps that brought to where we are today. For that, I am thankful, but it also means that I always believe the best is yet to come. Maybe that's a choice I've made, but it seems to me a better way to live than choosing to be resentful.

I am not irked that I didn't get to experience the shows you did. I am irked because those same experiences are still possible with today's shows, yet too many on DCP will try to deny that my experience could ever measure up to theirs. How selfish.

Actually that is TOTALLY respectful. Let me guess, you would let a friend of yours walk around with a booger hanging without telling them to do something about it?

that's your analogy to today's shows, and you don't find it at all disrespectful?

i mean, it made me laugh I'm not going to lie, but respectful, really?

:tongue:

It's ironic that you would ever type the first paragraph, if you truly experienced what you wrote in the second paragraph. You're so close to the truth of it, though you haven't quite found the mark.

The truth is that we fans of the current state activity love something, and can't understand why older fans don't. This much is true. If we sound irked, though, it's not just because you don't like what we like. It's also because we are told constantly that we are wrong to like what we like. We can't even visit a message board dedicated to the activity we love without being told by fuddies like you that we're only happy because we don't know any better. Sorry, that's just not true.

I have more audio and video at my disposal than the average fan has ever had before. I've seen the shows from the 70's and 80's. I appreciate what they did to get us to this point, but I don't really care for them. Those shows don't connect with me the way the shows of the past 15 years have. Oh I know, recordings will never do justice to the experience of a live show. I know that. It's why I don't make my girlfriend listen or watch drum corps recordings, but she'll be going with me to Finals in two weeks. But - and this is leaving aside the point that our OP felt video was sufficient for him to draw his own conclusions - let's compare apples with apples.

This week I bought the APD of the Bluecoats' performance at Houston. That first day I played it nine times at work. That's nearly two hours of an eight hour work day, spent listening to one show. I love it. I'm fascinated by it. I pound it out on my desk at work, pissing off my co-workers, I'm sure. If this is where drum corps is headed, I can't wait to meet it there. This isn't a live show, this is just an audio recording. I want to get on DCP to talk with others who feel the same way about this show, who are as ga ga ga ga ga over it as I am. Instead, I have to put up with malcontents who - incomprehensibly to me - allege that what is happening on the field today doesn't entertain. I'm at a loss. I just don't get it.

You can claim that I am only entertained because I don't know any better. You'd be wrong. You can claim that shows today don't connect. Unless I'm completely alone in my experiences, you'd again be wrong. You can claim that shows today don't measure up with the past. I can't say you're wrong there, because it's an opinion, after all. So long as you speak for yourself, your opinion can never be wrong. But here's the thing about the past: since it only exists anymore in your head, the past can be whatever you want it to be. Some will hold on to the past as perfect ideal, remembering the best parts and wishing that we could get back there again. Me, I prefer to think of the past as a series of steps that brought to where we are today. For that, I am thankful, but it also means that I always believe the best is yet to come. Maybe that's a choice I've made, but it seems to me a better way to live than choosing to be resentful.

I am not irked that I didn't get to experience the shows you did. I am irked because those same experiences are still possible with today's shows, yet too many on DCP will try to deny that my experience could ever measure up to theirs. How selfish.

Well, good post. The only real answer to you is that there were also people that thought #### Christ was a work of art as well. To each their own. This is far from being selfish.

that's your analogy to today's shows, and you don't find it at all disrespectful?

i mean, it made me laugh I'm not going to lie, but respectful, really?

:tongue:

Yes! Letting someone continue down a road of "thunderous goo" etc and think it's GOOD is not doing ANYONE a service. Not completing a musical phrase or thought because we need to be running around at 240 bps for demand to be competitive is not doing ANYONE a service. Do we not complain about the finale of 2009 in the Oil can? I mean according to you no one should. 2008 for that matter as well.

Yes! Letting someone continue down a road of "thunderous goo" etc and think it's GOOD is not doing ANYONE a service. Not completing a musical phrase or thought because we need to be running around at 240 bps for demand to be competitive is not doing ANYONE a service. Do we not complain about the finale of 2009 in the Oil can? I mean according to you no one should. 2008 for that matter as well.

I complain about that which I do not like all the time on here, and even discuss it with people who do the same.

There's a difference between that and "everything i see and hear is ####" attitudes.

I can honestly say that I'm probably about a year or two away from not paying for this stuff anymore, too.