Trooping The Stands.

Once upon a time in a Galaxy far away...after the Announcement of Scores, Corps would march off the Field in reverse order of Finish, saluting the Winning Corps AND the Fans. It was a mark of respect for the Champions as well as to receive the applause of the Audience. And while I have had many experiences of "Booing" during scores being announced, I have NEVER heard anything but cheers & applause during a Corps "Passing In Review" at the end of the evening. What do you all think about restoring this Time Honored Tradition? :thumbup: or :thumbup: ?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Once upon a time in a Galaxy far away...after the Announcement of Scores, Corps would march off the Field in reverse order of Finish, saluting the Winning Corps AND the Fans. It was a mark of respect for the Champions as well as to receive the applause of the Audience. And while I have had many experiences of "Booing" during scores being announced, I have NEVER heard anything but cheers & applause during a Corps "Passing In Review" at the end of the evening. What do you all think about restoring this Time Honored Tradition? :thumbup: or :thumbup: ?

Yes Restore that tradition and retreats at all shows (and critiques). One of the coolest "trooping" traditions is what Pioneer does in playing the Garry Owen March.

I like it, of course, but I also like Full Retreat, which is a treat we don't get to fully enjoy outside of Finals. Unfortunately the only pass and reviews I'll see are in military ceremonies from behind the mace.

I like it, of course, but I also like Full Retreat, which is a treat we don't get to fully enjoy outside of Finals. Unfortunately the only pass and reviews I'll see are in military ceremonies from behind the mace.

This year, we DID have full retreat in Atlanta...

This year, we DID have full retreat in Atlanta...

No, no, no. It has been so long now that most don't even know what they are anymore and why people have no idea what I'm doing when I grunt during Conquest. After scores the corps leave one at a time in reverse order of finish and play a song to the champion as they march off. They used to do this at every show. We would get to hear BAC=Conquest, Madison=You'll Never Walk Alone, SCV=Send in the Clowns, SOA=Georgia, etc. I miss so much hearing the corps songs being played. For the other poster full retreat can only be 12 corps, that's the reason for prelims knocking it down to 12.

FWIW, this year at Finals was WORLDS better than last year...the US Marines Drum & Bugle Corps playing the corps onto the field. An Olympic-style retreat would have been nice, but it beat Miley Cyrus and smoke machines by a country mile. I was kind of puzzled as to why the massed horns piece was done BEFORE the announcement of scores? IMO, they should bring back "America/O Canada" as that arrangement, with the massed horns, was unbelievable. I think the days of corps playing themselves off the field, saluting the champions, are but a distant memory. Even DCA has gravitated away from that. I feel fortunate that I was able to witness them "BITD".

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: how about a sideways thumb....it did make it easier to get out of the parking lot with some staying behind to view it. Although as a member it kinda sucked...stood there forever on retreat..lol

There were a few times that I can remember some corps playing themselves off the field, and some really special moments and gestures of good sportsmanship manifesting themselves spontaneously at otherwise small or non-DCI contests. The vast majority of the time, it was just another chance to hear a corps let loose on a number as they walked off and paid respect to the contest winner, but there were a few "hard feelings" sometimes as well I'm QUITE sure. :thumbup: Now "time is of the essence" at most shows, as they have to clear out by a certain time.

Oh sure, standing there through all the awards and commentary was indeed grueling sometimes as a corps member, especially in Whitewater, WI or Horicon, WI, when it was mosquitopalooza time (basically all summer long...LOL!) ... but I remember some cool stuff happening during retreats and corps that would troop the stands, frequently getting standing O's as they would briefly turn to the stands and blow their hearts out or turn to the contest winner and play a heartfelt piece in appreciation and respect.

Good times!

Eliminating retreat during the season allows the corps to get back on the road much faster than back in the day, but I am sorry to see the tradition (nearly) dead. I always enjoyed hearing the other corps playing themselves off. My favorite was always Madison playing "You'll Never Walk Alone." I get chills going up and down my spine just thinking about it.