How would you rate the judging this year?

Rate the judging  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Overall how do you feel about judging this year?

• Excellent - Almost always right
    • Good - Mostly right on
    • Average - Hit or miss
    • Fair - Lacking in consistency
    • Poor - Showing favoritism or incompetence
    • Other

I agree that the spread is ridiculously close. I wonder if there is some manipulation by the powers that be to "make it exciting".

so that would be accomplished by dictating a list of scores to each judge in advance and they are nothing more than secretaries who can make really good tapes for the staff?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't agree with BD being so much further ahead than everyone else (though I know they deserve it)

You and I agree on most things, but not this. If they deserve it, why don"t you agree with it?

so that would be accomplished by dictating a list of scores to each judge in advance and they are nothing more than secretaries who can make really good tapes for the staff?

Dictating no, but influencing certainly. Making really good tapes for th staff has little to do with the final score when most corps are already slotted.

If you look at the rankings, I don't think there is any corps that you could reasonably move more than 2 spots up or down.

In other words, I think the judges generally get the placements about right with an error of +/-2.

The big issue this year, as every year, is demand. It seems like there should be an objective measure of demand, but there never is. And it always seems that judges are willing to reward a show that seems easy as long as it is well-executed. I think judges are maybe too willing to accept the argument that a good performing corps can make the difficult look easy. Most of what I perceive as judging inaccuracy is related to how they reward (or fail to reward) the difficulty and complexity of what different corps are doing.

Performance? I think the judges generally get it just about right, or at least within 1 placement.

Effect is subjective and pointless to argue about. It should not be 40% of the total score.

I agree totally. After seeing a few Corps get hammered with a show with visual demand, but maybe a ittle dirt... over a Corps visual that is simpler in demand, but maybe ( maybe ) better executed.... it would seem to me that it would be prudent for Corps to rethink this demand, and dumb down their visuals for the judges next year. One has to be practical and pragmatic here in what the judges are rewarding, not what you THINK they should be rewarding.

Edited by BRASSO

oh boy, another thinly veiled BD-bashing thread....lemme guess, all those that voted judging was poor are really saying how they feel about BD and their show and how it is scored:BARF...(Thanks ATLvet, too hilarious to not steal !!)

G

There is a difference ( I believe ) between whether fans believe BD should be getting 1st place scores and whether or not those fans like the show. Some might believe ( for example) that BD is the best Corps out there this year, but also think their show, from an entertainment enjoyment perspective, is less than fulfilling for them for one reason or another.

Spirit got screwed.

There is a difference ( I believe ) between whether fans believe BD should be getting 1st place scores and whether or not those fans like the show. Some might believe ( for example) that BD is the best Corps out there this year, but also think their show, from an entertainment enjoyment perspective, is less than fulfilling for them for one reason or another.

yes. And, I wonder how many that dont care for the BD show are equating its scores to bad judging ??

G

oh boy, another thinly veiled BD-bashing thread....lemme guess, all those that voted judging was poor are really saying how they feel about BD and their show and how it is scored:BARF...(Thanks ATLvet, too hilarious to not steal !!)

G

No one mentioned BD, you were the first. I know you're a huge fan, but please, don't try and say that every thread is bashing BD.

There are tons of consistency problems this year. At Atlanta, Blue Stars had GE scores that put them in 5th and 8th, Cavaliers had GE vis. scores that were 2nd and 5th. I don't really see how the two judges can be that far apart on it. And when you see corps where one caption is way higher than their placement, or much lower than their placement. Phantom had a 3rd place percussion score, but were in 6th. Santa Clara had a 10th place percussion and placed 7th. Shouldn't most of the caption scores line up with your placement? The farther you go down the rankings, the more spreads between corps placement and caption placement.