DCA Corps Still Using G Bugles

SoCal Dream still on G's and OMG, we even have a 2-valve frenchie in our line this year.....

Really?? The last time I remember Dream with a 2 valve French was Darkman in 04 for prelims (I don't remember if Mike marched any other shows that year). I think he had a King K-40...is that the model your guy/gal has now??

So now Renegades and Dream might be the only corps with Frenchies on the field...anyone else?

Is Darkman driving it? He should know how.

Dunno if he's actually on the field....he did in 04 to fill a drill hole, if I remember right. Then again, Thom Willett Facebooked that he just crammed the show (while teaching it), so Mike might be out there...I haven't seen the show to tell.

However, if he IS on the field, he's probably the one on the Frenchie.

FWIW the Inspires are still in G.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Statesmen plan to stay on G's (that is, buy a new G line when necessary) or switch to Bb/F when the next purchase needs to be made?

As Robert Kirby mentioned earlier, Cincinnati Tradition is a G corps that sometimes has players come in mid-season or are brand new and not comfortable enough with a G horn so they will play on a Bb or F, or in the case of one member last season, a C trumpet. As far as the breakdown goes, all of the sections have at least one three valve horn. We're marching at least one non-chromatic horn in most sections as well. Configurations include 2 valve and piston/rotor. I don't declare to be the final authority on this, but I believe that makes Tradition one of, if not the last corps still using valve/rotor horns as full time field brass (not like as a small solo piece or featurette). Can anyone confirm/deny?

Interesting bit of trivia from this past weekend:

In the DCA-Central competitions, more corps competed with G Bugles than those without:

High Country Brass - G

Vigilantes - G

Govies - Bb

Kilties - G

MN Brass - Bb

Quite possibly one of the last of a dying breed in competitions where G corps outnumber Bb's. Hard to imagine many more contests like these will occur in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

So I received the following message about G bugles:

You are making an assumption that new G bugles are available. Ziggy is under contract strictly to provide them for the marine corps. I do not believe he intends to sell G bugles to anyone else unless they offer him more $$$ than any corps can afford... I wouldn't be surprised if he is hording parts to cover the Marine contract... No idea what empire's intentions are, and I prefer the G sound outside, but I do think it will be prohibitive to buy G bugles. Just an educated opinion...

That doesn't seem right, though, since Kanstul advertises a full line of G bugles on their website, prices listed, ready for purchase from their factory.

So could a DCA corps, with necessary financial means, purchase a brand new line of Kanstul G bugles?

The contract was made while Colonel "C" was still with the Corps. And he specified that they be 2 valves, not 3. Dreitzer and Tru are probably up there agreeing that the horns used in Drum Corps should ALWAYS be in "G". But they're probably arguing like all get out about how many valves. Colonel "C" always argued that 2 valves are enough while Hy didn't care if there were 6 valves just as long as the horn is in "G". Some one once did an interview with Hy and asked what he thought about using horns in any other key. That's when he made the statement about both what key the horns should ALWAYS be in and the number of valves.

I may just be a simple drummer but I will stand by this till I die, "G is the Key of Drum Corps". I don't think there are any marching bands in any form using G horns... I could be wrong of course but to my knowledge, B flat are the majority of horns in band. (IMO.... Another major factor between drum corps and band :worthy:)

Edited by Skydrummer9

So I received the following message about G bugles:

That doesn't seem right, though, since Kanstul advertises a full line of G bugles on their website, prices listed, ready for purchase from their factory.

So could a DCA corps, with necessary financial means, purchase a brand new line of Kanstul G bugles?

Oh wow....so many things wrong about that email.

The MARINES are required to stay on G, I believe....nothing prevents anyone from buying a G horn...I did in 06.

if a corps walks in the door with the cash to buy a full line outright, does anyone REALLY think a horn maker is going to turn it away??

Hoarding parts?? How often do the Marines switch inventories?? YEARS. Zig's not gonna hold inventory that long...takes up space he can use for gear he IS selling...like other G horns.