The Kids work hard, but I still don't like it.

I don't think it's a problem with audience members at all, I think it's a problem with the music.

If you think of ANY other art form which incorporates music and visual, you find (if it's any good) that the music can stand alone just fine. A great ballet is obviously best enjoyed live and "complete", but it's perfectly enjoyable to pop in a CD and listen to the music alone.

Many film scores do not really stand alone when you just play the music.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I thought that implied some sort of desire that saying something here would bring drum corps to to what you used to love

No. I was merely expressing the reason why I continue to try, in response to someone saying they couldn't understand why I would bother.

I can think of several. Take music score. It is often composed to specifically compliment what's going on in any given scene. Most of the time the music is kind of disjointed, doesn't have a traditional structure, and doesn't really stand on it's own. Later on, if the movie is successful and has a good score, the music will be reworked in more of a "suite" form, or concert form in order to make things work for a different medium.

I agree with most of your comments but I need to take small issue here.

A truly great score can and does stand on its own. There are many examples.

On this thought: People don't care what the time signature is as long as they can still dance. :thumbup:

To play devil's advocate, drum corps shows should be programmed exclusively to people with this kind of musical knowledge?

It really just doesn't seem logical to expect things to change in DCI by complaining about it on DCP, as this is just a place to vent. I would hope no one on here thinks that any of the things said on here have any impact on DCI administration.

In other words: Ranting on DCP is like wetting your pants in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but no one notices ?

Many film scores do not really stand alone when you just play the music.

But just as many actually do