DCI Best Color Guard Awards....

well, crap. i just dirtied my hands in the dusty confines of my age-old DCW's. I could have SWORN April Gilligan wrote a LTTE regarding NO best guard award in '82... but if the proof exists (dig out the yearbook to appease lil ol' me), maybe it was she who was wrong. Or maybe I'm cracking up. :ouch:

well, crap. i just dirtied my hands in the dusty confines of my age-old DCW's. I could have SWORN April Gilligan wrote a LTTE regarding NO best guard award in '82... but if the proof exists (dig out the yearbook to appease lil ol' me), maybe it was she who was wrong. Or maybe I'm cracking up.  :ouch:

I realize you want proof, but I have to tell you, Geoff is very, very, very much into guard and was there and keeps a running list.

Maybe April wrote a letter a different year? Or maybe her gripe was for a different reason?

Is that the reason you don't believe there was a trophy awarded, because you remember a letter? Or because you were there and didn't hear the announcement? I'm just asking, and wondering why you need proof? Maybe you can go to directly to the Devils for this answer.

P.S. I believe we have DCW staff on here that could shed some light on this....but I'm betting on the Devils.

Who was Ms. Gilligan teaching in 82???

Edited by LancerFi

LancerFi, April was marching with Garfield Cadets in 1982......she didn't start teaching them until she aged out....like in the mid 80s.

As far as BD winning best guard in 1982 .....THEY DID! I was there! Interesting because two of my friends I marched with marched with BD's guard that year.

LancerFi, April was marching with Garfield Cadets in 1982......she didn't start teaching them until she aged out....like in the mid 80s.

As far as BD winning best guard in 1982 .....THEY DID! I was there! Interesting because two of my friends I marched with marched with BD's guard that year.

I was also there and remember it the same way!

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the correct information although I never doubted Geoff.

I wonder if Geoff really did think 2-7 would win in 82??? Many good tricks that year and although not as clean as usual, they were great!

LancerFi, I think because 2-7 had always been dominate in guard captions, no one could rule them out for that year. However, as you know Zingali and company were no longer with them. They were making heads turn with Garfield Cadets. In 1982 GF's guard improved soooo much, thanks to Peggy Twiggs!

LancerFi, I think because 2-7 had always been dominate in guard captions, no one could rule them out for that year. However, as you know Zingali and company were no longer with them. They were making heads turn with Garfield Cadets. In 1982 GF's guard improved soooo much, thanks to Peggy Twiggs!

Oh yes, I sure do know. We cried together the first time I saw him after it had happened. Nothing had to be said, it was just a teary moment.

I just could not teach once all of the big guns were gone. For me that was a slap in the face and I was so angry as to how I percieved the separation happening that I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I felt sad and also thought that it would be the beginning of the end. I unfortunately was correct.

Anyway, I thought the guard was absolutely superb in 81 after they took out some of that work that just didn't fit during the mid-west shows. The DCI East tape is superb. I sure wished I had been born a year later. I was just feeling good in my skin as captain, as well, the work the rifles did I found truly great! Maybe better than the 79/80 work, just not as much. They picked up flags for the end of Crown and for the last song, Greatest Love.

But BD won in 82 not Cadets. Cadets guard was better than the years prior, but still coming into their own during the 82 season.

Anyway, this is too long....so sorry....I'll :sshh: now.

I was also there and remember it the same way!

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the correct information although I never doubted Geoff.

I wonder if Geoff really did think 2-7 would win in 82??? Many good tricks that year and although not as clean as usual, they were great!

You gotta remember. 27th is my all-time favorite corps.....I didnt get the chance to see Blue Devils until late in the season that year (I think Bayonne was the first time), I saw 27th already a few times. The laurels and spoils of being the 27th Lancers alone is/was enough for me to root for them, sentimental, educated opinion or not (LOL) ...and they really were pretty decent. 27th Rifle work in 82 was simply awesome, exciting, and effective.......They were my odds on favorite...til', lke I said...those wings !! those streamers !! those spider-web thingies.....that Jazz run in T.O. (yes dance, but not too much not too little......just perfect).

I know April aged out in 87 Garfield, dont know if she marched in 82.....

Thanks guys for confirming what I (we) already knew !!!

~G~

plus, 2-7 came a long way in 82....I remember them being beaten by Cavies in ALlentown, heck, I think Defenders opened up only 4 points below them in June (56 to a 52, If Im not mistaken) and then they roared throught he season passing everyone that beat them....winding up in 6th. The rifles went back to the Busbys.....that was great. The rifles, I think were smaller than what they had, but I remember, the work was so very effective....wasnt the line taught by Jeff Namien ?? Anyway........Off topic...sorry.

~G~

• 11 years later...

1972 - Kingsmen

1973 - Troopers

1979 - 27th Lancers

1980 - 27th Lancers

1981 - SCV

1982 - Blue Devils

1983 - Madison Scouts

1984 - Blue Devils

1985 - Spirit of Atlanta

1986 - Blue Devils