The 150 member increase.

How many of those holes are from injuries? Generally, a corps doesn't have holes by the end of the season because they couldn't fill membership; they'd have rewritten the drill.

Not true. By a certain point, there is no return from marching a hole without setting back your wholw season.

And even if it is true, it doesn't matter. When I marched, we had injuries too. Know what happened? We replaced them. Know why? Because 64 was an attainable goal. 80 is only attainable by some. Which brings me back to my questions of whether or not it's worth it or fair for the corps that struggle to reach that number.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw how small Phantom looked and was disappointed. Then after talking to a friend of mine, I discovered that they had the standard Open Class (g-bugle times) size hornline. After reminiscing the 80's and 90's, their size was fine with me. None-the-less, I loved looking at Madison's spread on the field. It was like a hornline buffet :)

Are you sure? We alreadt addressed Boston. Two of us on this thread agree that they had 79 with one hole (which further proves my point that corps are struggling to make it). As for Cavies and Coats, those were two of the corps that I'm almost certain had a hole or two.

Again, you can say 80 on paper but if you didn't make that number by August, it proves my point that corps are struggling to make the 150 goal.

What do u mean by "stuggling to make the 150 goal" Having 79 horns is not struggling.

I think having 150 is fine. I have no problem with it at all

Me too. I have no problem with it either? That's not the subject I am discussing though. I'm discussing whether or not the new max number has been a successful change or not. Are enough corps reaching 150 for the rule change to be fair? That's the topic. Not whether or not we think it's a good idea.

I like Waffles!

Boston, just like any corps with any number of people in any section has holes due to injuries. If you watched Boston at finals they had 80 in the hornline. How do you know that the corps that had less than a full hornline didn't just have an injury that day? Even for DCI alternates could not fill a hole that quickly.

Also, I know for a fact Boston had 8 hornline alternates this past year. I don't see how that is struggling for an 80 person hornline.

The 150 was a Hoppy induced proposal. We don't live in our world anymore. Darth Vader is God and the empire rules all. Be thankful for the Jedi Knights!

79 is not 80 "for all intended purposes".

First off, the phrase is "intents and purposes."

Secondly, yes, for all intents and purposes, 79 is the same as 80. No one cares about one spot one way or another - for any normal person, a 79 man or 81 man hornline would be considered "an 80 man hornline."

Edited by mobrien

I saw how small Phantom looked and was disappointed. Then after talking to a friend of mine, I discovered that they had the standard Open Class (g-bugle times) size hornline. After reminiscing the 80's and 90's, their size was fine with me. None-the-less, I loved looking at Madison's spread on the field. It was like a hornline buffet :)

Me too man! And that's the thing. I have no problem with 150. In fact, the three corps that had the 80+ member hornlines happened to be my favorites this year.

I just wish more than 5 corps were capable of reaching that number. I remember the days that if you were a finalist (or finalist conteender), a hole was considered a serious problem that could cost you come finals night. And if it didn't cost you, ohhh the protesting. I can remember wheb Santa Clara won with two holes, you would have thought they marched a clarinet soloist by the amount of protesting.

So now 7 holes is considered acceptable? When did we lower THAT standard of quality?

Yeah, I agree with your post though. Madison was GLORIOUS with their 84 this year! LOVED it!