Help with quad carriers...

Blivit

I am the percussion instructor for a high school in virginia. To start off, the quads aren't that great, but it's all the school could afford at the time. They were originally the pearl competitor series that had the one piece carrier(could flip the drums up but not remove them entirely from the carrier.) I retrofitted some pearl aluminum carriers to the drums by using some newer pearl mounting bars therefore making the carrier separate from the drums....kinda hard to explain, but basically now they are a real set of quads.

Anyway, the problem now is that the drums are too close to the students body. Because of how they were before, putting the new bar on brought the drums in too close. What I am looking for are some new j-bars that will work with the pearl carrier and that will move the drums further away from the body.

I have found j-bars from xl percussion that are much longer and look like they will work, but I think they are thinner and won't stay in the pearl carrier.

Any ideas? Keep in mind, the school can't afford all new stuff so I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible by just changing the j-bars.

• 1 month later...

we currently have XL harnesses ... the problem is that they are not very supportive ... we use sextuplets and they are very heavy ...

Ah, maybe I can help a little bit....

The diameter of the steel rod used with the XL carriers is smaller than the J-rods used by Pearl and Yamaha, but since they are smaller in diameter, they will fit in Pearl carrier. We use XL aluminum vest carriers with our Yamaha Fieldcorps tenors. These tenors are shipped with the May hardware packs and use the larger diameter J-rods, but the thinner XL rods with work.

As mentioned before, XL has adjustable j-rods available and I would recommend using them with no problems.