DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

That recoup investment thing only works for the "Big Boys" who are operating on multi-thousand dollar budgets. As a Director of a Start up Corps we ran into a good deal on some 2 Valve G Bugles then some 3 Valve G Bugles.

We plan on using them for a long time and then buy a G line from Kanstul in the future.

Yeah. Its funny how gullible some band directors can be. Buy used brass from Phantom, Cadets, BD or SCV and instantly get the Phantom, Cadets, BD or SCV sound. :lookaround:

The only overall economic positive of Bb/F is that a corps whose season ends this week can rent the heavy brass to local schools for the fall marching band season. The horns will be back in time for auditions at the end of November. DCA corps have a bit of a handicap since the season goes 'til Labor Day.

Good one Jeff. I really liked that horn. Especially the serial numbe 6968. (only means something if you know the Joke.) I know you're taking good care of it. :lookaround:

Not quite dinner for 4 :lookaround: CJ has never left it out of his hands or sight.He's happy he got an new apprentice.We moved a sop over to mello last week.

Yeah. Its funny how gullible some band directors can be. Buy used brass from Phantom, Cadets, BD or SCV and instantly get the Phantom, Cadets, BD or SCV sound. :lookaround:

The only overall economic positive of Bb/F is that a corps whose season ends this week can rent the heavy brass to local schools for the fall marching band season. The horns will be back in time for auditions at the end of November. DCA corps have a bit of a handicap since the season goes 'til Labor Day.

Most of them if they looked at the internet they are saving maybe $100 over a new one at Woodwind and Brasswind and it didn't get used in a touring corps for a year or two. I don't have have 10k into the 32 horns I have.All are 90% or better and except for the 5 2valve contras are 3 valve.Knowing the value of equipment and due diligence will equip your group with suffucient equipment to meet your needs.Anyone can go out and spend a ton of money.Doing it without going broke will keep your group solvent no matter what happens.

Most of them if they looked at the internet they are saving maybe $100 over a new one at Woodwind and Brasswind and it didn't get used in a touring corps for a year or two. I don't have have 10k into the 32 horns I have.All are 90% or better and except for the 5 2valve contras are 3 valve.Knowing the value of equipment and due diligence will equip your group with suffucient equipment to meet your needs.Anyone can go out and spend a ton of money.Doing it without going broke will keep your group solvent no matter what happens.

I agree, the used Drum Crops Brass is too high priced. Horns are kinda like cars. You loose some money as you drive it off the lot and it becomes worthless at 100k miles then if you happened to hold onto it for a long period of time it becomes a collectors item.

When I bought our 1st horns, they were 6 trumpets various brands, 6 King Mellos and 4 King Baris in Band Key. Next I found a good deal on a smallline of 2 valve G Bugles 3 Sops, 6 mellos 9 Baris and borrowed 2 Contra and later added 3 more Sops and a Flugel Bugle.

Our 3rd line we ran into for a great deal was a small line of 3 valve G Bugles, 6 Sops, 9 Mellos, 6 Baris 1 Euph, 1 Three v Contra and 4 two v Contra.

I'm just saying, look around for the horns you want, they are out there.

G Bugle is still a good choice.

When Prairie Sound makes DCA we will be on 3 Valve G bugle.

I'm just saying, look around for the horns you want, they are out there.

G Bugle is still a good choice.

I agree. You have to have the funds ready and available when the deals come up. Thats how MCL was able to put together a hornline. I bought the initial group of horns in 05. The corps paid me back over a schedule of a couple of years. They have bought horns here and there and everywhere as they have become available,

I am pretty shocked at the prices some of the DCI corps are trying to get for their horns. Its way out of the realm for used horns. But if they can get it,,more power too them

I agree. You have to have the funds ready and available when the deals come up. Thats how MCL was able to put together a hornline. I bought the initial group of horns in 05. The corps paid me back over a schedule of a couple of years. They have bought horns here and there and everywhere as they have become available,

I am pretty shocked at the prices some of the DCI corps are trying to get for their horns. Its way out of the realm for used horns. But if they can get it,,more power too them

Depends on the corps...Blue Stars' prices for their current brass inventory looks to be about 1/3 of brand new retail...a deep DEEP discount.

And Gs?? There was someone selling a complete line of almost 30 Kanstuls a few weeks back.....made me start to cry, because it's about a year too early!!

Depends on the corps...Blue Stars' prices for their current brass inventory looks to be about 1/3 of brand new retail...a deep DEEP discount.

And Gs?? There was someone selling a complete line of almost 30 Kanstuls a few weeks back.....made me start to cry, because it's about a year too early!!

30 Kanstuls right now cash on the barrel head. I feel your pain. :lookaround:

30 Kanstuls right now cash on the barrel head. I feel your pain. :lookaround:

Well...much as I would've LOVED to have had those Gs, En Garde will be Bb/F if it comes back, as we're trying to hook up with a brand new high school (opening 3rd quarter 2011) to BE that school's fall music program (dovetailing the summer corps season into it)...we'd have to go Bb/F so the 2nd semester programs could use the same instruments.

Yeah. Like I said earlier, some band directors think that the horns are going to make the sound.

SoCal Dream still on G's and OMG, we even have a 2-valve frenchie in our line this year.....