If G7 breaks away

I'm in your exact boat. My plans to one day audition for Phantom Regiment will vanish if they leave. Spirit will (hopefully) be my corps home.

But why would you change your plans? If you really want to audition for Phantom, what exactly is stopping you? An easy comparison would be a baseball team switching divisions. Would a player not want to go to a team if they switch from the AL to the NL? Probably not. If you really want to go to Phantom, you'll go to Phantom. The draw of the corps is always the strongest thing.

Signed,

someone who's corps is part of this, and I still plan to spend the rest of my years with them, because it is my home.

Edited by fsubone

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But why would you change your plans? If you really want to audition for Phantom, what exactly is stopping you? An easy comparison would be a baseball team switching divisions. Would a player not want to go to a team if they switch from the AL to the NL? Probably not. If you really want to go to Phantom, you'll go to Phantom. The draw of the corps is always the strongest thing.

Signed,

someone who's corps is part of this, and I still plan to spend the rest of my years with them, because it is my home.

I am THAT strongly against this proposed division in the activity. The elitism sickens me. Favorite corps or not, I won't spend thousands of dollars to march for a program that participates in this (Crown was a second choice). I was going to audition for Spirit this winter anyway, so I can give this "world series" a year to pan out before finalizing any decisions about Phantom.

I am THAT strongly against this proposed division in the activity. The elitism sickens me. Favorite corps or not, I won't spend thousands of dollars to march for a program that participates in this (Crown was a second choice). I was going to audition for Spirit this winter anyway, so I can give this "world series" a year to pan out before finalizing any decisions about Phantom.

Okay, I can understand that. I am on the opposite side of the fence on this as you, but I respect your viewpoint. But just think about this, say Spirit starts to catch on fire like Blue Stars did, and rockets up into the mid-top 12. Then they get picked up for this new group, what happens then? Hypothetical of course, but things do happen in this crazy drum corps world.

Okay, I can understand that. I am on the opposite side of the fence on this as you, but I respect your viewpoint. But just think about this, say Spirit starts to catch on fire like Blue Stars did, and rockets up into the mid-top 12. Then they get picked up for this new group, what happens then? Hypothetical of course, but things do happen in this crazy drum corps world.

That, sir, is a question I have no possible way of answering right now. :thumbup: Until I experience a tour with Spirit, I honestly have no idea. I'm insanely loyal to my high school program, even though there are countless things I don't like about it. I can't begin to imagine what my loyalty would be to a corps.

Side note: I hope Blue Stars stay away from it, if invited. I've enjoyed them far too much since first seeing them in '08.

That, sir, is a question I have no possible way of answering right now. :thumbup: Until I experience a tour with Spirit, I honestly have no idea. I'm insanely loyal to my high school program, even though there are countless things I don't like about it. I can't begin to imagine what my loyalty would be to a corps.

Side note: I hope Blue Stars stay away from it, if invited. I've enjoyed them far too much since first seeing them in '08.

Yeah, corps loyalty is something special indeed. Once you've spent the summer with 149 of your closest friends, brothers and sisters, it changes you, and you know that you would do anything for the people in your corps, and you know that they would do the same thing for you. When you come off the field at the end of the year, and you look at the people around you, and you all know what you've accomplished, nothing can ever come close to that feeling, and you get to share it with all of them. Drum corps people are a special breed, I've made life-long friends in DCI, and I know tons of people who have stared dating or gotten married because they met in a corps. Even if there are things you don't like about where you are (and there always are) the love, devotion, and loyalty to the group will always outweigh the negatives.

I'm not sure what Blue Stars will do, they're in a position right now to go either direction, but whatever path that they choose, it will be what is smarter and best for the Blue Stars organization as a whole.

Signed,

FSU, your perspective is from someone who has already experienced your corps in the context of DCI. Animal, on the other hand, has yet to experience that and wishes to make sure that he does. It's just as valid as your viewpoint, just different. There will be people currently in G7 corps who will stay and others who will go, just like every other year.

All I know is that the G7 corps owe it to their potential 2011 and beyond membership to be totally UP FRONT about their plans. What instrumentation will they be employing? How involved in DCI competition will they be? Is the corps likely to pull away from DCI altogether? Anything short of that is taking advantage of the naivete of youth and should be brought to light immediately by anyone who sees such hedging in action.

An easy comparison would be a baseball team switching divisions. Would a player not want to go to a team if they switch from the AL to the NL? Probably not.

No, but they might not want to be (hypothetically) traded from the American League to a college summer league, where they will no longer compete in Major League Baseball games. THAT is the long-term fear.

No, but they might not want to be (hypothetically) traded from the American League to a college summer league, where they will no longer compete in Major League Baseball games. THAT is the long-term fear.

Or, take the example another direction (now that I have more time): If multi-million dollar contracts weren't involved, how many guys would like to play for the Yankees AFTER they announce that they are going to have a series of 162 Home Run Derbies across the country instead of competing in the AL East and potentially playing the (actual) World Series? Would the history/legacy (Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Yankee Stadium-sometimes) of the Yankee organization be enough for players to join this meaningless exhibition instead of playing Major League Baseball games for Boston or Philadelphia or another team?

From what a little birdie told me, that already happened. Same for BAC.