DCI Best Color Guard Awards....

Best colorguard is a highly coveted award, and to win it is a prestegious honor. Any corps' auxiliary unit that is named best colorguard should feel proud and know they did a great job and earned it.

~G~

I agree G, it was, is, and always will be IMO.

In fact, I remember once when we did win "high guard" at some show we all looked at it like it was the consolation prize ... Miss Congeniality or something.  I don't think it meant much back then ... or maybe just not to us. 

PS:  Hey Maggie!!!

I agree JoJo (Hey Girl!!). Not to demean the winning of High Guard because we all know that it takes alot of hard work to achieve that honor. But, I think that to SCV we were always in the state of mind that as Horns, Drums and Colorguard we were one. As SCV, we won as one or lost as one. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking back with a different point of view now.

i think ive gotten similar vibes from them. Youll see other corps, not necessarily brag, but promote the fact that they have won certain captions (ie, BD with brass and guard, Cadets with percussion)....but you never really see anything like that from SCV. They dont make "percussion world champion" shirts, or have "high brass 2001" embroidered on their jackets.

I've never noticed that, but I'm not a big t-shirt wearer....we didn't sell them for guard, can't speak about horns and drums.... :P unfortunately! :(

Edited by LancerFi

:P

Thanks the :P (I just remembered something...83-85 I believe our drum line may have been 2nd one of those years. 2nd to BD. They went on in day light at finals which was a rare occurance prior to those years, and scored a 19.7 or 19.8.)

I did want to say one more thing. I was truly surprised when I began on SM and then here, to see that we were still on many, many lists...I'm humbled and happy at the same time for being remembered as one of or the best on some peoples lists.

It still still tickles me!

Edited by LancerFi

In fact, I remember once when we did win "high guard" at some show we all looked at it like it was the consolation prize ... Miss Congeniality or something.  I don't think it meant much back then ... or maybe just not to us. 

PS:  Hey Maggie!!!

I agree JoJo (Hey Girl!!). Not to demean the winning of High Guard because we all know that it takes alot of hard work to achieve that honor. But, I think that to SCV we were always in the state of mind that as Horns, Drums and Colorguard we were one. As SCV, we won as one or lost as one. I don't know, maybe I'm just looking back with a different point of view now.

i think ive gotten similar vibes from them. Youll see other corps, not necessarily brag, but promote the fact that they have won certain captions (ie, BD with brass and guard, Cadets with percussion)....but you never really see anything like that from SCV. They dont make "percussion world champion" shirts, or have "high brass 2001" embroidered on their jackets.

I got goosebumps when I read that last one. Total Deja Vu. Wish I aged out.

P.S. Hi JoJo, Maggie, and Trish!

GMichael, are you certain about 1982? I recall April G's letter to the editor of DCW stating there WAS no Aux award in '82.

With so much bad line in Cavies' flag work last August, a perfect score tarnishes the award to a certain degree. I completely comprehend ranking and rating, but jeez.. they weren't THAT far ahead of BD.

I have to say I'm happy we're back on topic. I didn't think the topic was

t-shirts. :huh:

Different stokes for different folks. I have no problem with BD or any one else capitalizing on what they've won many, many times.

If we want to talk t-shirts we should also talk about the $$ it raises for the "kids" so that tour fees are lower....

Edited by LancerFi

Hey LancerFi...question for ya...and any other guard members whose group won "High Guard"...

Are there extra medals for that award? Extra trophy? Are the members acknowledged at the corps banquet?

Yes, I believe it was a trophy in 79 & 80 but my memory is very bad. I have many pictures at retreat with Gerard and I in front of the corp and and guard saluting the corps' as they went by, and the trophy is either right next to me or in front of the guard. I'll have to look again at those pictures!

At the banquet they gave us each a medal on a ribbon, not unlike the ones we received for finals. It was a very nice touch. And yes it was announced. George B. and company were always very proud and liked to say you done good! :huh:

I don't remember what they did the earlier years, I want to say 75, 76 or 77. I know it was mentioned at the banquet and someone made a beautiful cake along with clothes pins for each of us in our uniforms. The little busby and red jacket was very cute. I still have mine from that earlier year!