DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

A buddy of mine from the Marines D&BC told me they still use them (at least they did when I talked to him last in 2008). The 2 valve bugles you stated to be exact. :tongue:

The contract was made while Colonel "C" was still with the Corps. And he specified that they be 2 valves, not 3. Dreitzer and Tru are probably up there agreeing that the horns used in Drum Corps should ALWAYS be in "G". But they're probably arguing like all get out about how many valves. Colonel "C" always argued that 2 valves are enough while Hy didn't care if there were 6 valves just as long as the horn is in "G". Some one once did an interview with Hy and asked what he thought about using horns in any other key. That's when he made the statement about both what key the horns should ALWAYS be in and the number of valves.

Gulf Coast Sound is all G, and as far as I know plan to stay that way. The corps has a full line, plus most of us have our own horns, plus a couple extras - I have my DEG 4V SuperMag for concerts/field shows, 2V DEG for parades. (Some own more than others...one of our members has 11 contras, among other horns!)

I recently checked out the DEG website and was dismayed to see that they only listed 4 different bugles for sale - no euph and no full-size contra anymore. I imagine the still have the tooling for those (though I don't know what arrangement they had with Willson for the contra valves, maybe that lapsed).

...and I gotta agree about the SuperMag - I don't think there's a better designed marching contra out there!

Some one once did an interview with Hy and asked what he thought about using horns in any other key. That's when he made the statement about both what key the horns should ALWAYS be in and the number of valves.

Yes... there was an interview with him in the 1976 DCA championship yearbook/program book.

His basic point was that G instruments of that day were, for all intents and purposes, trumpets (and whatever) keyed in G, as opposed to a "pure bugle"... and he advocated the use of three valves, but with the key remaining in G to maintain that "drum corps sound."

• Like 1

Yes, one could actually consider the G three valve soprano bugle a alto trumpet keyed in G.

Yes... there was an interview with him in the 1976 DCA championship yearbook/program book.

His basic point was that G instruments of that day were, for all intents and purposes, trumpets (and whatever) keyed in G, as opposed to a "pure bugle"... and he advocated the use of three valves, but with the key remaining in G to maintain that "drum corps sound."

• Like 1

Some own more than others...one of our members has 11 contras, among other horns!

...and I gotta agree about the SuperMag - I don't think there's a better designed marching contra out there!

Angels and ministers of grace!! Do you know where you store that many GG horns? In the contrabassment, naturally.

Cincinnati Tradition is on G horns, although from year to year we may have someone come to the corps that is not comfortable in G-land who will play a Bb or F horn. These (typically) younger folks seem eager to drive a g horn in subsequent years.

Robert

• Like 1

.... These (typically) younger folks seem eager to drive a g horn in subsequent years.

Robert

Probably because they find themselves playing in keys with lots of sharps most of the time on the Bb or F horns.

Play a G bugle C scale on a trumpet and you are in A. If the music is in D, that puts the Bb guys in B=five sharps.

Same sort of thing for middle horns, but not quite a drastic. Music in D puts the F middies in E=four sharps.

I would really like to see what keys the arrangers are using with Bb/F lines.

Oh, and to answer the OP's question: Skyliners Alumni - G (most makes and models represented, including Olds BU-10 frenchies and a Yammie convertible. Sorry, nobody uses a G-D with slip-slide though at least two of the tunes in the show were built around them.)

Edited by G-horns

It was a Bb Mirafone flugel.

I'm wondering what other keys have been used in DCA over the years. I was toying with the idea of using a C trumpet this year, but I'm tired of packing and unpacking three horns every show! :lookaround:

Larrie, those of us watching from the front sidelines got a kick out of watching you dig into your various "bags of tricks" at Finals. We were like, "What's he gonna come up with next????" LOL

Larrie, those of us watching from the front sidelines got a kick out of watching you dig into your various "bags of tricks" at Finals. We were like, "What's he gonna come up with next????" LOL

Felix the Cat, huh? :lookaround: