Dry mouth during shows

Bossop

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a dental hygienist and gave me free samples of Biotene. Didn't work. I know the problem is only partly nerves but medication is a factor. Often it's during the easiest song later in the routine. If it were only nerves it would be at the beginning or on more challenging stuff. In the CYO Nationals Tribute show a few weeks ago, I only needed 2 little sips and played the best I have done in a long time.

In an earlier post (on paqe 3)you said you you had a problem at Mission Drums last year, you were going to try the holy water bottle at rochester; it worked; then you "confirmed" it worked at CYO National tribute show a few weeks ago. So what is the status on getting uncircumsised?

Getting uncircumcised has the advantage of having a place to put your gum during a sandstorm, but not many other benefits. Actually, I've found some inexpensive aluminum bottles that are smaller (2 1/2 oz vs 4 oz for the Holy Water bottle)and don't require alumnium tape to hide it and to attach it to the horn, leaving a sticky deposit. Just use a metal hose clamp that tightens with a screw driver.

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from the same problem I get while performing on the field- dry mouth. It seems that during field shows, where the brass plays one song after another, my mouth gets so dry, it's like trying to play when your mouth is full of saltines. We are an exhibition alumni corps and do a limited drill, and it happens both while moving and while parking and blowing. I can't play at all at these times when it happens. I always thought that it was because my adreneline is pumping, and this dries me out, but I've found out that my hypertension medicine (I take six different things now that I've had 4 cardiac stents- I'm 65 years old) can have the side effect of creating dry mouth.

Does anyone bring water onto the field with them? What is the least distractive way of accessing water? Should I just give it up and join the honor guard? It really bothers me to not be able to play my best during the important shows. It doesn't seem to happen during parades because we have a break in between songs where I can rejuice up.

I'd be real interested in hearing if others suffer from the same thing.

When I marched Blue Stars in 2009 we took our water bottles from rehearsal to the warmup area with us and before we went to go perform the staff collected them for us and set them somewhere for after we performed.

• 5 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone out there suffers from the same problem I get while performing on the field- dry mouth. It seems that during field shows, where the brass plays one song after another, my mouth gets so dry, it's like trying to play when your mouth is full of saltines. We are an exhibition alumni corps and do a limited drill, and it happens both while moving and while parking and blowing. I can't play at all at these times when it happens. I always thought that it was because my adreneline is pumping, and this dries me out, but I've found out that my hypertension medicine (I take six different things now that I've had 4 cardiac stents- I'm 65 years old) can have the side effect of creating dry mouth.

Does anyone bring water onto the field with them? What is the least distractive way of accessing water? Should I just give it up and join the honor guard? It really bothers me to not be able to play my best during the important shows. It doesn't seem to happen during parades because we have a break in between songs where I can rejuice up.

I'd be real interested in hearing if others suffer from the same thing.

Water---Lots of it !

Water---Lots of it !

Water---Lots of it !

Water---Lots of it !

Water---Lots of it !

Water---Lots of it !