DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

The main problem with G's is the re-sale ability. The market is rather limited these days, but if you're planning on hanging onto them for awhile you're probably OK.

The main problem with G's is the re-sale ability. The market is rather limited these days, but if you're planning on hanging onto them for awhile you're probably OK.

I have to disagree. I have sold many 2valve and some really ugly 3 valve g horns.Most that show up forsale are gone quickly, especially in the spring and corps start to fill out.If they don't sell here they sell overseas.Bb flats are cheaper when buying a new line,but a used 3 valve soprano in silver is about $200-300 and bari's $350-450.Used King or Dynasty trumpets in silver are going for $400-500 and bari's $400-600.

Interesting. I've always wanted to play a G bugle in drum corps, so the Kilties are definitely an option. :tongue:

There are also alumni corps that use G's.I think most of them(Bridgemen definately do) use G's. I love my 2 valve king and Kanstul Grande. :tongue:

I have to disagree. I have sold many 2valve and some really ugly 3 valve g horns.Most that show up forsale are gone quickly, especially in the spring and corps start to fill out.If they don't sell here they sell overseas.Bb flats are cheaper when buying a new line,but a used 3 valve soprano in silver is about $200-300 and bari's $350-450.Used King or Dynasty trumpets in silver are going for $400-500 and bari's $400-600.

Well, I do have to agree with you to some extent. My father used to have an old (very old) set of Drum Corps bugles stashed in the attic. When I say old I don't mean maybe. There were about eight of them all decked out in chrome with no valves or rotors. To this day I don't know what happened to them, but I'll bet they'd be worth a small fortune. :tongue:

I can't speak for anyone else, but the Kilties are planning on sticking with Gs in the long term. We just bought a brand new set of Kanstul G horns over the last 2 years (sops and mellos 2 years ago, big horns last year). With proper care and maintenance, there is no reason that they shouldn't serve us well for many years.

Yup, Kanstul is still making "G" horns. If memory serves a couple of years ago the USMC signed a contract with Kanstul to be supplied with 2 valve G bugles for a period of 10 years I believe.

Yep, the Renegades are in G except for me. Last year I used a an A piccolo trumpet and a Bb flugel and trumpet. This year my pic is in G, but I still have my trusty Wild Thing! :tongue:

Didn't you use an Eb with rotary valves...05??

Well, I do have to agree with you to some extent. My father used to have an old (very old) set of Drum Corps bugles stashed in the attic. When I say old I don't mean maybe. There were about eight of them all decked out in chrome with no valves or rotors. To this day I don't know what happened to them, but I'll bet they'd be worth a small fortune. :tongue:

I have a friend who had 10 valve rotor horns from his corps in the 70's and he still got $75- 125 bucks for them each,last month.It depends on the time of the year to the get best price.Same as DEG and Kanstul they tool up to make so many G horns and then got back to Bb.Most Alumni Corps use music written for 2 vavle horns, so v/r,2v and 3valve will work.Alumni and parade corps probably make up the bulk of the used horn buying market.We have mostly DEG (26)and a few(4) Kanstuls.We still have 5,2v Deg contras. My pocket book drives most of the equipment purchases.So I'm tougher on spending than most groups.

Yup, Kanstul is still making "G" horns. If memory serves a couple of years ago the USMC signed a contract with Kanstul to be supplied with 2 valve G bugles for a period of 10 years I believe.

Last I checked (few years back) you could buy new Gs from their website. Lancers play (used) 3v G Kanstul and was thinking of getting one as a "mad" 50th present for myself. Then I realized how much.... :tongue:

Problem with G is the used market has pretty much dried up. If you have one in decent or fixable shapre you should be OK. If you want/need to buy a bunch then you are either screwed or will have to wait a long time. Lancers finished getting all 3v Kanstul Baris a few years ago... and... they... just... made... it... in... time...... And some of the horns needed some work before the people got to use 'em.

Note to self: Take the horn you use to the shop after the Reilly show (can't get the flippin' 3rd valve out again).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Last I checked (few years back) you could buy new Gs from their website. Lancers play (used) 3v G Kanstul and was thinking of getting one as a "mad" 50th present for myself. Then I realized how much.... :tongue:

Problem with G is the used market has pretty much dried up. If you have one in decent or fixable shapre you should be OK. If you want/need to buy a bunch then you are either screwed or will have to wait a long time. Lancers finished getting all 3v Kanstul Baris a few years ago... and... they... just... made... it... in... time...... And some of the horns needed some work before the people got to use 'em.

Note to self: Take the horn you use to the shop after the Reilly show (can't get the flippin' 3rd valve out again).

Its also helps having a Dynasty dealer as your arranger/percussion instructor.