The World Series of Drum Corps

So let me bring up a conspiracy there here. Lets say the G-7 feel so strongly about this new approach that they just know it won’t fail, it will be more successful than they ever imagined. So, in that respect they are going to keep trying to push the issue to the point where DCI forces them out on their own (which is what they want to happen). Then, 5 years from now when the G-7 are as strong as ever and DCI is closing it’s doors, the G-7 can’t be blamed for DCI’s demise because they can claim that they wanted to stay part of DCI but DCI kicked them out. Again, not my thoughts on what will happen, just what the G-7 might actually believe.

I dunno . . . it seems to me that the G7 are genuinely afraid of leaving DCI. It's not clear yet who the victor and the vanquished in this struggle are.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally feel that DCI should wish the G7 well, and send them on their way. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out. Before that happens, however, there shoud be some very clear guidelines carved in stone for any of the G7 to return-in the event that their pie in the sky dream turns out to be just that. I think that something that everyone has overlooked, is that in reality we will probably end up only losing FIVE corps, NOT SEVEN. If the G7 leave or are removed, I would fully expect that BDB and SCVC will petition to move from OC to WC, and presumably would have little difficulty with the evaluation process.

I dunno, if I had a voice in whether these corps moved up, after their A corps just quit DCI, I would kindly vote no.

It still baffles my mind to think that Carolina Crown and Bluecoats have even considered being a part of this. Whats happening this year is just that, this year. Neither of them have proven any type of competitive consistency and neither one of them have won anything.

Are they good ? Yes. Are they fun to watch ? Yes. Do they have a proven track record of consistency to think they are a main draw for fans around the country...say, over Scouts, Boston, Blue Knights, Blue Stars..etc ??? Hardly.

When the first propsal was leaked, Crown was poised to be the "heir to the throne" and many predicted they would win it all this year..now as this second one was leaked, they could see themselves sitting in fifth place. Hardly a formidable contender or evidence of consistent competitive dominance.

The Bluecoats have yet to place in the top three in any championship finals. It very well could happen this year. Its arrogant for them to think they cold not only achieve and maintain this kind of success but they also need to worry about gaining ultimate supremacy and stay there.

There is just something not right with this picture.

G

Not only are they giving away gas cards, but the "free tickets for age-outs" promotion is designed to put more butts in the seats because their ticket sales are suffering. I think this is a combination of the still-lousy economy combined with the stellar sound quality of the venue. Something DOES need to change-but this isn't it, a simple change of venue back to outdoor stadiums and rotating finals cities will remedy that.

This proposal, from a G7 point of view, is nothing short of brilliant. Let's piggyback off of DCI, we can make what we normally make there, have our 9 shows, we get to keep ALL the profits from that. If this new thing works, we can bid DCI a fond farewell; if it doesn't work out, we can just quietly put it back on the shelf and go about pushing woodwinds through. If we can get the gullible DCI corps to go along with this, we get to have our cake and eat it too.

Apparently, BD and SCV don't plan on performing in any shows out west next year-because this will "follow the DCI tour", and I don't see any west dates. Likewise, those of us in the northeast have no hope of seeing any of these G7 corps-for the same reason, will we even HAVE any shows next year? At least in the northeast, we will still have DCA so we won't have to go without completely. I'm happy to see that the G7 generate "60% of souvenir sales"-and I'm even happier to say that this year, they didn't and aren't going to get one thin dime from me at their souvenir booths. Bluecoats souvenir sales are so good that they didn't even feel a need to set up their souvie stand at the East Coast Classic in Lawrence, MA last week (Mandarins and Pacific Crest are also so flush with cash that they felt the same way). Certainly didn't lend much "atmosphere" to the show with only Cadets, Teal Sound and hometown Boston Crusaders and Crusaders Sr. having stands.

I personally feel that DCI should wish the G7 well, and send them on their way. Don't let the door hit you in the backside on your way out. Before that happens, however, there shoud be some very clear guidelines carved in stone for any of the G7 to return-in the event that their pie in the sky dream turns out to be just that. I think that something that everyone has overlooked, is that in reality we will probably end up only losing FIVE corps, NOT SEVEN. If the G7 leave or are removed, I would fully expect that BDB and SCVC will petition to move from OC to WC, and presumably would have little difficulty with the evaluation process.

The other thing to consider, supposing this debacle is allowed to move forward, suppose that one or more of the non G7 "qualify" by virtue of their placement, one or more of the G7 fail to qualify...suppose that the non G7 decline the invitation to join? Will the remaining corps be able to have the same "draw"? How will you justify to your "target audience" that they should pay the same price to see five or six corps as they were to see seven previously?

i believe the 3 corps you mention were already set up in Allentown. honestly, coming from where they were, it made logistical sense to not go all the way up there and set up shop in Allentown

I still wonder if they asked for the stars with the original proposal knowing they might end up with the moon, so to speak.

If history is any indication (corps size, electronics), the stars are coming.

If history is any indication (corps size, electronics), the stars are coming.

This wouldnt surprise me, though i wonder if they may have shown their hand a bit here. If theyve shown they dont think they can last without DCI, then the remaining corps in DCI hold a very strong hand here.

Not only are they giving away gas cards, but the "free tickets for age-outs" promotion is designed to put more butts in the seats because their ticket sales are suffering. I think this is a combination of the still-lousy economy combined with the stellar sound quality of the venue. Something DOES need to change-but this isn't it, a simple change of venue back to outdoor stadiums and rotating finals cities will remedy that.

This proposal, from a G7 point of view, is nothing short of brilliant. Let's piggyback off of DCI, we can make what we normally make there, have our 9 shows, we get to keep ALL the profits from that. If this new thing works, we can bid DCI a fond farewell; if it doesn't work out, we can just quietly put it back on the shelf and go about pushing woodwinds through. If we can get the gullible DCI corps to go along with this, we get to have our cake and eat it too.

Apparently, BD and SCV don't plan on performing in any shows out west next year-because this will "follow the DCI tour", and I don't see any west dates. Likewise, those of us in the northeast have no hope of seeing any of these G7 corps-for the same reason, will we even HAVE any shows next year? At least in the northeast, we will still have DCA so we won't have to go without completely. I'm happy to see that the G7 generate "60% of souvenir sales"-and I'm even happier to say that this year, they didn't and aren't going to get one thin dime from me at their souvenir booths. Bluecoats souvenir sales are so good that they didn't even feel a need to set up their souvie stand at the East Coast Classic in Lawrence, MA last week (Mandarins and Pacific Crest are also so flush with cash that they felt the same way). Certainly didn't lend much "atmosphere" to the show with only Cadets, Teal Sound and hometown Boston Crusaders and Crusaders Sr. having stands.

The other thing to consider, supposing this debacle is allowed to move forward, suppose that one or more of the non G7 "qualify" by virtue of their placement, one or more of the G7 fail to qualify...suppose that the non G7 decline the invitation to join? Will the remaining corps be able to have the same "draw"? How will you justify to your "target audience" that they should pay the same price to see five or six corps as they were to see seven previously?

Great post, Grumpy. Well thought out and lots of good points.

From Jeff's thing (presentation? press release?):

In the aggregate, we have over 155,000 facebook friends, more than double that of DCI.

For poops and giggles, I looked into it.

The Cadets: 12,730 "likes" (I presume this is what they mean by "friends"-taken from the Facebook links on corps' webpages)

Blue Devils: 38,924

Cavaliers: 34,635

Phantom Regiment: 42,693

Carolina Crown: 23,937

Santa Clara Vanguard: 26,528

Bluecoats: 7,144

This doesn't address repeats, either. And, what percentage of people "Like" one or more of these corps AND DCI???

(If FB friends is our benchmark statistic now, makes you wonder what the G3 of Phantom, Blue Devils, and Cavaliers are doing with "scrubs" like the Cadets and Bluecoats.)

So someone anonymously submitted the document to you? Wow! :tongue:

It's almost like there's a mole within the G7.....

Perhaps we can call this "G7-Gate." :worthy: