Madison Scouts 2011

Remeberance

/thread

• Like 1

Call me crazy, but I'm sure that Mr. Mason had been sitting on ideas for a few years were this opportunity ever to arise. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if he already has 2011 and 2012 plotted out. In a rough draft, at the very least.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Met Jim, Jr. Knew his Mom and Dad pretty well (I think of Jim Sr. as a wonderful mentor), and hmm- if Jim would read this- perhaps take a look at something I believe he was involved with a long time ago and re-visit it.

How about Clifton Williams' Symphonic Dance #3, "Fiesta" ???

If anyone could write a tasty, in your face Scouts version of that-- he certainly could, and if he did, it'd be way cool. :thumbup:

"Concerto for Guitar and Jazz Orchestra" and "Remembrance" were both written by Paul Hart.

Perhaps this could be a winning idea (not 1st place winning, but winning in the sense of continuing the climb up the ladder while playing music that Drum Corps veteran fans will know, and also melodic enough that newbies who aren't familiar with the pieces could still enjoy them).

http://www.joeandco.com/content/paul-hart-biography

The link above is a bio of Mr. Hart. I would venture to say that while there is enough material in the Concerto for a full show (certainly if combined with Remembrance), there are probably some other unknown-to-DCI pieces that would also work well. Assuming Mr. Hart has not "evolved" in the manner ala Stravinsky, it's a good bet quite a few of the pieces listed on the bio would also work for the field. Considering Mr. Hart's love of jazz, likely several of these could be right up Madison's alley IF they can find recordings of them... (assuming the design staff is still in the process of kicking around ideas for next year).

If Jim Mason's goals for the design of 3 seasons worth of shows were to explore the 3 genres of music that the Scouts have been know for (showtunes/broadway, classical, and jazz), then we'd probably be looking at degree of difficulty for the 3 building blocks of competitive success. This year encompassed the "showtunes/broadway" element. Not surprising since showtunes are often big and flashy and can be easily adapted for difficulty. I would have to put classical next in line because it pretty much runs the gamut from fairly simple to insanely difficult and therefore can serve well as "stage 2". Jazz is probably the most complex of the three...in that, while it can also run the gamut of demand, requires style in addition to technicality. It would therefore make sense to field a jazz show with your strongest corps in "stage 3".

Of course, this is all wild speculation and me talking out of my backside...but it's certainly possible! :thumbup:

Get rid of the electronics and Bring back "Memories" (from Cats) that was a powerful tune. Shoot they have a whole file cabinet to pull from if they want to bring back some the old stuff. I can't wait to see them catch up with Cavaliers and get some battles going again.

I have the 1981 to 1987 Madison DVD and I think that has some of the best of Madison on it.

Edited by Kansan

If Jim Mason's goals for the design of 3 seasons worth of shows were to explore the 3 genres of music that the Scouts have been know for (showtunes/broadway, classical, and jazz), then we'd probably be looking at degree of difficulty for the 3 building blocks of competitive success. This year encompassed the "showtunes/broadway" element. Not surprising since showtunes are often big and flashy and can be easily adapted for difficulty. I would have to put classical next in line because it pretty much runs the gamut from fairly simple to insanely difficult and therefore can serve well as "stage 2". Jazz is probably the most complex of the three...in that, while it can also run the gamut of demand, requires style in addition to technicality. It would therefore make sense to field a jazz show with your strongest corps in "stage 3".

Of course, this is all wild speculation and me talking out of my backside...but it's certainly possible! :thumbup:

I feel like all 3 of those could describe this year's show.

They don't necessarily have to hit them all every year, or only hit one of them per year.

Just sit back and watch the fun!

(though honestly I wouldn't mind them diving into some progressive rock/metal when their talent catches up to the hype in full force!)

Maybe something with an Iguana theme ... Or maybe Luchadores ... Or both?

(Kidding ... The 2010 show was awesome.)